Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Let me start by saying I know Verizon has upgraded data plans, but I refuse to sepnd $50 a month... I think $25 is already enough. I am getting a new iPad 2 to replce my old one that broke... I am thinking this time of getting the 3G verison. How many of the 3G owners find the 2GB cap enough?

Captain America

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Let me start by saying I know Verizon has upgraded data plans, but I refuse to sepnd $50 a month... I think $25 is already enough. I am getting a new iPad 2 to replce my old one that broke... I am thinking this time of getting the 3G verison. How many of the 3G owners find the 2GB cap enough?

I just bought a 3G + WiFi iPad 2 today and so while I can't say whether or not this 2GB is enough (they do have a 3GB option on AT&T for $35), I did have 2GB on my iphone and I somehow never once hit the mark. I always came quite close though. 1900MB for example. That's a lot of web browsing, game downloading, speed tests, video downloads.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
I just bought a 3G + WiFi iPad 2 today and so while I can't say whether or not this 2GB is enough (they do have a 3GB option on AT&T for $35), I did have 2GB on my iphone and I somehow never once hit the mark. I always came quite close though. 1900MB for example. That's a lot of web browsing, game downloading, speed tests, video downloads.

They do have a 3GB plan? Good to know. I havehad the iPhone since the first one so I have been grandfathered in to the unlimited, so I have never really paid attention to how much I used... I wish i oculd use that as a key..

Captain America

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
They do have a 3GB plan? Good to know. I havehad the iPhone since the first one so I have been grandfathered in to the unlimited, so I have never really paid attention to how much I used... I wish i oculd use that as a key..

If you call AT&T, or maybe even go to the store they can tell you how much you use. That's how I found out how much I use (through the phone). And yeah, I didn't know about the 3GB plan till today when the salesman told me. I'm holding off on that one though until I know I need it.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
If you call AT&T, or maybe even go to the store they can tell you how much you use. That's how I found out how much I use (through the phone). And yeah, I didn't know about the 3GB plan till today when the salesman told me. I'm holding off on that one though until I know I need it.

AT&T has no 3gb plan. They have a 2GB plan, that if you go over you get charged $10. So 3GB is $35....if you use 4GB it's 45, etc....

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
If you log onto your AT&T account online, you can see your past data usage even if you are on the unlimited. I check mine every once in a while.

There are other size data plans for the iPhone, but I'm not sure there is for the iPad. You could always call to ask.

cheeseburger2

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
I have that plan, and I find the cap sufficient because with my iPad the lion's share of my browsing happens via wifi at home. It's only when I travel or have the iPad at off-site meetings that I'm even using the 3g.

There have been a few months I've been on the road where it's been close, but you can meter your usage and piggyback on wifi where you can.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA

I guess it all depends on the user how much is needed. I have had my ATT 3g iPad for several months and never have come close to 250 mb ($15.00) in one month. I mainly use 3g for mail and a bit of web surfing. I am also surprised at the amount of free wifi around where I live, but I am glad I have the 3g for when wifi is not available at all.

With the iPads, you don't have a monthly data plan as you would with a cell phone. You buy the amount you think you will need, if you run out before 30 days is up, you buy more or go without. You don't have to buy data every month if you don't need it. I really like the way the plans work.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Damn you guys get stung! :eek:

I pay £15 (~$23) per month for 10gb data.

No corporations are greedier than American corporations.

This is the only reason I jailbroke my iPhone.

$10 for 2GB on my iPhone, tethered to my iPad.

I just wish I had known about it before I wasted my money on a 3G iPad.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
You have to take into consideration that the square mileage of the USA is huge compared to most other countries. The cost of the infrastructure has to be outrageous. Not to mention, they have to upgrade the towers every couple of years to keep up with their competitors.

But I am sure that has nothing to do with the cost when comparing it to a little island like England which probably has a few towers to cover the entire country.

No corporations are greedier than American corporations.

This is the only reason I jailbroke my iPhone.

$10 for 2GB on my iPhone, tethered to my iPad.

