Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstunbound

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2009
First of all, I'm not sure this is in the right forum, so if it needs to be moved, please do.

Since I upgraded to iTunes 10.5, iOS5, 10.7.2, etc, my iTunes keeps having to determine gapless playback for certain songs. It started off as about 80 songs, but as I've imported more music, those songs get added to the list, and it's currently around 200 songs. Additionally, it's not just when I open iTunes, it also starts the process over sometimes when I switch to iTunes from another application, or even when I import something like a book into iTunes. So far it's nothing more than a pain, but as I keep adding more and more music, I can see this getting worse.

I run a 2.2 GHz MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM and system 10.7.2. My iTunes library is all on an external WD terabyte.

Thanks

rutskiuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Also happening with Win 7 64bit

I've had the exact same problem with 10.5.0.142
Always the same tracks, upon launch and synchronisation
I can't see the sense in it at all

dstunbound

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and bump this because it's getting worse and worse, it's not taking longer and longer to process this activity when I awake from sleep, add music, or change tags. It's driving me nuts.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm going to go ahead and bump this because it's getting worse and worse, it's not taking longer and longer to process this activity when I awake from sleep, add music, or change tags. It's driving me nuts.
Might be an iTunes 10.5 bug. Have you updated to 10.5.1 yet?

dstunbound

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Unfortunately still no resolution on this issue. I've tried updating iTunes, running mp3 repair programs, removing the songs and reimporting them, etc... and it still runs through the DGP process every time.

Apple is of no help, as per.

ptys

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
I think it may be due to corrupt MP3 files? Try converting the MP3's to AAC in the advanced menu, then just delete the original files and you should be good!

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Same thing here iTunes keeps saying updating 426 files on my iPod. It's always sane ones I don't get it. Restored iPod already.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Yes but some of the songs that say updating are already AAC or store bought. So I think it's just a bug. I never had this before so I don't see why with 5.0 it happens.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i looked at what you said, but the songs that continue to say updating files and also updating genius are store bought songs and although they are bought i did convert them and try that, but it still does the same thing! it must be iTunes, because i restored my iPod already and that did nothing. UGH! i miss 4.x at least then it was no problem updating iPods.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I think it may be due to corrupt MP3 files? Try converting the MP3's to AAC in the advanced menu, then just delete the original files and you should be good!
i decided to see if it was the actual file or not. The files that were saying updated were files i bought on iTunes. So i decided to redownload them straight from iTunes and that seems to be working and now it updates one less file each time. I copied the redownloaded song back to my iPod and now the amount of songs updating is less one. maybe the files were corrupt. Although i don't see how considering they played fine and i bought them through iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.