Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agahnim22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
My iPhone 4S went into recovery mode mysteriously. Is there any way to get it back on without restoring? I haven't synced with iTunes in a couple weeks and I had videos on there that I really need. I've tried RecBoot, iRecovery, and Tiny Umbrealla; none of them have worked. If anyone knows a way to take videos off my iPhone (from the pictures application) while in recovery mode that would definitely help me as well.

When I connect to iTunes a message on iTunes pops up that says it has found an iPhone in recovery mode and must be restored, nothing shows up on the iPhone's screen though.

TinyUmbrella detects a device in DFU mode but doesn't give me an option to exit recovery mode. It does give me the option to "fix recovery", but this doesn't seem to do anything.

RecBoot doesn't even detect an iPhone connected and neither does iRecovery.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Do you think if I wait for the jailbreak to release for 5.0.1 it'll get my iphone back on?

I wouldnt sit there and wait for a JB for the 4S hoping to fix your issue.
Most likelly it needs a restore and a JB tool wont be able to kick it out of recovery.
From now on you should backup more often if you have valuable info you dont want to lose.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Do you think if I wait for the jailbreak to release for 5.0.1 it'll get my iphone back on?

Well Yes If you want to? There is some guy promising a real jailbreak on Christmas so If you can pop your sim into another phone until Christmas than usually unless its the kind of jailbreak with a custom IPSW you can get out of recovery!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Well Yes If you want to? There is some guy promising a real jailbreak on Christmas so If you can pop your sim into another phone until Christmas than usually unless its the kind of jailbreak with a custom IPSW you can get out of recovery!

Even jailbreak comes out for 4S, it might not solve the problem that OP is facing though. If the jailbreak tool can jailbreak his phone as is which put his phone into DFU mode, jailbreak and bring it back out, then that would be great. Otherwise, he/she still need to restore and therefore, OP can't recover back his info in the phone.

Agahnim22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks for the help guys. I usually back it up every few weeks, I've had an iphone since 2007 and never had this happen to me so I didn't expect this. I'm still debating what if I should restore it or not. I took some videos of the Jay-Z and Kanye concert from row 2 on the floor Wednesday night and I'd really hate to lose them :(

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Even jailbreak comes out for 4S, it might not solve the problem that OP is facing though. If the jailbreak tool can jailbreak his phone as is which put his phone into DFU mode, jailbreak and bring it back out, then that would be great. Otherwise, he/she still need to restore and therefore, OP can't recover back his info in the phone.
Well, If he has an iPhone 4 I am sure he could live without Siri:eek: for A couple months at the most!

Agahnim22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Wow I can't even restore my phone, just got this message when trying to restore it:

picture2dd.png

Anything else I should try before taking it to the genius bar?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Guess it's too late since you already tried restoring, but I think using tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery would've done the trick. Or you could've tried doing it manually with irecovery (I think the commands are setenv auto-boot true; saveenv; reboot). Depends on why the device went into recovery though.

Except I now realize you seem to have been stuck in DFU mode based on your first post. A DFU loop pretty much requires a restore to fix, but I can't imagine getting stuck in one in a non jailbroken state

Kashika

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
Keep resetting the phone by holding the power and the home button. It should at some point just boot up.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Guess it's too late since you already tried restoring, but I think using tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery would've done the trick. Or you could've tried doing it manually with irecovery (I think the commands are setenv auto-boot true; saveenv; reboot). Depends on why the device went into recovery though.

Except I now realize you seem to have been stuck in DFU mode based on your first post. A DFU loop pretty much requires a restore to fix, but I can't imagine getting stuck in one in a non jailbroken state

He has a 4S, none of those programs work for the 4S.

Agahnim22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Keep resetting the phone by holding the power and the home button. It should at some point just boot up.

I've tried this at least 100 times :/

Even though nothing has worked I appreciate all the help guys

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
He has a 4S, none of those programs work for the 4S.

You sure about that? Last I checked kicking a phone out of recovery was not dependent on any exploits. It just used commands builtin to the phone. It does depend on *why* the phone is in recovery. If it's stuck in a recovery loop due to the wrong baseband, then you're correct, nothing will work. That's an unusual case though.

Okay I just forced my 4S into recovery mode and hit "exit recovery" in tinyumbrella. It works fine. People really need to test things before declaring it impossible.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
My bad. Yes TU has been updated for the 4S.
The other programs I don't think though.
And yes they would need to be rewritten to support the new hardware.

*not* for exiting recovery mode. I just tried TinyUmbrella 4.33.00 (the oldest version I have access to) and it also works fine with the 4S. I bet irecovery would work fine too. I could take a video if you'd really like.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Interesting, I believe you.
Seems though as they didn't help the OP. He's still stuck.

Yea, it looks like he's stuck in a DFU loop rather than recovery (itunes itself calls both recovery, which is what led to the confusion I think). I think restoring is the only option to get out of a DFU loop. Since restoring doesn't do the trick for him, I'm guessing his phone has some kind of hardware issue.

Error 28 is familiar to me, but I can't for remember exactly what causes it... Only thing I can suggest is trying a different USB port or different computer. I know I've had some really strange issues in the past that were solved by changing ports.

daniruth

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Ireland
Yes I also heard of 28 having to do with hardware.
I'd give a restore a shot and if not bring it for a replacement.

Last week, I had exactly the same problem described here with my iPhone 4S. I tried DFU mode, recovery mode, etc.... and it kept giving me an error, no matter what I tried. I took it to the Genius Bar and they said that the iPhone had developed a problem with the logic board.
They gave me a new one straight away.
Sorry if this is not good news,
Dani

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.