Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I recently purchased the Denon AVR-2112CI, and set it up this past Tuesday evening. All went well (despite the pathetic documentation), including internet radio, pandora, etc. all functioning properly.

However, when I went to test Airplay, the receiver is not listed. I see only the :apple:TV and the iphone. Any ideas?

I'm using Comast (with their included SMC router), and all the devices in the
entertainment area are hardwired through the use of a gigabit switch. (I went so far as to turn the firewall of completely, but no change)

I wasn't sure if this is the best forum to post the question, but Denon tech support stated that this is an Apple issue, not Denon's. meaning that if the device connects to the internet, then it is functioning properly. sooooo...is there something I should change in order for my macs or iphones to see it?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Well, I don't own the Denon you're talking about but perhaps a few suggestions will help. First, you'll want to make sure you've got the latest version of the firmware for the Denon. Also, is there a setting to disable\enable Airplay on the Denon? Perhaps that needs to be toggled.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yeah, Denon makes great AVRs, but their documentation has always been sorely lacking in clarity, even for the most basic functions.

There's a guy on the AVS forums whose username is Batpig. He has authored a document called "Batpig's Denon-to-English Dictionary" (or maybe the other way around). I don't know if he's updated it to include the new 2011 Airplay models or not, but that's where I'd start, if you're looking to dig deeper into the functionality.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, Denon makes great AVRs, but their documentation has always been sorely lacking in clarity, even for the most basic functions.

There's a guy on the AVS forums whose username is Batpig. He has authored a document called "Batpig's Denon-to-English Dictionary" (or maybe the other way around). I don't know if he's updated it to include the new 2011 Airplay models or not, but that's where I'd start, if you're looking to dig deeper into the functionality.
Ya, I forgot about that guy. He's got some good information. I referred to his posts frequently when researching my AVR this year. I ended up with a NAD, but the Denon was a strong consideration.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA

Thanks for the tip! I'll check that tonight.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I know when I bought my Denon earlier this year I had to buy and install the devon airplay firmware update first.

I heard about that...though I'm not sure which receivers this applied to. The 2112 is shipped with this functionality, and the Denon tech actually recommended that I do NOT update the firmware unless I am having troubles with the amp!

You may want to check the Denon website...they are now offering that s/w for free...maybe you can get a refund?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i have the avr1912.

there is a feature called "network standby" if that is off, then when the receiver is off it won't show up on the network. if it's on, the receiver will show up on the network when powered down, and will turn itself on when you try to stream to it.

also find the IP address and try pinging it*. (your receiver may have to be powered on depending on the network standby setting) or you should be able to open a web browser and type in the address

I've turned network standby off, because my receiver would lock up every couple days if i had it on

*to ping from a mac just open a terminal window and type "ping ##.##.##.##" where the #s are the ip address of your stereo.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I don't remember the exact steps on my 4311ci, but I had this issue once. I had to go into the Denon's network settings and release it (turn it off), then turn it back on. Also, rebooting your iOS device might help, too.

I keep mine in standby all the time without any issues. I also read up on the firmware updates before I do them, but the firmware updates have only helped, in my experience.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I don't remember the exact steps on my 4311ci, but I had this issue once. I had to go into the Denon's network settings and release it (turn it off), then turn it back on. Also, rebooting your iOS device might help, too.

I keep mine in standby all the time without any issues. I also read up on the firmware updates before I do them, but the firmware updates have only helped, in my experience.

I know I left this thread for a bit...but just to catch up...one random night the Denon showed up on the Airplay list...it worked that night...however the next morning it was no longer there. I then updated the unit to the latest, but no luck. Since that day, it has not reappeared in the list. The appleTV2 and my iPhones and iPod touch work great.

The Denon is connected, as pandora and internet radio continue to work without trouble. I've tried resetting the network settings on the Denon as well as the router...rebooted the computer, restarted the various iOS devices...to no avail.

Denon says this is an Apple issue...but I'm not so sure

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
You may want to check AVSforum to see if anyone has the same issue and resolved it. One thing to look at is whether you can see the Denon's web address on your iPhone or computer (assuming it works the same way as the 4311ci).

Also, are you sure one is not connected to a guest network and the other your main network?

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
You may want to check AVSforum to see if anyone has the same issue and resolved it. One thing to look at is whether you can see the Denon's web address on your iPhone or computer (assuming it works the same way as the 4311ci).

Also, are you sure one is not connected to a guest network and the other your main network?

