Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk9357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Hi! I want to connect my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 (i7 2.7 GHz I believe) to my Panasonic HDTV (Panasonic Viera TX-32U10). I have a Mini-DP to HDMI adapter (Networx Mini DisplayPort to HDMI) and an audio cable which works.

Now the problem is, the screen doesn't fit right on the TV

Here is an image of the problem:

photo%203.png

As you can see, the bar at the top of the screen is cut off and part of the dock. Also there are two black bars at the side of the screen. I already tried changing the resolution, but it didn't help.

Also I don't understand, when I go to display settings the highest possible resolution is 1600x900, and then there is 1080p, so 1080p is equal to 1920x1080?

I saw other people having this problem on some forums, but no one had an answer.

Thanks if anyone can help me, would be really appreciated.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Hi! I want to connect my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 (i7 2.7 GHz I believe) to my Panasonic HDTV (Panasonic Viera TX-32U10). I have a Mini-DP to HDMI adapter (Networx Mini DisplayPort to HDMI) and an audio cable which works.

Now the problem is, the screen doesn't fit right on the TV

Here is an image of the problem:

As you can see, the bar at the top of the screen is cut off and part of the dock. Also there are two black bars at the side of the screen. I already tried changing the resolution, but it didn't help.

Also I don't understand, when I go to display settings the highest possible resolution is 1600x900, and then there is 1080p, so 1080p is equal to 1920x1080?

I saw other people having this problem on some forums, but no one had an answer.

Thanks if anyone can help me, would be really appreciated.

I have a 52" Panasonic Viera also that I connect to my late 2011 MBP. I found I had to set the plasma display to 1080i for things to work. I use a Kanex mdp to hdmi cable I purchased from Apple. It supplies audio and video with one cable. Hope that helps.

jk9357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
I have a 52" Panasonic Viera also that I connect to my late 2011 MBP. I found I had to set the plasma display to 1080i for things to work. I use a Kanex mdp to hdmi cable I purchased from Apple. It supplies audio and video with one cable. Hope that helps.

Okay, thanks for the reply! How can I change the display to 1080i?

Jamkas

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
North New Jersey
What I think you should try is setting it to 1080i as said above. If that doesn't work, which I don't think it will, try going under 'Displays' under 'System Preferences' and check the 'Underscan' box under the display you're having trouble with.

Also when I had an MacBook Pro 13", the first one they made alloy. I couldn't get the resolution to work correctly on my external display with the laptop screen running to.

Try this:

- Put your Macbook Book to sleep by going to the Apple at the top left of your screen and hitting sleep.

- The lid should be open with your Macbook asleep and all your external display peripherals plugged in.

- Quickly hit space bar to wake up your Macbook and close the lid. Do this all pretty fast. It'll trick your Macbook into thinking its only and main display is your external display. Your resolution issue should be solved.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Okay, thanks for the reply! How can I change the display to 1080i?

These are my settings. I hope they help you. Not very good at taking screenshots. Post back if this helps you.

1.Go to system preferences
2.Choose displays
3.Resolution = 1080i
4.Refresh rate = 60 Hz
5.Rotation = standard
6.Underscan = off
7.Arrangement = mirror displays

jk9357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
What I think you should try is setting it to 1080i as said above. If that doesn't work, which I don't think it will, try going under 'Displays' under 'System Preferences' and check the 'Underscan' box under the display you're having trouble with.

Also when I had an MacBook Pro 13", the first one they made alloy. I couldn't get the resolution to work correctly on my external display with the laptop screen running to.

Try this:

- Put your Macbook Book to sleep by going to the Apple at the top left of your screen and hitting sleep.

- The lid should be open with your Macbook asleep and all your external display peripherals plugged in.

- Quickly hit space bar to wake up your Macbook and close the lid. Do this all pretty fast. It'll trick your Macbook into thinking its only and main display is your external display. Your resolution issue should be solved.

