Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hey all,

I currently have both an Airport Express and an Airport Extreme with the Airport Extreme set up as my main router and the Express connected to my Entertainment system.

BUT, I just purchased a new TV and the things that go with that in this day and age and my TV, DVR, and Receiver all have ethernet for internet/network related features but the TV isn't near the current location of the router.

I attempted to connect both the TV and my cable modem to the same outlet via a splitter but the modem wasn't establishing a good connection. I know I can have Comcast (ugh...) come out and move the cable so I have two outlets behind my entertainment center (which I may have to do) but that'll be a hassle so my thought was that I could switch the locations of the routers and set up the Airport Express as my router connected to my current cable internet outlet and then set up the Airport Extreme to connect to the Express and share it's connection via the Ethernet ports but when I went to do this the only way to share it's connection was if the the Extreme was connected to another router directly via Ethernet which is not an option in my case.

So I guess my question is: Is there anyway to to make my Airport Extreme a Wireless Bridge for my entertainment system connected to an Airport Express? Or am I just dreaming?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, you have to make the Extreme join the Express' wireless network. To get this option, press the Option key and click the Wireless Mode menu in Airport Utility.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Sorry, that was an error on my part. The Extreme needs to extend the Express' network. This option is only available when you press option and click the Wireless Mode menu.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Make sure the "Allow this network to be extended" is checked on the Express' settings. I think only the N Express has this option.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Then you'll have to use the older WDS mode. Make the Express the Main and the Extreme the Remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.