I just wish I had known about it before I wasted my money on a 3G iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My data plan has a 12gb cap, but I typically use a lot less than 1 gb each month. Could be more, but the 3G network is so slow that I usually just fall back on wireless at home. :p

I guess it is really up to the individual user. :)

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I could probably get away with 200MB since I am mostly on WiFi at work and home. Check your usage either on your bill or under settings. Your usage will vary. 2GB may be WAY more than enough...then again it may be too little.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
How many of the 3G owners find the 2GB cap enough?

I've found it way more than enough. First time I purchased the AT&T $25 2GB plan was during a road trip to Chicago. Kept my iPad on for hours checking traffic and road conditions while we traveled and used it constantly while in the city, as well as on the way home. Never came close to using the full 2GB.

During a subsequent weekend road trip, purchased the $15 (250 mb) plan. Never used all that either, in spite of keeping the 3G on while in the hotel since their wireless was so crappy.

BTW, AT&T offers two purchase options: 2GB or 250 mb. It's very easy to set up on the iPad 2 and even easier to renew, once your 30 days has expired. I'm quite happy with the pricing and the service.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Not to me. just last month I used 15 gb of 4g from Sprint. if you do a lot of video streaming forget 2gb. Im 3 days in the new billing cycle and I alreadh used 3 gb lol...

2 gb is stupid with so many video streaming apps these days and counting..

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I have the 2 gig from AT&T and travel a lot. I have even used Skype for 20-40 mins a day for about a week plus checking email, surfing, etc and never came close to the 2gigs. One trip I kept it on the whole trip while we drove and followed on the map. So for me it's plenty.

However, if you plan on doing any streaming of video or music you it may not be enough. Of course if you just stream music you can always use your phone.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
I haven't gone over 1GB for a month yet. I don't have wifi at my store and use it to access the web everyday, all day. I stream tons of music, watched a MLB game about everyother day, and now I stream Sunday Ticket all day on Sundays.

Sometimes there's wifi around, and sometimes there isn't. I don't notice and use my iPad as much as I need it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You have to take into consideration that the square mileage of the USA is huge compared to most other countries. The cost of the infrastructure has to be outrageous. Not to mention, they have to upgrade the towers every couple of years to keep up with their competitors.

But I am sure that has nothing to do with the cost when comparing it to a little island like England which probably has a few towers to cover the entire country.

To put it into perspective California is bigger than the uk and thats not even the largest state :D

Oh well, better call quality and more data for less money sounds good to me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'll start by saying that I chose Verizon because I wanted 3G in rural areas that my ATT iPhone never has 3G coverage. I would start with the 2GB plan and if you need a bit more you can add another gig for $10. Stick with this setup if you only occasionally go above 2GB, but if you find 3G limiting bump it up to the 5GB plan.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Then why would you pay for data in the first place?

For the times when WiFi isn't available...like outdoors or while travelling?

I think it's been shown that greater than 95% of users of iPads and iPhone use considerably less than 2GB of data each month. You obviously use more and you need more, but I think a great many can get away with a much lower plan, if available.

FWIW: I have my iPhone 4S with me and it shows that since I got the phone on October 14th I have only used 817MB of data...so that's about 410MB a month.

(I am currently on the AT&T unlimited plan, but it seems to make sense for me to drop it, since I come nowhere close to 2GB a month EVER. But again, everyone is different and you need more cellular data...most do not.)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How many of the 3G owners find the 2GB cap enough?
Polling others is pointless. Usage varies. You need to look at or estimate your usage. The amount data that I (or anyone else) use is completely irrelevant unless your usage happens to match mine.

If you log onto your AT&T account online, you can see your past data usage even if you are on the unlimited. I check mine every once in a while.
^ This

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I'm still grandfathered with unlimited but I think the real issue is that in practice 3G connectivity isn't practical for the kinds of things (e.g. Video streaming) that would seriously push you over the cap. I find for example that watching Netflix over 3G is pretty horrible, same with ABC and the like. Obviously ymmv as 3G ain't 3G ain't 3G, but that's been my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.