Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I still have to burn DVDs for different school things and for different TSA (School Club) events since they aren't fully digital (yet). My Mac did not ship with the iDVD that I've come to love, and it's not in the App Store. iDVD is part of iLife! Where did it go, and how do I get it?

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Yeah, I also noticed the lack of iDVD on my recently purchased MBP. I checked the app store to no avail, and ended up pursuing an alternate means of acquisition.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
If it's not possible to get iDVD, does iMovie or Final Cut Pro X have direct publishing to DVD?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
That's just the 7.1.2 update. Not the full thing.

Ahh. Looks like you might have to use less legit methods of acquiring the software then. Try contacting Apple first, though, and complain hard. New Macs should come with the full iLife suite, simple as.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
I believe Apple has pulled iDVD...

I believe iDVD is one of many applications that Apple has considered no longer relevant and permanently removed from iLife. iDVD last appeared in iLife 2009, but even then, it was not updated from the 2006 version. You can see the way Apple is working to remove DVD drives from laptops. :)

You might want to try to buy a used version of iLife 2006 or 2009 on eBay.

Ahh. Looks like you might have to use less legit methods of acquiring the software then. Try contacting Apple first, though, and complain hard. New Macs should come with the full iLife suite, simple as.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I believe iDVD is one of many applications that Apple has considered no longer relevant and permanently removed from iLife. iDVD last appeared in iLife 2009, but even then, it was not updated from the 2006 version. You can see the way Apple is working to remove DVD drives from laptops. :)

You might want to try to buy a used version of iLife 2006 or 2009 on eBay.

iDVD comes with iLife '11, so it should also be on all new Macs.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I just checked and while they don't offer it on new Macs and the App Store, they do offer it on the iLife CD sold in stores. I feel that with the advertisement of the iLife suite, I should also get iDVD with that.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I just checked and while they don't offer it on new Macs and the App Store, they do offer it on the iLife CD sold in stores. I feel that with the advertisement of the iLife suite, I should also get iDVD with that.

You certainly should. Phone them up and complain, since you just paid for a $1k+ computer from them, they might just give you the software. Apple's customer service tends to be very good.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The reasoning behind iDVD and iWeb being retired from factory-fresh Macs is as jdiamond posted. iDVD has not been upgraded, no features, no additional themes added, since the '08 version. Also, Apple's going in the direction of digital distribution, which is why iMovie has options for exporting to YouTube, to Facebook, Vimeo. iWeb hasn't had any changes since the '09 version, and with MobileMe and iDisk going away in June 2012, users will have to host their sites with 3rd parties like GoDaddy, Network Solutions, etc. There are free and paid alternatives to iDVD, on the Mac App Store and on the Internet, and some of them offer features that weren't in iDVD to begin with.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
They've left out iWeb too? That sucks, I use it to upload to my own hosting account.

Oh well, when I next upgrade my Mac I'll have my iLife '11 disc standing by I guess, but not everyone has that and not including this software with brand new Macs is screwing customers over.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
iDVD is part of iLife! Where did it go, and how do I get it?

iDVD & iWeb is de-funct. Gone.

The only way I know of getting iDVD or iWeb is part of the iLife Package.

But ya, i agree, iDVD or iWeb would be really handly on the Mac App Store. The other products are there, so it it only make sense to be complete (....well as complete as their ever going to get anyway).

Then again. this is what i'm facing.. if I only use iDVD, is $49 really worth it just for one app your ever going to use ?? *shrugs*. For that price, its kind of expensive if you know what u want.

Apple should have really made it an app to join the others.. But I guess they just want the money.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.