Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I haven't started using iCloud or Match yet.. but I'd like to have all my music in the cloud. It would be nice to be able to stream it to my PC at work, which doesn't have iTunes on it, and I'm not allowed to install it because of our militant PC IT guy.. I'm betting it's a no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.. Is there any way to connect and stream my music through a browser, like the way Google Music works?

Or am I stuck needing an apple device or itunes to get my music?

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I haven't started using iCloud or Match yet.. but I'd like to have all my music in the cloud. It would be nice to be able to stream it to my PC at work, which doesn't have iTunes on it, and I'm not allowed to install it because of our militant PC IT guy.. I'm betting it's a no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.. Is there any way to connect and stream my music through a browser, like the way Google Music works?

Yes, that would be GREAT!

However, that isn't happening any time soon.

So do what I did. Use both iTunes Match and Google Music.

First get your iTunes Match files in good shape. Then install Google Music and upload everything.

The only downside is the initial upload time. I have 1 Mbps up with 3600 songs. It took over three days to upload it all.

Now I have 3773 songs and didn't even notice the Google Music software uploading my new songs in the background.

Now I can listen to all my songs on any computer with Internet access.

BTW
I don't have any DRM songs. I upgraded them to iTunes Plus and repurchased about 20 DRM songs not eligible to upgrade to iTunes Plus.

Bottom line, use the best of both worlds.

Play all your DRM free songs from a web browser with Google Music!

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Yep I've been using Google music too, but I'm an Apple nerd so I would rather just use iTunes :) I just hope Google doesn't start charging.... I'm guessing they will some day. I have about 40 gigs worth of music, so that means I'd need to spend $100 for iTunes Match, but I wouldn't pay for Google at all. Right now I don't know that I want to spend the money on iTunes Match + extra storage.. unless they you could stream the movies you bought too. Hopefully they'll add that soon.

I have an Apple TV too, so I thought it would be good to have Match for that.. but then, I can just connect to my mac anyway, which might be better that streaming over the interweb?

And then there's the Kindle Fire I just got as a gift, and Amazon wants you to use their service only, so they won't allow you to install google music without hacks.. the web version works though, but still.

I wish all the kids could play in the same sandbox :(

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Necross said:

I'm afraid until they have a "web version" there's no tangible benefit with this itunes music cloud for me.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I'm assuming you don't have an iPad / iPod touch or iPhone?

If you did you could just plug some headphones into that and stream over the wifi at work.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No iPhone. I just can't justify $80+ a month to have an internet in my pocket I'll never use. I barely ever use my cellphone as it is, I have a $100 prepaid T Mobile phone, that I started in June and I still have like 78 minutes left on it :)

I have an iPod touch, I use that sometimes but I usually forget to bring it and I don't want to leave it at my desk all the time. So, yeah, I guess I'll just have to stick with Google Music for the time being.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This won't help you today, but it's a pretty good bet that Apple will take iTunes fully into the cloud. The iTunes Store already is. Now that iCloud is out and Match is being rolled out, putting people's collection in the cloud, I believe that a web UI will be the next step @ iTunes.com

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

logmein.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.