Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
So like the title says, How do you text multiple people WITHOUT creating a Group SMS/MMS?

For example, in the case where i'd like to text multiple people without them knowing each individual person whom i've also sent to.

The only option i've seen is to turn group chat completely on or off, but is there an in-between?

Thanks!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So like the title says, How do you text multiple people WITHOUT creating a Group SMS/MMS?

For example, in the case where i'd like to text multiple people without them knowing each individual person whom i've also sent to.

The only option i've seen is to turn group chat completely on or off, but is there an in-between?

Thanks!
1. Copy, paste to different SMS threads.
2. Email, BCC.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice

Thanks!

Do you want to send a single text to many recipients as if you sent each single message one-by-one ?
If using iOS4, turn off Group Messaging in settings.
If using iOS5, turn off iMessage, Group Messaging and MMS in settings.

After you sent the group text you can turn them on again.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
You can see each others replies too with iOS5.

NOT a good thing if you ask me, that has disaster written all over it.

bov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
Do you want to send a single text to many recipients as if you sent each single message one-by-one ?

Yes! this is exactly what i'd like to do. However, when you add multiple recipients, iMessage automatically creates a Group text (in doing this everyone sees who else you've also sent to)

I guess we just have to wait until theres an option to choose whether you will either:

1. create Group text or

2. text multiple people the same message without Group text..

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or turn the options off as suggested in my post!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Yeah, sometimes I don't like group messaging. You get everyone's replies. It's that annoying "reply all" in emails. I get texts from people asking who I am and I get random texts. Too much. I just wish that each would go into their own thread.

Reactions: jagooch

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009

That's a pain though. Shouldn't have to do that just to sent a text to multiple people. There should be some type of option. BBM is still much better than iMessage.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
You can see each others replies too with iOS5.

NOT a good thing if you ask me, that has disaster written all over it.

haha Well isn't kind of implied with "group" messaging? There's still the option of sending a message to individuals directly

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
I use this http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/group-text!-mass-text-sms/id377826584?mt=8

Make sure you turn off MMS, Group Message, iMessage.

Hey that's my app :) I hope you like it. And thanks for suggesting it to other people :)

----------

That's a pain though. Shouldn't have to do that just to sent a text to multiple people. There should be some type of option. BBM is still much better than iMessage.

I'm talking with Apple engineers since October about this. I hope they'll come up with a better solution soon!

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
so i take it there's still no option to send SMS to multiple recipients without creating groups? that's ridiculous!

mikecheckDev

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Another app

I have this application on the app store currently:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textwiz/id409087945?mt=8&uo=4

However, it is currently undergoing a major overall. The new version is almost complete (should be out in about 2 weeks) and includes the ability to manage all your own groups, etc.

Anyway, you can create a "group" and then send the same message to all members individually. The app has some additional features such as inserting Personal information into each message, but if you're just looking to send messages without the annoying "group look" it will work great for that too.

(Also, there is no need to change anything in the settings to use the app in the way I describe!)

Tip: I'll probably raise the price once I release the new version, so it would be best to get it now before the update!

Minor disclaimer: Some people have noticed some mysterious crashes with the current version, but those are also being repaired in the new version. (Along with a robust automatic crash reporting system, since Apple's doesn't work well.) Sorry if you see them, but they will be gone soon. :)

Reactions: ravianz

WeetaBiXie

macrumors regular

andynor

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
With app "Contacts In : Import CSV & Manage Groups" you can send broadcast messages

With app "Contacts In : Import CSV & Manage Groups" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contacts-in-import-csv-manage/id549639443?ls=1&mt=8) you can send SMS or email to any number of selected contacts.
Contacts are selected by selecting checkbox next to contacts, one click per contact, very fast and easy:
contacts_select_small2.png

then you choose what action to do for selected contacts: send SMS, email, assign to group or delete:
contacts_action_small.png

See detailed description with more screenshots here: http://csvcontacts.wordpress.com/iphone-groups-broadcast/
When sending SMS actually iPhone will send individual SMS to each of the receipient

FitandWell

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
This is cool and all, but 160 characters max blows. Come on apple you are so awesome...I know you can figure this one out.
-on iphone5

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
This is cool and all, but 160 characters max blows. Come on apple you are so awesome...I know you can figure this one out.
-on iphone5

You mean figuring out how to SMS over 160 characters? I bet they can also make an app that will let you know the thread you're replying to is 18 months old.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
That's a really stupid and inefficient was of going about cc'ing multiple people..
OP didn't want to CC, he wants to BCC. There is no precedence for this over sms. It's very non-standard.
Also a very old thread...

seela636

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
OP didn't want to CC, he wants to BCC. There is no precedence for this over sms. It's very non-standard.
Also a very old thread...

So scrolling through
[doublepost=1504816069][/doublepost]Apologies, hit send before I finished thought. So scrolling through, was there or is there now a definitive answer to how to send out a txt to multiple recipients without everyone being able to see everyone's contact info? Or app,out there that will do so? I'm a gamer and our guild/clan has folks that would like to receive alerts for raids but not everyone wants their private numbers out there for everyone to see, for good reason. As leader they'd allow for me to have the info but I'm having a hard time finding a way to make a grp where we can all be 'anonymous' in terms of keeping private contact info safe. We currently use Line app for messaging and let me tel you, those alerts do not walk folks up or make enough noise, lol.
Any new advice?

spike01

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Looking for an app that can texts multiple groups within imessages and or sms. Any ideas on how you can do this? Trying to find a way to mass text a distribution lists with in each teams and keep them separate. So far all I have seen is just single group texts.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Looking for an app that can texts multiple groups within imessages and or sms. Any ideas on how you can do this? Trying to find a way to mass text a distribution lists with in each teams and keep them separate. So far all I have seen is just single group texts.

Why don't you look at something like Slack?

ZakKline

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
We made an app that can do this called Hit Em Up (link). It lets you BCC Text people on your iPhone.

You select the folks you want to send to in the app, write your message (you can insert people's first or last name into the body of the message to personalize it), and then tap send.

Hit-Em-Up-App-group-text-app-without-reply-all-personalized-texts-169x300.png

bcc-text-message-iphone-android-Hit-Em-Up-App-Preview-Screen-576x1024.png

It's pretty straightforward and free to try. If you need help here is an article on how to get started: BCC Text Message. You can also check out our FAQ and our current tutorial video:

Hope that helps, and please give us your feedback if you like it or think of how we can improve it for you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.