Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trw8108

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
Can my MacBook pro run TOR

I have a 13" mid 2009 MacBook pro 2.26 ghz 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 nvidia GeForce 9400M 256 mb running lion? Will my MacBook be able to handle the game and if so what way should I run it, parallels or boot camp?

SpyFox229

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
Would it work?

Hello!

I have a 2010 21.5" iMac with a 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 processor and ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics.

Most people have mentioned buying Windows 7, but I'm wondering how well ToR would work using Windows XP(through either parallels or bootcamp). Which would be better? The requirements for the game say it can be run on XP, but how well would it work on my iMac?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
How'd you get Parallels to use 512MB of VRAM? Mine caps out at 256MB. Also, I have the same exact specs as you (though I'm running Parallels with 4 CPUs to the VM) and yet mine is unplayable. Did you change anything else?

really? Parallels 7.. fully updated, running Win7 Pro 64 bit and the vram slider goes up to 1gb for me...

I didn't give it 4 CPUs because I've found the VM actually runs slower if you give it too much stuff (and SWTOR is only made for 1 CPU), because OSX suffers too much and slows down the VM.

I have everything graphically maxed int he game, except I keep Bloom and Shadows disabled, because bloom makes a big hit, and shadows makes it unplayable. Other than that, no I really didn't do anything special. If you aren't using a fully updated Parallels 7, then I doubt its going to work good... VMWare and older versions of Parallels cannot handle it very well.

To everyone worried if their machines will run it... SWTOR is NOT even close to top of the line graphics. Its designed to be able to run on a wide range of systems including low end... you do not need a powerhouse to run the game.

EDIT: also if it matters, I run Windows as fullscreen... but I tried knocking it back to a window and it still ran ok.

Last edited:

Blooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Im new to playing pc games and i was wondering how you change settings like anti aliasing. i cant see it in game settings.

Edit: also what is all this overclocking people are talking about? Does it make the game more playable?

Could anyone point me to a tutorial?

VeganHipster

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Im new to playing pc games and i was wondering how you change settings like anti aliasing. i cant see it in game settings.

Edit: also what is all this overclocking people are talking about? Does it make the game more playable?

Could anyone point me to a tutorial?

For some reason SWTOR does not have Anti-Aliasing as an option on the preferences. People on the official SWTOR forum have found out how to force Anti-Aliasing though I did not reach too much on it.

Fitret

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
really? Parallels 7.. fully updated, running Win7 Pro 64 bit and the vram slider goes up to 1gb for me...

I didn't give it 4 CPUs because I've found the VM actually runs slower if you give it too much stuff (and SWTOR is only made for 1 CPU), because OSX suffers too much and slows down the VM.

I have everything graphically maxed int he game, except I keep Bloom and Shadows disabled, because bloom makes a big hit, and shadows makes it unplayable. Other than that, no I really didn't do anything special. If you aren't using a fully updated Parallels 7, then I doubt its going to work good... VMWare and older versions of Parallels cannot handle it very well.

To everyone worried if their machines will run it... SWTOR is NOT even close to top of the line graphics. Its designed to be able to run on a wide range of systems including low end... you do not need a powerhouse to run the game.

EDIT: also if it matters, I run Windows as fullscreen... but I tried knocking it back to a window and it still ran ok.

Thanks for calling out that earlier versions of Parallels don't work so hot - I thought I had 7 but it turns out I was running 6! I just bought it a few months ago so I assumed I had the latest version. Anyway, updated to Parallels 7 now and it runs really really well (thank you, free upgrade!). Thanks for the advice!

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I play on the 27" iMac with 12GB of RAM, the i5 processor, and the 1GB 6970 videocard. I play the game now at 1080p with 4x Antialiasing and 16x Anisotropic filtering. All settings are maxed including shadows, but bloom is turned off. I get mid 30s on the fleet with a ton of players on screen or on planets with a ton of foilage. On rare spots where there is a ton of fog, upper 20s. Everywhere else, it's in the upper 50s and higher.

