Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bolisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I'm trying to setup a static address so i can reach my apple tv from the outside with ssh.

I am behind my router, so i'm trying to get my appletv to update my IP address to a service like dyndns of freedns.

So what i'm looking for is a dynamic DNS client in the likes of 'inadyn' that can run on my appletv. I've already tried inadyn, but i got the error 'cannot execute binary file'.

did i not install inadyn correctly? or does is simply not run on appletv? should i be using a different client?

thanks in advance
lars

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
I'm trying to setup a static address so i can reach my apple tv from the outside with ssh.

I am behind my router, so i'm trying to get my appletv to update my IP address to a service like dyndns of freedns.

So what i'm looking for is a dynamic DNS client in the likes of 'inadyn' that can run on my appletv. I've already tried inadyn, but i got the error 'cannot execute binary file'.

did i not install inadyn correctly? or does is simply not run on appletv? should i be using a different client?

thanks in advance
lars

I think the easiest way is to assign a staid INTERNAL IP to your Appletv and then forward a port on your router to that address.

If you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP then there are services that can update you on the current address - such as DYNDNS.

bolisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
hi david, thanks for your reply.

If you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP then there are services that can update you on the current address - such as DYNDNS.

this is what i'm actually on about. I am looking for a service that can run on my appletv and send IP updates to a website like dyndns

tnx!

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
hi david, thanks for your reply.

this is what i'm actually on about. I am looking for a service that can run on my appletv and send IP updates to a website like dyndns

tnx!

Just forward the appropriate port from your router to your local IP address for your Apple TV.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

This isn't really how you should do it. You should setup your router with the DynDNS account info, then just set a static local IP for your ATV. Then you're good to go. Running a DynDNS client on ATV seems like a waste of resources (assuming its even available).

This make sense?

bolisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
This isn't really how you should do it. You should setup your router with the DynDNS account info, then just set a static local IP for your ATV. Then you're good to go. Running a DynDNS client on ATV seems like a waste of resources (assuming its even available).

This make sense?

You might be right on this one.

the problem is that when i try to set up my airport express to update my host
(click on the 'edit' button under the base station tab of the airport section in the airport utility) it doesn't work. is it because it just doesn't work with no-ip.com??

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Airport doesn't support dynamic DNS. Your choices are - get a router that does (e.g. Cisco/LinkSys), or run DynDNS client on a computer.

You won't be able to do it on AppleTV.

You might be right on this one.

the problem is that when i try to set up my airport express to update my host
(click on the 'edit' button under the base station tab of the airport section in the airport utility) it doesn't work. is it because it just doesn't work with no-ip.com??

bolisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Airport doesn't support dynamic DNS. Your choices are - get a router that does (e.g. Cisco/LinkSys), or run DynDNS client on a computer.

You won't be able to do it on AppleTV.

i read that it might work with 'mdyndns.com' but that site doesn't seem to work anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.