Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
(insert name of App MacRumors staff like) was released for OS X or iOS today.

Nothing to see here folks. Just a little advertising.

Yep, because this snarky post is really contributing much.

Thank you Macrumors for posting about this app. It will likely be pulled, and if not for the post on Macrumors I would have missed my opportunity to get it.

Don't pay attention to Mr. the8thark. :)

ryanwar6

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
(insert name of App MacRumors staff like) was released for OS X or iOS today.

Nothing to see here folks. Just a little advertising.

Seriously?

I suppose by that logic, you could consider most of the posts Macrumors or any other similar site puts up to be advertising... :confused:

I believe the purpose of this post was to show an app that falls into a category of "Previously Frowned Upon by Apple" and therefore could potentially signal a change of heart by Apple and the App Store policy. At the least could potentially merit discussion.

But you are probably right...

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for the heads up.

I've downloaded it on my 4S, and iPad 2. Not sure if it's worth it though, the controls on both are laggy as hell.

Oh well here's hoping Apple let this stay on the store, and we can get some updates.

macdude2012

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the heads up.

I've downloaded it on my 4S, and iPad 2. Not sure if it's worth it though, the controls on both are laggy as hell.

Oh well here's hoping Apple let this stay on the store, and we can get some updates.

yea kinda laggy, but since i own a real mame arcade i have all the roms so ive deleted all the wack roms that came with imame and loaded up gyruss donkey kong jr galaga and megazone, its amazing i still cant beat these games, lololol apple definitely gonna pull this!!!

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
To get roms, google "mame roms" and click the first site.

To get the roms on your phone, use iExplorer and navigate to your apps folder and select the iMame app. Put the roms in the Documents folder where you see all the pre-installed roms.

headlylm

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
App is set up for Mirroring. If you turn your iPhone or iPad to mirroring, the App auto detects your TV screen and gives you the game screen, while keeping all your controls on your iPad/iPhone. Very slick.

Stormy05

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
seems kinda hard to find the roms that work. I got crime fighters to work but still cant find the right street fighters II i am checking here http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList
and I got sf2a to show but when I try to load it says "required files are missing" anyone know what i'm doing wrong? or is it most likley bad roms?

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
Hyper Olympics works, which is pretty much a year of my life 30 years ago. Super Basketball doesn't but hopefully I'll find a version that does. Loving this.:D

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Darn, had my hopes up I can use my NES roms again on my iPhone4S. Doh, I need my jailbreak back. :)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
seems kinda hard to find the roms that work. I got crime fighters to work but still cant find the right street fighters II i am checking here http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList
and I got sf2a to show but when I try to load it says "required files are missing" anyone know what i'm doing wrong? or is it most likley bad roms?
Usually when it does that means its a bad dump (bad rom). the web is flooded with bad roms. the only way to solve it is to keep searching. If it shows you what files are missing the you might be able to find different bad rom dumps and take the needed files out of them and make a working rom. I had to do that with APB.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Um… okay… this is really great. I haven't played with emulators on the computer in years, but I just got this and I've got a Ninja Turtles game running and it's awesome.

Does anyone know if any of the arcade cabinet accessories for iPad could be compatible with this app? I know there are a few different types from different companies (I think Atari makes one). Any idea if I could get one working with this?

edit: Oh, apparently it works with iCade. I probably should have looked more closely at the article.

Last edited:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
The biggest impediment to running MAME ROMs on the iPhone/iPad will be the RAM. The 24MB that apps have to work with is not a whole lot. I remember running MAME on a hacked Xbox 1 and it couldn't handle the RAM required by most MAME roms that were from the mid-90s onward.

I got a certain robot maze game running though, with its robot sound in full synthesized glory. The joystick is awkward, but plays better in landscape than portrait mode. Didn't notice any lag, but that's a game from the early 80s so I'd hope not.

Last edited:

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Mk atv2 4gs

img20111221203611.jpg

720p

Yes, portrait works too.

Believe it or not I own a jamma of this as well so I'm legit :)

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
For the novices having problems with the roms, you're doing it wrong....

iMame4all is based on an old version of Mame (0.375b). You need to find the right versions of the roms as they change over time and so are (to a degree) specific to a version of Mame.

So either find the correct versions of the roms or create your own, for which you'd need; the current rom set, the rollback rom set, clrmame pro and the clrmame dat file for iMame4all. Google it if you need more info.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
From Wikipedia (hoping apple let us have this one which will boos iPhone sales around Xmas.....*whistling*)

Owning and distributing MAME itself is legal in most countries, as it is merely an emulator. Companies such as Sony have attempted in court to prevent emulators from being sold, but they have been ultimately unsuccessful.[14] MAME itself has thus far not been the subject of any court cases.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
To get roms, google "mame roms" and click the first site.

That probably won't work too well. All of their roms are for the latest version of Mame so a good few of them won't work on iMame4all.

----------

That same file mentioned that the app can support up to 4 wiimotes... does that mean Nintendo Wii Remotes Controllers?

They do with the jailbreak version but it looks like the feature has been pulled from the app store version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.