Hi! I dont have an underscan box (I'm on Lion maybe that's why), but I do have like a thing, I dont know the name, here is an image:

http://cl.ly/2q303b1O1U132N3I342N

When I have it in the middle, the screen fits on the TV, but the bars on left and right are even bigger (looks like a square-ish). I think thats even worse because when I watch movies, it looks like a rectangle in a black box.

Here is an image:

http://cl.ly/3d3G3Y1a1q3T421A3P2z

I'll try the steps you posted and I'll see if it works.

@User418: I have all my settings set up exactly the same way as you, but it still doesn't work.

-----EDIT-----

OMG! It actually works! Just I can't use it because the lid is closed :/ So I guess I'll only use it to watch movies when I dont need a mouse/keyboard. Do you know any other tips?

Jamkas

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
North New Jersey
Well, if you have an iPhone/iPad or really any smart phone or tablet. You can turn them into wireless mouses/keyboards. For example on my iPhone 4 I have an application called Air Mouse. So, I set up my laptop the way I described and kick back using my Macbook on my TV at the control of my phone. Good for just starting movies and what not.

Other than that though... Maybe invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse if you want to really use your Macbook while it's plugged into your TV.

jk9357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Well, if you have an iPhone/iPad or really any smart phone or tablet. You can turn them into wireless mouses/keyboards. For example on my iPhone 4 I have an application called Air Mouse. So, I set up my laptop the way I described and kick back using my Macbook on my TV at the control of my phone. Good for just starting movies and what not.

Other than that though... Maybe invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse if you want to really use your Macbook while it's plugged into your TV.

I read in the Apple forum that its bad to use the MB when the lid is closed because it can overheat :confused:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I read in the Apple forum that its bad to use the MB when the lid is closed because it can overheat :confused:

Simply not true. I've used my MBP and MBA in clamshell mode many times.

Are you mirroring the display? If so, then you'll never see the output in 1920x1080 (1080p) since the display will be the same resolution as your MBP.

You need to either use it in clamshell mode or set extend desktop. I cannot see what possible difference it would make to attempt running at 1080i versus 1080p since 1080i is just the interlaced version (looks slightly worse) of 1080p, but same resolution.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010

Don't know what else to suggest. After trying many different changes over a period of days to no avail, the settings I mentioned in my earlier post provided the best results. Still hadn't figured out how to remove the small bars on both sides of screen. Hadn't tried using in clamshell mode yet. My MBP sits open on my desk behind me while I kick back on couch using tv screen with wireless keyboard and trackpad. Don't know if you can tell much from the attached pic.

TH-50PZ85U - Panasonic 50" 1080P Plasma HDTV
MacBook Pro 8,2 - Late 2011 15" 2.2 GHz, 256 Gb SSD

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 233

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Simply not true. I've used my MBP and MBA in clamshell mode many times.

Are you mirroring the display? If so, then you'll never see the output in 1920x1080 (1080p) since the display will be the same resolution as your MBP.

You need to either use it in clamshell mode or set extend desktop. I cannot see what possible difference it would make to attempt running at 1080i versus 1080p since 1080i is just the interlaced version (looks slightly worse) of 1080p, but same resolution.

Your response caused me to research my situation further. After checking my equipment I discovered that my older satellite receivers highest resolution is 1080i, while a recent (newer model) replacement includes 1080i and 1080p.

I switched the receivers around, set resolution at 1080p, extended the desktop as you suggested, and everything works perfectly. No more bars on each side of the screen.

Thanks a million!!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Your response caused me to research my situation further. After checking my equipment I discovered that my older satellite receivers highest resolution is 1080i, while a recent (newer model) replacement includes 1080i and 1080p.

I switched the receivers around, set resolution at 1080p, extended the desktop as you suggested, and everything works perfectly. No more bars on each side of the screen.

Thanks a million!!

I am glad that it's worked out for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.