Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Greetings all!

My name is Tim and I run global business, mastering in gaming, and a successful game call Day of Chaos. All our staff use Macs given to them by us, their own, we dont own them. I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard. I understand the Macs come with Lion, but we can not migrate to Lion yet, as we have began testing Lion on our systems, but not ready for release to our company yet.

Will the latest version of Snow Leopard work for the Macbook Pros?

Here is the official specs:

2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MPB 15" Glossy WS Display
Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

Thank you for your time Mac lovers!

EDIT: Success!

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Greetings all!

My name is Tim and I run global business, mastering in gaming, and a successful game call Day of Chaos. All our staff use Macs given to them by us, their own, we dont own them. I recently placed an order for 200 Macbook Pro's With 2.5Ghz, and 8GB of RAM to give to all them.

Currently, we only have licenses for Leopard and Snow leopard. I understand the Macs come with Lion, but we can not migrate to Lion yet, as we have began testing Lion on our systems, but not ready for release to our company yet.

Will the latest version of Snow Leopard work for the Macbook Pros?

Here is the official specs:

2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7400
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MPB 15" Glossy WS Display
Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

Thank you for your time Mac lovers!

I've read on this forum that it's possible to install Snow Leopard on a new MB Pro, search around the forum and hopefully you'll find the thread that tells you how to do this :).

----------

Was searching on google on how to install Leopard on a Snow Leopard based Mac and ended up finding this on How to Install OS X Snow Leopard on a Lion Based Mac. Hope this helps.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Wrong

No. Snow Leopard will crash upon boot or be very unstable.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I took an SSD with SL installed from my first gen Mac Pro and installed it in my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Well, a few of them arrived today. I'm thinking of try SL on 10.6.8, but I wonder if it will 100% use all the hardware, lacking drivers and such.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Success!

It works perfectly! I got a hold of a early 2011 disk with 10.6.7 update (downloaded the .ISO from the web). Of course, trackpad was funky, keyboard top keys didnt work, and it thought I had a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

But that was solved by installing 10.6.8 though software update. Everything works, just like normal! Keyboard, trackpad, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works just like it was installed when it arrives.

SL for the win!

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I would have imagined that when placing an order as large as that one, the purchaser might have done a little research before hand or at least asked Apple (via the Apple store chat or AppleCare) if such a setup would work before placing the order. ;)

I don't believe you should have any problems with Snow Leopard running on machines that ship with Lion.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I would have imagined that when placing an order as large as that one, the purchaser might have done a little research before hand or at least asked Apple (via the Apple store chat or AppleCare) if such a setup would work before placing the order. ;)

I don't believe you should have any problems with Snow Leopard running on machines that ship with Lion.

We did. If anything we were going to run Snow Leopard in a virtual machine. But being able to have it officially run is awesome.

Thank you to MacRumors and of course Apple for including the drivers for the late 2011 models in 10.6.8 ;)

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Apple must love you for ordering half a million dollars worth of computers lol..

Mind me asking if they gave you a discount on the order?

----------

Apple must love you for ordering half a million dollars worth of computers lol..

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Success!

SL for the win!

I would have thought that a company that was into software development would be sensitive to downloading bootleg ISO's off the web but I guess not.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011

----------

Hi, yes we do get a discount on the computer ranging from ~200-300. Its not much, but hey, if it works, it works. :)

Wow 200 MBP on order I only dream of having that many
They arn't all for me, lol, they are all for the staff. :)

so, when will that game of yours appear?

good to hear that SL works ;)

I dont want people thinking my purpose was to advertise, but you can PM me, and I will be glad to give you the link. :)

I would have thought that a company that was into software development would be sensitive to downloading bootleg ISO's off the web but I guess not.

Sorry for the confusion. The actual ISO we downloaded was from a development server. I dont believe they are any legit 10.6.7 copies floating on the web. (Were they even on the retail disk?)

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Sorry for the confusion. The actual ISO we downloaded was from a development server. I dont believe they are any legit 10.6.7 copies floating on the web. (Were they even on the retail disk?)

Highest retail disc was 10.6.3 to answer your question. That's what causes issues with the newer MBP's, as the 10.6.6 build they came with was special due to the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt hardware. The 10.6.7 update forked the code (different patch based on hardware), then they merged again for 10.6.8

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Highest retail disc was 10.6.3 to answer your question. That's what causes issues with the newer MBP's, as the 10.6.6 build they came with was special due to the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt hardware. The 10.6.7 update forked the code (different patch based on hardware), then they merged again for 10.6.8

That explains why the drivers and everything then worked once 10.6.8 was installed. So that means Apple did put drivers for the late 2011 MBP in 10.6.8 correct? Otherwise, the update I'm sure would not have fixed anything.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
That explains why the drivers and everything then worked once 10.6.8 was installed. So that means Apple did put drivers for the late 2011 MBP in 10.6.8 correct? Otherwise, the update I'm sure would not have fixed anything.

More than likely, and you probably had a non-2011 10.6.7 build.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

You can see there where they forked the 10.6.7 patch..

Just as a FYI though, if you have problems with one of those computers Apple's "official" line will be that they're not OS supported since they're running an earlier version of the OS they shipped with. May not take grief carrying them into a genius, and I can imagine with 200 of them you have internal tech support, but just saying as I'm sure there's going to be one miscreant out of those 200 that won't want to play.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
More than likely, and you probably had a non-2011 10.6.7 build.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

You can see there where they forked the 10.6.7 patch..

Just as a FYI though, if you have problems with one of those computers Apple's "official" line will be that they're not OS supported since they're running an earlier version of the OS they shipped with. May not take grief carrying them into a genius, and I can imagine with 200 of them you have internal tech support, but just saying as I'm sure there's going to be one miscreant out of those 200 that won't want to play.

Yes, I work in the tech department and we service and repair our own machines. Thank you for that, they are under AppleCare and we will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.