Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hello,

I have a friend with a 32GB iPod Touch 1st gen who forgot the passcode. Besides restoring the device by putting it into restore mode and having iTunes wipe it, is there any way to unlock the passcode?

I've tried using the latest iPhoneBrowser (1.9.3) to navigate the filesystem and remove the passcode, but it will not recognize the iPod. I've tried using redsn0w to unlock it, but when I put it into DFU mode, I get the error message: Not Supported for iPhone 3GS.

Is there anything else I can try, or are we out of luck?

Last edited:

tehpea

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
I removed the passcode from my iPod Touch 4G (iOS 5.0.1) by doing this (not sure if it'll work for your iPod):

1) Connect the iPod to your computer
2) Open iTunes. Right-click the iPod and choose Backup
3) After the backup has been completed, turn the iPod off (without unplugging it).
4) Enter DFU mode.
4a) Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds.
4b) After 3 seconds, keep holding the power button down and start holding down the Home button for 10 seconds.
4c) After 10 seconds, release the power button, but keep holding the home button. Your computer should detect the iPod in DFU mode.
5) iTunes should open up and say that the iPod has to be restored before it can be synced with the computer. If not, open iTunes.
6) Restore the iPod. iTunes will wipe it and install the latest firmware available for it (which will remove any jailbreak or hacks you might have)
7) After the iPod has been restored, iTunes will ask you whether you want to set your iPod up as a new device or from a back up. If you choose to set it up as a new device, you will have to select your music, videos, apps and pics again for them to be synced. If you choose to set it up from a backup (i.e. the backup you did at the start) it will automatically sync everything you had before.
8) Regardless of what step you choose, your iPod will ask you whether you want to set a new code up or not. This is optional.
9) You should have an unlocked iPod now

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I removed the passcode from my iPod Touch 4G (iOS 5.0.1) by doing this (not sure if it'll work for your iPod):

You gave instructions for to restore. This is something that he did now want to try doing. He was asking if there was any other way of unlocking or being able to use the iPod touch without restore...

Either way, it seems like OP has to restore or keep it the way it is...

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thank you for the listed steps tehpea, but Tech Elementz was right; I guess I'll just do a normal restore like you suggested and move on. It isn't a big deal, I was just curious if there was another way. I know there is a way to browse the filesystem on an iPod classic and delete the lock file, so the iPod will unlock, but obviously with an iTouch, it's going to be completely different.

jhagen

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
The quickest way

1) Plug into iTunes
2) Back up to iTunes
3) Download ipsw file (latest one) here
4) Press and hold Control (PC) or Command (Mac)
5) Click check for update on iTunes (still doing step #4)
6) Let go of buttons
7) Find your downloaded ipsw file.
8) Click select or yes button
9) wait until iTunes is finished.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
1) Plug into iTunes
2) Back up to iTunes
3) Download ipsw file (latest one) here
4) Press and hold Control (PC) or Command (Mac)
5) Click check for update on iTunes (still doing step #4)
6) Let go of buttons
7) Find your downloaded ipsw file.
8) Click select or yes button
9) wait until iTunes is finished.

.....this was 3 years ago... Im pretty sure they have it solved by now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.