I will check when I get home later tonight...but I am certain that it is not connected to a guest network.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA

so I just checked and the Denon reports that it is at 10.0.0.14...I pinged that address and it returned a number like .12 repeated

checked AVS forum and didn't see anything exactly like my issue

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I Have the same issue with my Marantz CR 603

Mine would connect to Airplay but then within minutes it would drop the connection and i would need to re-boot the wireless router!

After extensive conversations with Marantz technical and trying every conceivable router settings available i spoke to a very informative guy who states that any wireless router more than two years old would probable not contain the correct protocol to speak to Airplay!

And i proved this by purchasing a new wireless router with the most up to date firmware, plugged it in and immediately connects to airplay with so far no drop outs! I reversed the process and put my old router back in place and it wouldn't connect at all!

It might be down to your router!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I Have the same issue with my Marantz CR 603

After extensive conversations with Marantz technical and trying every conceivable router settings available i spoke to a very informative guy who states that any wireless router more than two years old would probable not contain the correct protocol to speak to Airplay!

And i proved this by purchasing a new wireless router with the most up to date firmware, plugged it in and immediately connects to airplay with so far no drop outs! I reversed the process and put my old router back in place and it wouldn't connect at all!

It might be down to your router!

Hope this helps!

but my devon 2112 is not wireless...it is hardwired...and because the router from Comcast has such poor range, I ended up hardwiring most everything in the house (PS3, Xbox, Denon, :apple:TV2, main Mac Mini. The only wifi is a MacBook, another Mini closer to the router and, when they can find the router, our iPhones.

My computer sees the :apple:TV2, my iPhones see the :apple:TV2. But each has only seen the Denon once.

I'm on the fence about spending more money right now for a Time Capsule, Airport Extreme or Airport Express to try to extend my network...I guess there's a chance that it could solve both problems?

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
When you put the 10.0.0.14... into the web address on your iPhone does it come up with a Denon screen? My 4311ci will let you control the receiver's functions from this screen.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
I'm having similar issues with my Denon 3112CI. It is also hardwired to the router. It worked just fine until iTune and Denon had upgrades, now I'm having the same problems you describe: I can see the Denon on my web browser, and the Denon can see the network (get Pandora, etc.) But it doesn't show up in Airplay on iTunes.

If I reboot the router, then I can see the Denon. It works fine at that point. But when I turn it off, the next day iTunes can no longer connect to the Denon (at least not until I reboot the router again).

I'm not sure if this problem was caused by the iTunes update or the Denon firmware update. I'll try turning the network standby setting off then back on again, that might help (it is now on).

If anyone has any success with this, please post. My only suggestion is rebooting the router to see if that helps (a suggestion from the Denon on-line help page).

Angryipadguy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
im now again having issues with my airplay but heres some tips that may help you guys having problems. the amp seems to be very fussy as to which ethernet port its plugged into on the router. first try a different port and see if it works.

if this still dont work then try putting a desktop switch like netgears gs105 by the amp and then run the amp through this. for some stupid reason the amp wont run with airplay dircetly connected to the router yet will run when going through the switch. the amps still seems to be fussy on which port it uses on the router but i cant narrow this down to a router issue or amp issue. i have tried 3 different routers upto yet and all 3 have worked with airplay but not very reliable. they were all belkin models from 4 years old to 6 months old.

I gave up and plugged everything in and currently its been on for 30 mins without an issue. it was on for 5 months before this used everyday without issue but when it decides it dont wanna work then good luck working it out.

ArJunaBug

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
It's never Denon's fault??

I have had my Denon 2112ci for about 7 months. Airplay has NEVER worked reliably. Every time I call Denon they blame everything else but the Denon unit. My profession has included many years as a network engineer and I have been 4th level support for such things. This means when the first level support guys can't fix it they go to the second level, third level, and when they can't fix it it came to me. I point this out to give some indication I know what I am talking about.

The 2112ci always communicates reliably with the network and the internet. I can always reach it from my computers using DLNA. My iPhone has a Denon app for controlling the 2112ci that also always works. This proves a good reliable connection to the 2112ci.

The airplay option on my iPhone and on my PC in the iTunes app very often cannot see the 2112ci, This always happens in tandem, if one can see it they both can and vice-versa. All devices are physically connected through a 1Gb switch except for the iPhone, which is connected via WiFi router. I have had two different routers including now a brand new Cisco E4200 with the latest firmware, it supports all protocols I could possibly need for this setup. I have used multiple versions of iPhone IOS from 4.2.1 up to 5.1.1 and iTunes software from 10.0.0.1-10.6.1.7. All of these combinations have had issue with AirPlay on the Denon 2112ci. Sometimes it's there, but mostly it's not.

