Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I am have a new to 2011 iMac with 6970 and wanted to know which ATI drivers were best in some of the current games and if there were restrictions as to which I could use

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Just download the latest ones. You can do this conveniently in Steam.

Do we have to use the ATI drivers targetted to bootcamp or can we make use of any ATI driver? Never downloaded drivers in Steam, can't even seem to find where to start.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
and Steam simply sends me to the ATI page ... which if I follow the prompts for Mac Graphics - Bootcamp gives me a package from January 2011.

Should I choose a different path?

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
You can use any ATI driver. The newest official version is 11.12, though you can try 12.1 Preview as well. I recommend 11.11c performance driver.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
OK, Cougarcat got me somewhere I haven't seen before which is a good thing. Now I need to determine availability of 11.11c there.

Thank you

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Can anyone else verify that these work?

tried downloading this (i had 11.9 installed) and in catalyst control it still lists 11.9 as the current drivers.

I regularly update my ATI Drivers and only last night installed the latest one which are 11.12 Preview Driver (These include the 11.11c Performance Tweaks).

ATI 11.12 Preview Driver and catalyst Controller

I would download and Save this set of drivers onto your Desktop and then do the following:-

It's always worth uninstalling the current drivers in Windows before installing new ones to avoid conflicts), this article may be helpful:

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system.

As a belts and braces approach after the initial reboot after uninstalling the current drivers I also use this program to get rid of any remenants of GPU drivers (after running this program just do a second reboot prior to installing the new drivers):

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

After rebooting Windows will be running a basic VGA display driver, now you should be able to install the latest ATI Driver / Catalyst Controller from the package you earlier downloaded onto your Desktop. After that one more reboot and you should be fine.

sk zen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
I regularly update my ATI Drivers and only last night installed the latest one which are 11.12 Preview Driver (These include the 11.11c Performance Tweaks).

I would download and Save this set of drivers onto your Desktop and then do the following:-

It's always worth uninstalling the current drivers in Windows before installing new ones to avoid conflicts), this article may be helpful:

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system.

As a belts and braces approach after the initial reboot after uninstalling the current drivers I also use this program to get rid of any remenants of GPU drivers (after running this program just do a second reboot prior to installing the new drivers):

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

After rebooting Windows will be running a basic VGA display driver, now you should be able to install the latest ATI Driver / Catalyst Controller from the package you earlier downloaded onto your Desktop. After that one more reboot and you should be fine.

ty :) i'm trying to download driversweeper right now but i can't, i'm just sent to the bottom of the page. I don't know what to do when the note says to stop using my download manager and avoid right clicking on files...

Going to use the sweeper from: http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

edit: i've heard horrible things about the phyxion driver sweeper so i'm going to stay away. any idea why i'm unable to dl the guru sweeper?

Last edited:

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

I just went out to AMD's website and downloaded the latest video drivers for my iMac, I ran the windows score and my Video rating went from a 6.0 to 7.6. The only thing is, i cant remember if i ran it originally in VMSphere as that seems like a decent bump for updated drivers.

Ive got the i7 with the 2gig video card and i did not uninstall the drivers prior, I just ran the installer from AMD.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway

What driver are you using today? Im having some issues with Skyrim. Using catalyst 12.9 beta.

edit: I do not have any issues in Windows 7. Worked out fine!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.