Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domcole

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I'm getting rid of my Sky+ subscription which is costing £90 per month because I only watch the odd movie now and again and end up watching some BBC stuff on iPlayer later, rather than when it's broadcasted.

Anyway I have browsed the iTunes store and had a look at the content I'd be interested in (movies and tv series) and wanted to know if the pricing I have seen is reflected on Apple TV, or is it different?

Thanks in advanced

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Thanks.

Can I buy movies and programs to keep like on iTunes on or are they only to rent?

AppleTV only allows you to rent movies. There is no access to TV Shows in the iTunes store on the AppleTV in the UK.

If you want to buy them you would need to do that via iTunes on your pc/mac, and then stream them to the AppleTV from your pc/mac via iTunes.

domcole

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2008
AppleTV only allows you to rent movies. There is no access to TV Shows in the iTunes store on the AppleTV in the UK.

If you want to buy them you would need to do that via iTunes on your pc/mac, and then stream them to the AppleTV from your pc/mac via iTunes.

Sorry I meant tv series!

Oh that would be great. Is it only possible to stream, or can I store them on ATV like an external HD? Thanks for your help.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Sorry I meant tv series!

Oh that would be great. Is it only possible to stream, or can I store them on ATV like an external HD? Thanks for your help.

no, appletv has no user accessible storage, and you can't connect any external storage to it.

if you want to stream locally stored content to it, then it must be in your itunes library (in the correct format for appletv) and itunes must be open and running to stream to the appletv.

the only content you can currently rent direct from the appletv in the UK is movies. there is no access to tv shows/series other than what you have locally stored.

domcole

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2008
no, appletv has no user accessible storage, and you can't connect any external storage to it.

if you want to stream locally stored content to it, then it must be in your itunes library (in the correct format for appletv) and itunes must be open and running to stream to the appletv.

the only content you can currently rent direct from the appletv in the UK is movies. there is no access to tv shows/series other than what you have locally stored.

Thanks, that's a big help. I assumed I would have access to tv series but no biggie. I'll still get an ATV then just stream stuff from my Mac.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Thanks, that's a big help. I assumed I would have access to tv series but no biggie. I'll still get an ATV then just stream stuff from my Mac.

you will have access to tv series, providing you have already bought them from the itunes store and they are stored locally in your itunes library.

of course, you can rip your own content too and add that to your itunes library to stream to the appletv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.