Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imamacdummy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
okay so i was on the computer last night and closed the computer with twitter still up as i went to bed, well when i woke up this morning the computer was going really slow and it gave me enough time to change the wireless connection and then it froze. It wont let me do anything. At first i was pressing the power button and a screen popped up that says, " restart, Sleep, Cancle and Shutdown" but it wont let me press anything to them. I have tried everything like the keyboard shut down, the escape and holding the power button down for 10 secs and so on. I can still hear its running, and the battery is slowly dieing so thats a good thing i think. Also the screen goes black and the only way i can get it to light back up is by holding the power button.. Please help! Its on a Macbook laptop!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have tried everything like the keyboard shut down, the escape and holding the power button down for 10 secs and so on.
Press and hold the power button for longer, until it goes off. It should power off in less than 10 seconds, but it could take longer. There is no need to take the battery out, especially if it's a built-in battery. (You didn't mention what model you have, and some MacBooks have removable batteries, some don't.)

imamacdummy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
nah its okay, my fault should of added that in there.

----------

Press and hold the power button for longer, until it goes off. It should power off in less than 10 seconds, but it could take longer. There is no need to take the battery out, especially if it's a built-in battery. (You didn't mention what model you have, and some MacBooks have removable batteries, some don't.)

i just tried that, that box that says "restart, sleep, cancle and shutdown" is still there and i think thats the reason its not doing anything. its never done that before..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
nah its okay, my fault should of added that in there.

----------

i just tried that, that box that says "restart, sleep, cancle and shutdown" is still there and i think thats the reason its not doing anything. its never done that before..
Did you select shutdown? If the trackpad doesn't respond, try using the keyboard.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
yeah shutdown is highlighted blue but it dosent respond when i press enter or try and move the arrown with the keyboard
Do you have an external keyboard you can connect? Also, do you have another Mac that you could connect via Screen Sharing?

imamacdummy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Do you have an external keyboard you can connect? Also, do you have another Mac that you could connect via Screen Sharing?

I dont have either :( the only other apple i have is an ipod touch would that help and i also have an hp and dell..

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pull the power cord and wait for it to go flat!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
the 13 inch, and its either the late 2009 one or the mid 2010 one..
Well, all MacBooks are 13 inch, but yours has the built-in battery, so it sounds like your only choice is to wait for the battery to die. Leave it unplugged and let it die on its own. Then plug it in and power it up. That might be all you need to resolve the problem.

imamacdummy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Well, all MacBooks are 13 inch, but yours has the built-in battery, so it sounds like your only choice is to wait for the battery to die. Leave it unplugged and let it die on its own. Then plug it in and power it up. That might be all you need to resolve the problem.

okay THANK YOU SO MUCH! so i just plug it into the wall after it dies and the turn it on, i read somewhere else you put some disk in should i do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.