Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Hello everyone i was thinking of selling my old Macbook 2009, i usually just give them to a family member but could use the money for college coming up and my ipad is doing me just fine.

I have SL on it, should i put lion on it to make it more attractive to buyers? Thank you all for your help

2009 Macbook, no scratches, no dents.
13.3 inch display.
500GB 7400rpm hard drive.
4GB ram

Last edited by a moderator:

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I just bought a 13.5" 2009 refurb, 160GB hdd, 2.13 MHz core duo, Leopard. It was university lease. $500. Year warranty. I'd not upgrade to Lion because some people like me have already done that and we get free upgrades to 5 machines for $30.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I would hold onto it. There is no question you'll need a legitimate computer. An iPad alone will not work. You don't want to have to be borrowing computers/going to the computer lab all the time to type up papers.

Just two cents from a recent grad.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I would hold onto it. There is no question you'll need a legitimate computer. An iPad alone will not work. You don't want to have to be borrowing computers/going to the computer lab all the time to type up papers.

Just two cents from a recent grad.

I bought a Mac mini a few months ago, and have a traveler bag for it. I was going to use that as my main computer in my dorm. Is that not a good idea? My other two iMac's are being used in the house so i can not take them. I was given a 21.5 inch touch of color samsung monitor and was going to use that with the mac mini.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I bet the Mac Mini would work fine. Laptops are all the rage for college students primarily because of portability. I doubt that many actually haul them to class and use them to take notes and stuff. I know my kids never did.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I bet the Mac Mini would work fine. Laptops are all the rage for college students primarily because of portability. I doubt that many actually haul them to class and use them to take notes and stuff. I know my kids never did.

Yeah my cousins always tell me how their laptops were more of a desktop on their desks in their dorms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.