Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
(Since I have AppleCare, I'm going to wait until I'm done with my degree this Spring before I get these minor problems repaired. I don't even care about the light sensor, the arrow key has to be pressed harder than normal SOMETIMES, and I use external keyboards most of the time anyhow. Still, when I pay $3000 for a system, I expect it to be perfect, but Apple couldn't manage to do that. What a shame.)

Many of the people on this board see Apple as the Ferrari or Rolex of computer technology. They aren't really. They're built by the same company that HP uses, from similar sourced parts to those used by other brands. Basically the quality control of a niche product can't really be maintained with something made in comparable volume to Apple computers, even if the precision of the case design is impressive.

I agree 100%. Prefer Apple products, but all the worship stuff is just pathetic.

Seems like he was a decent human being in some respects. And not so much so in other respects. He steered the company from near ruin back to being profitable again. Is this what qualifies for "sainthood" now?

The worship has always been silly. Both sides (windows and osx) carry a lot of undeserved reputations.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
All of this overblown Steve Jobs crap is out of control.

I look down upon people who hero worship a freakin CEO.

If anyone should be honored it's Johnny Ives and all of the engineers who developed the damn products.

Some people are just too fanatical about how much they like Mac stuff and need someone to focus their obsession on.

Calm down my fellow geeks.

H is not a god, not even a great man. Just a CEO

So do you look down upon Jony Ive, who clearly also thought Jobs was a great man?

permol

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Sickness

Celebrate the hypothetical birthday of a deceased?
Wouldn't it more relevant to give time for some testing and not leave that to customers?

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Reasons why Apple won't make a 17" iPad:
1. They're not intuitive, easy-to-use consumer products which is Apples focus.
2. They's much rather make a touch-screen iMac with iOSX where the launch pad finally will be useable than 2+ kg iPad(awful).

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It's more enticing when rumor have some kind of proof or even a convincing lie to back it up. This is just another dart throw at a calendar.

If someone had some convincing data on screen production and A6 production schedules/status, it would be believable. Due to present production problems, I'd expect a Jobs-Birthday reveal and a release in April-May.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
So do you look down upon Jony Ive, who clearly also thought Jobs was a great man?

You don't know what you are talking about. Johnny Ives was constantly pissed of at Steve Jobs for taking credit for his work. As a matter of fact they had to re-negotiate his contract a couple years back in order to persuade him not to leave Apple because he was so unhappy with the situation

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Have to agree. Apple use a very UK/European design in their products now, and very un American

Strange isn't it, that American look upon a UK/European minimal style as a think they love and they don't like the "American Look" on tech devices.

It's not rocket science. Just keep it simple, plain, neat and tidy (or look in an Ikea Catalogue)
Being from the UK myself I have never like the American "Throw everything at it and hope it sticks" design approach. Even as a child, show me an old america car with curves and wings or a Harley Davidson and I'd almost throw up.

Strange, as again, that was/is all form over function again, but in the wrong way.

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Feb 24 2012 is a Friday. No way they'll do a major announcement on a Friday. (News would get buried for the weekend. Apple usually announces Tuesdays for good reason. Fridays are when you announce bad news.)

Not to mention how uncharacteristically sappy this would be of Apple, even if Feb 24 was a better day of the week.

So, no.

"Released" and "Unveiled" are two totally different things. They can show this thing a week or two away from the 24th, and put it on sale on that day, easily.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Retina and Siri will do it for me ... just hope that the CPU & main memory will be powerful enough to drive the new iPad
February would be fine for me; but international rollout I guess again one month delayed.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
If apple can put in retina display with A6 processor (Or something that will be able to drive this crazy resolution) then apple can have my 500 dollars.

Feb sounds like a good release date.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Limiting time off just to meet a deadline in memory of someone, charming.

It is also possible that the company simply set a rule that any requests for that period, which falls on a local major holiday, would be limited to X days per person to be fair to everyone. Otherwise, the folks that ask first would ask for say the whole week and then those that happened to be further down on the list might not get any days approved because otherwise they would be short staffed. Same as what many US companies do, especially retail ones. I remember when I worked for Borders Books in college from Black Friday through Jan 2 NO requests for days off were approved, no matter when you asked for them. That was total black out. And fairness was one of the major reasons cited.

That it happens to be the birth date of the now dead ex CEO of one of the client companies could be moot and this is all about it being the Lunar New Year which means pretty much nothing for the US but might be a huge deal in Taiwan

----------

(might get some more press but the iPad 3 will get tons anyway).

