Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alxbutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Manchester, England
Hi,

Last night my Flash Player suddenly stopped working and I was re-directed to the Adobe website where I was instructed to download the 'upgrade'.

I am using Mac OS X 10.5.8. I clicked the relevant app (Flash 10.3) but the app would not automatically download after a number of attempts.

I have tried downloading the app directly (eg. direct link to the DMG) and after mounting and 'installing', websites still say I do not have the right version.

I have also tried downloading the DMG onto another computer, using the USB drive to transfer it to my Mac, but this still doesn't work after 'installing'.

Anybody know why this is? Or how I can fix it? Seems like Adobe as many others are now developing a two speed application, one for new versions of Mac OS X, the other for users of older, pre-Snow Leopard users.

bridgedagap

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
adobe NOT working and won't install

suddenly a week or so ago all the video's stopped working and i got messages that i need to install adobe flash player
i have tried to install
install older versions
uninstall and re-install
NOTHING is working
i have OSX 10.5.8
:confused:
i have installed firefox (older version too) still i cannot seem to get the adobe

does anyone know what has happened, sounds like others are having issues with flash player not working suddenly also

and more importantly , anyone know my options...fix's

thanks, happy holidays ;)

ps: when i do download flash and try to install i get a message that 'processors with power pc no longer supported' with a link to the adobe flash version, which leads me to find the older version (says adobe flash 10 latest version should work...but none of the version 10 have worked so far)

pps: if anyone could email me that would be great, i'm new to this site and don't know yet how i'll get notification if anyone answers me: auntiebridgedagap@gmail.com

thank you thank you thank you.....

Last edited:

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Oh Flash. When will we no longer need you? That will be a happy day.

For completely removing Flash there are good instructions here: http://www.cultofmac.com/67699/uninstall-flash-for-mac-os-x-in-seven-easy-steps-how-to/

For those on Intel hardware, you might do well to give the excellent Chromium browser a try as it includes a Flash player built-in. You can get it at MacUpdate: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36244/chromium

By removing flash at the system level and using a browser like Chromium, you will still be able to view content that relies on Flash, but you will no longer need any additional junk that Flash installs on your system.

It would also be a good idea to install the BetterPrivacy Add-on to Firefox in order to easily clear Flash cookies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.