Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelped

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
How long should I expect the Magsafe power adapter to last? Do I need to be extra careful when handling it? Will it hold up to the stresses of twice-daily winding and unwinding?

It is definitely not worth the $80 that Apple charges, so I'm wondering if I should try to get a replacement a week or two before the warranty ends.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 478

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How long should I expect the Magsafe power adapter to last? Do I need to be extra careful when handling it? Will it hold up to the stresses of twice-daily winding and unwinding?

It is definitely not worth the $80 that Apple charges, so I'm wondering if I should try to get a replacement a week or two before the warranty ends.
If you take care of it, it should last years. I've never had to replace one, in almost 4 years... still good as new. Just don't pull it out of the MBA by the cord. Grab the connector and tilt it to break the magnetic grip instead.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
with the iDevice I'd be careful and pull it out by the actual connector and not the cable. I've never had an issue but the wife has hooped a few of them. As for the MagSafe...hell that thing is so durable it's not even funny, I'd never worry about it...my kids have basically kicked it off my MBA and my MBP countless times and it still works perfectly.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
My adapter gave up after just three months. I suspect a loose connection. Replaced it at Apple store where I was told that problems are not uncommon because of the large number of wires inside.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
My current MBA is a Genius Bar replacement for my overheating first generation MBA.

When Apple replaced it, my adapter was at home, so they didn't give me a new one. So my current adapter is a day 1 adapter for the MBA. So mine has been going strong, and still looking like brand new since January of 2008. It's been dragged from Denver to Austin, to Duluth, Manhattan, Seattle, Miami, Brussels, Amsterdam and the UK.

forum user

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
I know those pictures. The cable for the iPhone 3G gave up really soon after purchase. That was still in 2008. The cable for the iPhone4 is still going strong.

I would't compare those cables to the Magsafe connector. These seem to be much more sturdy in comparison.

- Olaf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.