Performance would skyrocket if I turned shadows off, but I like them and the game is very playable with them on. Bloom isn't worth it, as a good 10 frames or more are usually lost for minimal graphical improvement. Shadows add a lot to a scene and make it look less flat. Bloom... not so much.

Good tip on the bloom. On my desktop PC I have everyting maxed and enabled AA in ini files and occasionally FPS dips below the 60 vsync so I'll maybe disable bloom.

BTW AA is super worth it, the game is pretty jagged without it. I only have 1x turned on but it makes a big difference to me IMO.

go to your top bar, put in %appdata% press enter, go back a folder to appdata -> local -> -> SWTOR -> swtor -> settings -> and open up client_settings.ini

add AntiAliasingLevel = 1 under [Renderer] section; you can change it to 2 or 4 or 8 if you like but it takes a massive hit above 2x in performance and it honestly doesn't look that much better. Go for 1

my ini looks like this:

Code:
[Renderer]
D3DFullScreen = false
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
VerticalSyncState = true
FullScreen = true
EnableBloom = true
AntiAliasingLevel = 1

[Game]
MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies
SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I'm running a Late 2008 MBP:
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

If I were to install XP under bootcamp with a ~80GB partition how well would the game run? I'm not to worried about it being pretty, I currently play WoW on low settings. As long as the game runs smoothly I'm not worried about it looking fantastic.

I installed it on the late 08 core duo MBP in my sig. Using a 60gb 64-bit Windows 7 partition in Bootcamp.

Put all settings on low, disabled shadows and one of the sound settings, and dropped the res to 1024 x ___. The game is totally playable.

Yogakun

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I have a fresh install of win 7x64 ultimate sp1, all updates, and the game fully updated. I launched it for the first time, but I am getting no video. I have an imac 2011 mid-2011 model, base unit.

Any solutions?

Interlagos

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
Fog Killing my FPS

I have the newest 17" MBP with 1GB of VRAM and I have all the game settings as low as they can go, running at 1920x1200 and I get 60fps for the majority of the game, except for when there's blue fog or a hologram call. In these instances my frame rate is reduced to around 8 fps. Also space missions are running at really low frame rates as well. Seems as if the graphics card is capable of running this game perfectly, I was on the other hand able to run Skyrim very well, a much more graphics intensive game. Any suggestions?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I have the newest 17" MBP with 1GB of VRAM and I have all the game settings as low as they can go, running at 1920x1200 and I get 60fps for the majority of the game, except for when there's blue fog or a hologram call. In these instances my frame rate is reduced to around 8 fps. Also space missions are running at really low frame rates as well. Seems as if the graphics card is capable of running this game perfectly, I was on the other hand able to run Skyrim very well, a much more graphics intensive game. Any suggestions?
Check that you have the latest graphics drivers and if that doesn't work, hope the next patch fixes it.

Interlagos

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
Check that you have the latest graphics drivers and if that doesn't work, hope the next patch fixes it.

Thanks you, I did check through windows if it had the latest video driver and it did. Does AMD provide a specific driver package I can install?

peter3mj

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
15 inch macbook pro mid 2009
2.53 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Windows 7, 32 bit

Download the entire game and go to enter and it wont even load, gives me an error code. :( Put windows 7 on my computer just for this game.

Yogakun

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
So i escalated my problem to level inept level 2 technical support. After waiting for 2 hours, and sending them an email with my full diagnosis files, they told me they can't help me because I'm using bootcamp.

I'm hoping some solution comes from this board, because in the swtor forums some people are having the same issues like me:

The game is installed, but as soon as I launch the game, it goes black. No video, just sound.

corbyone

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
So i escalated my problem to level inept level 2 technical support. After waiting for 2 hours, and sending them an email with my full diagnosis files, they told me they can't help me because I'm using bootcamp.

I'm hoping some solution comes from this board, because in the swtor forums some people are having the same issues like me:

The game is installed, but as soon as I launch the game, it goes black. No video, just sound.

