Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
This guy called the iPad 112 months ago......

MacQuest
112 months ago
From the news report above:

"However he [SJ] does see potential to use small device to drive a TV as the presentation vehicle."

I call "iPad" [tablet device] !!:)

tarun101

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
The more important thing for iPad 7.8" is will they be able to get the weight substantially down

I have confidence that Apple will get the UX right but the weight on current iPad is a tad too heavy !!

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
If presented with a 9.8" or a 7.85" iPad with a 1024x768 resolution, I'd likely pick the 7.85".

If the 9.8" gets 2048x1536 and the 7.85" stays at 1024x768, I'd opt for the 9.8".

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Unless they can sell it for $200 (GLWT) it won't be competition for Fire.

Look, sometimes all people need (and WANT) is a book reader than can browse the web and play videos, for a good price. Unless Apple can compete on the price they won't have a chance of competing in that space.

Wake up son, Apple are in a different league to Amazon.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
This makes total sense.

I know a lot of people downplayed the idea because Apple didn't release it first, but something a little more portable (for iPad users) and bigger (for iPod Touch) users would be fantastic. If this came out at the right price point (~$249-$299) it would be perfect.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
And if Apple can sell that iPad 7 inch for $200 (unlikely), then they can compete with the Kindle Fire. Otherwise, forget it.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is superior in almost every way. But people aren't buying the Kindle Fire because its superior, they are buying it because its adequate and cheap.

To me personally, the iPad 9 inch size is a laptop replacement, while the iPhone/iPod Touch covers the "small". I'm not sure I see the draw in slightly smaller iPad. Of course, I said I didn't see the draw in a "big iPhone" a few years ago either, when the iPad was announced ;) But still, where does a 7 inch iPad fit in the product line? It seems 5-6 inches almost makes more sense as its closer to the in between of an iPad and iPhone.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
A larger iPod Touch would make more sense. Just use the retina display to give the same or higher resolution as a ~7-inch device, but in a more compact package that doesn't require special pants to carry.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I see. So instead of acknowledging you were wrong, you're just going to say 7" tablets are "cack."

And if Apple makes one then, I assume you'll admit it was "cack" too?

No, you don't understand, Apple won't make a 7" tablet because is cack, they will make a 7.85" that is the best thing after the sliced bread.

That 0.85" makes the difference.

And then Google will copy them, you can't count that there are 6", 7", 8", 9" or 10.1" tablets, they will copy it

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
"The rationale behind the smaller form factor is for Apple to better compete against the new 7" Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon."

and here we see why there is zero credibility to this story.

apple doesn't make things to go into an existing market just to compete. you should know that by now.

apple doesn't give a **** about what amazon is selling, as long as what amazon is selling isn't infringing on their copyrights. end of story.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
No, you don't understand, Apple won't make a 7" tablet because is cack, they will make a 7.85" that is the best thing after the sliced bread.

That 0.85" makes the difference.

And then Google will copy them, you can't count that there are 6", 7", 8", 9" or 10.1" tablets, they will copy it

I see... So there were decent Android tablets before the iPad?

No thought not...

That's because Apple released a great one and everyone else copied, Google rushed out a tweeked version of <Insert stupid OS name here> and that was that.

----------

"The rationale behind the smaller form factor is for Apple to better compete against the new 7" Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon."

and here we see why there is zero credibility to this story.

apple doesn't make things to go into an existing market just to compete. you should know that by now.

apple doesn't give a **** about what amazon is selling, as long as what amazon is selling isn't infringing on their copyrights. end of story.

A bit of intellect on the forum :)

Welcome.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I see... So there were decent Android tablets before the iPad?

No thought not...

That's because Apple released a great one and everyone else copied, Google rushed out a tweeked version of <Insert stupid OS name here> and that was that.

You keep confusing OSes and Hardware.
You said that Google would be copying Apple if they made a 7" tablet meanwhile Android is already ON 7" tablets.

Keep flame baiting though - it's going to get MacRumors a nice holiday bonus check from its advertisers for the added clicks..

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Is it just me that wants one in the 15" to 20" range? The current iPad is too small for watching movies, and too similar to my iPhone.
20"is too much, but personally I'd like it a little bigger, 12 to 15" maybe. What I don't get is people telling others: you don't want that!

If Apple sees a market for smaller tablets, I'm sure they'll make them eventually, and hooray for those who like them. I won't get one, and I think bigger is extremely unlikely, but I'm happy with what we've got for now. Just hoping iPad3 is enough of an upgrade for me to justify getting a new one.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
No need to smoke anything. I'd even go as far as a 27"

MacBookAir form factor no hinge and hopefully cool on the bottom to have it on ones lap.

Kind of like a thin Imac without the hinge (Hinge sold separately:)

a 27" iPad?

Wow, just wow.

Why don't you got and but an LED TV and carry that about?

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I prefer the current size- if I want portability (more portability?) I use my iPhone. Clicking on the "change their mind" link, did someone really post the word "iPad" nearly TEN years ago?

Yeah, that's what I don't get. If only they made a tablet that would, say fit in my pocket or something. That would be great! Oh, wait...I have one called my phone. To me, the iPad is barely big enough as it is. I have tried a couple of 7" type tablets, and they feel too small to me. There's never enough screen real estate for browsing and video for me.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
You keep confusing OSes and Hardware.
You said that Google would be copying Apple if they made a 7" tablet meanwhile Android is already ON 7" tablets.

Keep flame baiting though - it's going to get MacRumors a nice holiday bonus check from its advertisers for the added clicks..

I think you should go for a little sleep and have a think about the things you write.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Prove that Apple are making a 7" tablet.

Oh, uprating your own posts as soon as you post them is pathetic.

I don't uprate or downrate. But feel free to keep denying facts and creating fiction.

I never said Apple was making a 7" tablet. I said if they made one. So I can't be wrong, now can I?

Last edited:

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
big and small

SMALLER
Selling our iPad and iPad 2 if a ~8" and Retina full size iPad come simultaneously. Our kids love the iPads and would be fine with the smaller size, while I actually think the text would be MORE readable at that size with the same 1024x768 resolution but smaller area. It won't be retina DPI, but it will be much nicer to stare at than the full size iPad. The Retina display on a 10" is just a dream device to me.

BIGGER
I've wanted a bigger iPad since before the iPad 2. 15" would be pretty incredible. It will be a LONG time before something like that is desirable to many or practical, but it could rock pretty hard for many applications (music and video editing, watching content, drawing and painting, kids books and graphic novels, board games and other group activities, even document editing would start to be much more practical at that size.

What could happen first (in following years) is the MacBook Air could get a multitouch screen along with MacOS X gaining more and more of the sensibly transferrable features from the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.