There are two ways to make the AirPlay work. One is to do a Reset on the Denon 2112ci, which erases all setting back to factory settings. The other is to unplug the 2112ci for about 20 minutes and plug it back in. Both of these will "miraculously" fix the problem (but it's not the Denon's fault according to them), at least temporarily, but when I called Denon and methodically related everything I said in this post and then chastised them for ALWAYS saying the problem is elsewhere, they were stuck and had to admit that my troubleshooting logic pegged the problem, and that it was with the 2112ci. I have spoken with three techs there and they offered that they would seriously take this into account, but it seems everyone that calls them with the issue is told the problem is elsewhere. I do not believe Denon is being very forthcoming with this issue and are trying to hide the fact they have a serious problem with the AirPlay feature, at least on this unit. I have had four versions of firmware since I bought the unit and the problem has remained the same for all of them.

I am sick of resetting my unit every time I want to play music from my iPhone or Computer. Unplugging it takes 20 minutes to work and I am hardly up for waiting 20 minutes. At this point I am grateful that I purchased the extended warranty on this unit. I have 4 years to exchange it or get my money back if there is any problem on it that cannot be fixed. This is certainly a qualified problem. I am not so sure I will be looking to another Denon unit.

Kavy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Router issue for me

I run my home network on a Netgear/Cisco WRT350N. I have been experiencing the same problems as all of you - basically iphone, ipad, itunes not picking up the Denon receiver.

I tried all of the suggestions here (e.g., firmware, reboots) and enjoyed no improvement.

I think Angryipodguy was on to something.

My router was packed with cat5 cables for direct tv, NAS, Blueray, and desktop computer. I unplugged everything but the Denon unit and rebooted again. Success from ipad and itunes.

I replaced all of the cat5 cables and didn't lose the connection even after toggling between the ipad and itunes.

Of course haven't continued this test further, but a simple switch dedicated to the Denon may do the trick.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I recently purchased the denon 2112. It worked on airplay for a while (a few hours?) and then just disappeared. I got tired of messing with it and went and bought an airport extreme. It works now. I read a post somewhere that airplay is finicky and I didn't want to try a bunch of different routers one by one.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
I think I might have solved this by setting the receivers (2113) IP address as static on my router. Will know for sure once I've had a chance to test it a bit more. To be fair I'm sure I read something when setting it up which suggested a static IP is preferred

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
I think I might have solved this by setting the receivers (2113) IP address as static on my router. Will know for sure once I've had a chance to test it a bit more. To be fair I'm sure I read something when setting it up which suggested a static IP is preferred

Further to this comment, it only provided a temporary fix before not working again. The solution was to connect it to a different router instead of my bt home hub 3 type a. My temporary solution was to use my apple time capsule until bt replaced my home hub with a type b which is now working flawlessly.

This was not the only problem I had with the bt home hub type a so I think it is safe to say that the problem lay there!

nards10

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
Im also having a problems with Airplay and network connectivity with my Marantz SR5007 receiver, which is hardwired connected to my Airport Extreme. The A/E provides the wireless internet and has other wireless devices connected to it (Apple Server, printer, etc which all work fine) I have a Comcast / Xfinity gateway modem / router (Its an SMC model D3G, not an Arris). When first installed (by a professional) the Marantz worked great, perfect network connection and Airplay worked like a charm, never even dropping out. After exactly two months, no network connection and Airplay stopped working. The Marantz was not even pulling a correct IP address.

Its under warranty, so I took it in for service and they say its a problem on my end. (They blamed it on Apple, which doesnt make sense, of course). I spoke to Comcast Signature, we tried it plugged into the A/E and directly to the modem/router, both in and out of bridge mode to no avail. However, in bridge mode it was able to pull what seemed like a good IP address, but still no network connection on the Marantz. My installer says they cant get involved with Comcast or my modem. And finally, Marantz says there are known issues with Comcast Arris modem/routers (would have been nice to know that ahead of time), while offering no other help.

I cant readily swap the modem for another since The Apple AirPort cannot be configured to use the same IP schema I am using now, and I would have to change the IP addressees of everything if I change the router. So unless I find another solution Im stuck with a receiver that does not work as advertised. Or at least not with a fairly common Comcast router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.