That press is one of the reasons why I think that Apple could avoid that date like the plague. The whole Apple=Steve Jobs is part of what almost killed the company's stock value about 4 years ago. Apple figured this out and moved to show that Steve isn't the only brain in the company but not all of the media has learned the lesson. They would harp on it being Steve's Birthday (if Steve was alive . . .) continuing that whole false notion. It's not Steve's Apple anymore and it's time to move on. I think even Steve would approve of the company avoiding that connection.

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
Processor powerful enough for resolution?

My big question is will doubling the resolution leave the iPad struggling with graphics? I would assume that would have to be some severe processing power, especially with playing certain games.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Likely, the push to go retina might come with a processor upgrade, if it happens. The A5 was meant to have a lot more than the screen resolution demanded due to the capability of stuff that would really task the system. (Mirroring). So it's always nice to have that extra, under the hood, for when it starts to push graphics beyond just what is displayed in the unit. Retina itself came with a major processor bump and the creation of the A4 processor.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
All of this overblown Steve Jobs crap is out of control.

I look down upon people who hero worship a freakin CEO.

If anyone should be honored it's Johnny Ives and all of the engineers who developed the damn products.

Some people are just too fanatical about how much they like Mac stuff and need someone to focus their obsession on.

Calm down my fellow geeks.

H is not a god, not even a great man. Just a CEO
I don't worship anyone or anything. However, the thought of Apple is simply the sum of individual talents is simply wrong.
A leader who assembles the right team, recognizes the talents and is capable of bringing the best out of everyone makes every difference. Do you think you could do the same with the same team if you were "just the CEO"? Don't think so; at least with your understanding of team leading.

----------

Likely, the push to go retina might come with a processor upgrade, if it happens. The A5 was meant to have a lot more than the screen resolution demanded due to the capability of stuff that would really task the system. (Mirroring). So it's always nice to have that extra, under the hood, for when it starts to push graphics beyond just what is displayed in the unit. Retina itself came with a major processor bump and the creation of the A4 processor.

It's mostly GPU with its raw fill rate, which is harder to push than polygon processing.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
You don't know what you are talking about. Johnny Ives was constantly pissed of at Steve Jobs for taking credit for his work. As a matter of fact they had to re-negotiate his contract a couple years back in order to persuade him not to leave Apple because he was so unhappy with the situation

Oh right, so pissed off at Jobs that he delivered one of the most deep and heartwarming eulogies at Apple's memorial event, even shedding a little tear.

Seems it's actually you who don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

----------

Pathetic???

Dude......My last name really IS Gates.

And you call yourself Mr?

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
17" too small for a laptop

I'd buy one too. That'd be my dream machine.

After using multiple 30" displays with my Mac Pro I would think that 17" would be a very good iPad size. After purchasing several 17" PowerBooks & MacBook Pros I can clearly say that in my opinion 17" screen is too small for a real laptop. 24", 27" & 30" 16:10 ratio screened MacBook Pro models.

This sounds like a winner on both sides. 17" iPad & a much larger & more useful laptop working sized screens. Where & when can I purchase both. The next back to school special could be a free 17" iPad with the purchase of a new 30" MacBook Pro. I'm saving my $'s.

----------

Celebrate the hypothetical birthday of a deceased?
Wouldn't it more relevant to give time for some testing and not leave that to customers?

We need to get more people involved in this process.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Simple is older than Europe!!!

Have to agree. Apple use a very UK/European design in their products now, and very un American

Strange isn't it, that American look upon a UK/European minimal style as a think they love and they don't like the "American Look" on tech devices.

It's not rocket science. Just keep it simple, plain, neat and tidy (or look in an Ikea Catalogue)
Being from the UK myself I have never like the American "Throw everything at it and hope it sticks" design approach. Even as a child, show me an old america car with curves and wings or a Harley Davidson and I'd almost throw up.

Strange, as again, that was/is all form over function again, but in the wrong way.

But now with this form over function thing that Apple uses there is not room for a keyboard with a numeric keypad even on the 17" MacBook Pro, even though HP has managed to do that even on 15" models. This lack of function requires me to carry either a numeric keypad of generally a full sized keyboard. It seems like Apple has gone past the minimum. We need a little more where function has a little more say so in the form part rather than making the form being the only important part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.