Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we noted that developer builds of OS X 10.7.3 were showing evidence of AMD's forthcoming "Tahiti" graphics card family, the first to be built using 28-nanometer technology. The evidence suggested that Apple was at least preparing for the possibility of the cards being used in a Mac Pro update next year, an update that is reportedly still in question given uncertainty about the future of the line.

amd_radeon_hd_7970.jpg

In the wake of those findings, AMD today officially announced the high-end Radeon HD 7970 from the Tahiti line, billing it as the world's fastest single-chip graphics card.
With the arrival of the AMD Radeon HD 7970, AMD has unleashed its revolutionary new Graphics Core Next Architecture that enables new levels of gaming and compute capabilities - realizing an improvement of over 150% in performance/sq mm over the prior generation. Engineered with support for PCI Express 3.0 and AMD CrossFire technology, the AMD Radeon HD 7970 graphics card arrives prepared for the next level of gaming.
Engadget has a nice roundup of reviews of the new card, with testers generally reporting significantly improved performance over the current generation of equivalent AMD cards and other high-end competitors such as NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 580. On the negative side, reviews cited the card's $549 price tag and significant noise under high load.

The Radeon HD 7970 will launch on January 9th, and AMD is also reported to be preparing to launch a slightly scaled-down model in the form of a Radeon HD 7950 card.

With new Xeon processors from Intel launching in the first quarter of 2012 and AMD's new graphics card offerings lining up for a January launch, parts do appear to be coming together for a significant upgrade for the Mac Pro, which has not been updated since July 2010. What remains to be seen is whether Apple will continue to invest in its professional-level workstation line.

Article Link: AMD Announces New Mac Pro-Suitable Radeon HD 7970 Graphics Card

Kusakun

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
Too bad... I ordered the 5770 for my mac pro a couple of weeks ago... Well i have to wait til i make the Mac Pro Upgrade

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
This thing is significantly faster than the 6970, and was just announced today. This is fantastic news! And shows AMD is at least semi-serious about the pro Mac market (EDIT: because Lord knows Apple certainly hasn't shown us they are).

Last edited:

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
does it have thunderbolt?
Thunderbolt is not something to be added to a display card. It has to be attached to the motherboard chipset, since Thunderbolt is a PCI-Express lane.

It might have DisplayPort, but no one has answered that yet.

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
I'm wondering if the "significant noise under high load" might come as an issue to Apple. Their Mac Pros are usually very silent even under really high loads.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
This thing is significantly faster than the 6970, and was just announced today. This is fantastic news! And shows how serious AMD is about the pro Mac market.

In what way does it show that AMD is serious about the Mac Pros? They don't make these specifically for Apple you know. They don't even supply drivers for OSX.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thunderbolt is not something to be added to a display card. It has to be attached to the motherboard chipset, since Thunderbolt is a PCI-Express lane.

The reference HD 7970 does have two Mini-DisplayPort outputs. I am sure you could place the Thunderbolt controller on the video card but that sounds like a pain to make a custom PCB and split the PCIe lanes onboard.

Thunderbolt on the Mac Pro is probably the #2 subject of discussion after the new Sandy Bridge-E processors at #1.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
In what way does it show that AMD is serious about the Mac Pros? They don't make these specifically for Apple you know. They don't even supply drivers for OSX.

No crap they don't make these just for the Mac market. Usually these kinds of GPUs aren't released until months after the initial announcement. The 7970 was just released today. I'm not saying they're 100% dedicated, but just the fact that they announced both the PC and Mac hardware on the same day is good to hear (I edited my original post to reflect this).

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Any chance it'll work on the 09 model which was sold up until August/September 2010?

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
PLEASE APPLE! Sweet-mother-of-mercy we need an update! After Effects and C4D is RAPING my Mac Pro! 16 cores + 64gb's of ram + this card will make my year next year!

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I'm wondering if the "significant noise under high load" might come as an issue to Apple. Their Mac Pros are usually very silent even under really high loads.

I was wondering why if makes noise under load in the first place? At $500 plus, surely they have the ability to include the very highest quality bearings and fan motor, right?

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
How about a $200-$250 GPU that is on a 1:1 price ratio for the Mac? I don't need a $500+ card just something modern without an inflated Mac price tag.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
They don't even supply drivers for OSX.
...maybe not to the public, but AMD does develop a substantial portion of the video driver for their hardware when integrated into the Mac. They work with Apple on this and Apple is the one the incorporates the driver into the OS but AMD is involved.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
The reference HD 7970 does have two Mini-DisplayPort outputs. I am sure you could place the Thunderbolt controller on the video card but that sounds like a pain to make a custom PCB and split the PCIe lanes onboard.

Thunderbolt on the Mac Pro is probably the #2 subject of discussion after the new Sandy Bridge-E processors at #1.

Does someone just stalk you and downvote anything you say? ;)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Nice, I was unsure if the MP could meet the power requirements of this card. 6 & 8 pin power...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No crap they don't make these just for the Mac market. Usually these kinds of GPUs aren't released until months after the initial announcement. The 7970 was just released today. I'm not saying they're 100% dedicated, but just the fact that they announced both the PC and Mac hardware on the same day is good to hear (I edited my original post to reflect this).
Well....

The cards had a paper launch today and mentions of "Tahiti" were noticed in 10.7.x updates. I can imagine the cards are coming to the next Mac Pro.

Nice, I was unsure if the MP could meet the power requirements of this card. 6 & 8 pin power...
Flagship AMD single GPU cards have been 6+8 pin for some time.

Aug 26, 2008
I was wondering why if makes noise under load in the first place? At $500 plus, surely they have the ability to include the very highest quality bearings and fan motor, right?

Moving air causes noise, period. And the smaller fans typical of graphics cards generate higher noise because of the higher rpms they need to get that air moving. It has nothing to do with bearings or the fan motor.

That's why there is a decent amount of after market gpu coolers that are massive and can either be run passively, or have a 120mm fan attached for basically silent operation.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004

Photos I've seen show that it has two DP, one HDMI, and one DVI. (what will be on the 7970 mac version is anyone's guess) With eyefinity, I believe you can drive up to 6 DP monitors off the two DP ports... With the proper driver support of course..

Hate to say it, but this may just be the card I use to build a purpose-built iRacing sim rig.. Love iRacing on my iMac.. but I can't help but imagine how much better it'd be with this card powering even a 3-monitor rig.. The pull of the dark side is so very strong..lol

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Well....

The cards had a paper launch today and mentions of "Tahiti" were noticed in 10.7.x updates. I can imagine the cards are coming to the next Mac Pro.

Flagship AMD single GPU cards have been 6+8 pin for some time.

Dang, see this is what happens when you stop building systems... Have they always required both? For the longest I seemed to remember you being able to get away with not using both power plugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.