Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Ok, so after switching to all Apple products once again, and never going back to windows, I have some misc .wma and .avi. and .mp3 files I would like to convert to Apple's formats, but I need to do a large amount of these in bulk.

I have re-ripped a lot of the CD's but it is getting to be a painful task with nearly 500 CD collection, so I would rather just convert them to use in iTunes.

I know mp3 will work, but I no longer need any format other than Apple's.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Ok, so after switching to all Apple products once again, and never going back to windows, I have some misc .wma and .avi. and .mp3 files I would like to convert to Apple's formats, but I need to do a large amount of these in bulk.

I have re-ripped a lot of the CD's but it is getting to be a painful task with nearly 500 CD collection, so I would rather just convert them to use in iTunes.

For the .avi's, I use iVI. It also adds the metadata and there's even a setting to automatically add the finished files in iTunes. You can buy it for like four bucks in the mac app store.

When it comes to the music, I don't really see the point in converting it or re-ripping your collection.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
For batch conversion of movies I would def recommend iFlicks (http://www.iflicksapp.com/) yes it costs a few $ and yes Handbrake is free but still, one very smooth app and I've done about 100 full movies and 300+ tv shows w/ 100% hit rate on covers and meta data w/o any hiccups whatsoever

You say wma but I assume you mean wmv, either way no problem to convert either of these w/ tools out there

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
For audio files, I'd recommend X Lossless Decoder for Mac. It'll convert just about any format you throw at it into an .m4a. Obviously, this is something you'll want to do once you get you mac, but if you want to do it on your Windows machine before hand, you can always try using the built in decoder for iTunes. I recommended XLD for Mac because it's a little bit faster for batch converting, or at least that's what I've noticed.

For videos, lots of great suggestions so far for batch video converting.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Ditto for iTunes's built-in converting. Today I stumbled across some old .wma and .mp3 files on an old backup of the wifey's computer. I imported them into and converted them with iTunes. I then used iTunes Match to get a 256 Kbps version replacing the alarmingly low bitrate original.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
If you have files in mp3 format there's really no reason whatsoever to convert those to Apple's format. Any sort of conversion will potentially lower the sound quality (no conversion is going to improve the sound of the files) and any Apple device that can play .m4a files will have no problems with .mp3's.

If you're more concerned about file size than sound quality then you can iTunes to convert existing MP3's to AAC format, although I would advise against this. I used to do this when hard drive space was at a premium for me, but having recently upgraded I've just completed the process of re-ripping all of my CDs to high quality MP3 format. I find MP3s to be more versatile.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

The easiest, fastest and completely free to convert Windows-specific formats to Mac-friendly ones is using iTunes under a Windows emulator like Parallels.

Anna478

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
hey does anyone know of a program that will just convert my whole music folder on my external and replace the .wma format for .mp3?

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
MacX video (free)

This software will convert Windows media files to mp4 and it free, unlike most of the other apps.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
iSquint for MAC

Simple to use.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 115
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.