I am by no means sure this will work nor am I a mac person (yet) but I am a computer teacher and when we first installed windows 7 on our PCs there were certain programs that what you are describing would happen. To this day one still does it. What you can try is to press the windows key (what ever keystroke one a mac would do the same in bootcamp) the key that brings up the start/program menu. You may see the menu appear with SWTOR running in the background in a smaller window, then you ca maximize and see if it works. Like I said not sure it will work but it does for a few programs I use in my classroom. Hope it helps...

Yogakun

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I fixed it! so far so good.

I don't know about bootcamp, I tried installing 3.3, but apparently I can't install it because I have 4.01. I'm still a mac noob, really only playing with the osx since August.

Anyway I'm in windows, and I thought I had the latest drivers from AMD 11.xx.
No, I tried the latest AMD 12.1 preview drivers, I restart, and it works.

Hopefully it fixes it. The solution was by lurking the forums endlessly, until someone said that amd 12.1 drivers work.

This is the solution for your black screens I'm guessing, which Is a big problem on the swtor forums.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
15 inch macbook pro mid 2009
2.53 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Windows 7, 32 bit

Download the entire game and go to enter and it wont even load, gives me an error code. :( Put windows 7 on my computer just for this game.

Sorry to hear.. but yeah that 9400m won't cut it.

Rhieia

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Help!

13'' MacBook - Late 2008
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I need this game to run. I just got it for Christmas. But I don't know what I should do. What would be the best option for my computer? I originally was just going to go with Parallels, but now I'm reading all of this stuff about BootCamp and Wineskin and all of this other stuff I've never heard of or dealt with. Do I really need to partition my drive to play this game?

I don't mind mediocre graphics. I've been playing WoW with low graphics for years and I'm just fine with that. But I'd really like to avoid major game glitches and side effects to my machine.

Please somebody tell me what I should do!! :confused:

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
13'' MacBook - Late 2008
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I need this game to run. I just got it for Christmas. But I don't know what I should do. What would be the best option for my computer? I originally was just going to go with Parallels, but now I'm reading all of this stuff about BootCamp and Wineskin and all of this other stuff I've never heard of or dealt with. Do I really need to partition my drive to play this game?

I don't mind mediocre graphics. I've been playing WoW with low graphics for years and I'm just fine with that. But I'd really like to avoid major game glitches and side effects to my machine.

Please somebody tell me what I should do!! :confused:
Bootcamp is by far the best option. In fact, with the older hardware you have, it might be your only option.

Wineskin and Parallels are virtualization tools and they will greatly reduce the performance of the game. Bootcamp FTW.

Rhieia

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Bootcamp is by far the best option. In fact, with the older hardware you have, it might be your only option.

Wineskin and Parallels are virtualization tools and they will greatly reduce the performance of the game. Bootcamp FTW.

Ok, but what about this. I'm not sure if this is actually different or not. Apparently there is a combination of bootcamp and parallels.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd78/?source=g_us&gclid=CNPn-7Dona0CFYPc4AodSjynlg

If you could take a look and let me know what that's about it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

marsh043

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
bootcamp help

hello all,

i have windows 7 ultimate installed with parallels 6. i am trying to set up boot camp, because id much rather play on that. i tried burning the ISO Image of windows 7 on a DVD-R but nothing is showing up on that disc, therefore i keep getting this error in Boot Camp Assistant. "The installer disc could not be found. Insert your windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized." Do i need to purchase another copy of windows 7, since the one i have came from parallel 6? I've been searching for answers all over the internet but can't find any

thank you much,

Justin

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Ok, but what about this. I'm not sure if this is actually different or not. Apparently there is a combination of bootcamp and parallels.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd78/?source=g_us&gclid=CNPn-7Dona0CFYPc4AodSjynlg

If you could take a look and let me know what that's about it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)
Sure, thats a good idea but it requires Bootcamp before it will work. Even after you have everything setup, you're not going to be able to play SWTOR using it, you'll have to boot into Bootcamp.

Bootcamp, Bootcamp, Bootcamp... Just use Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.