Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Just switched from droid x to 4s and I agree I realize now how buggy android was iOS is so much smoother

I have not had a single glitch with teh SG2 nor the 4S. But when it comes to smoother the GS2 "creams" the 4S.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
One of the biggest drawbacks is the low resolution display. No worries though SGS3 will fix that with HD Super AMOLED + in 2 months.

While is is technically true that the screen resolution is slightly lower, I don't notice that at all. I just put my super strong reading glasses on and yes, if I look really close I can see individual pixels. I came fron an iPhone 4 and I have never once ever thought "man I wish the resolution was higher". So while the iPhone might win in a pixel pissing contest, the vibrancy and size of the super AMOLED screen shreds the iPhone's screen IMO. when I place them side by side, the iPhone looks tiny and dead by comparison. I have far less eye fatigue and find myself enjoying reading and playing games on the Galaxy much more than my iPhone.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Ha! sold my iPhone 4 in September and got myself a galaxy S II for my birthday. Had it for almost 3 months now and the terrible screen & lack of quality apps/games has taken its toll.. tonight i bought myself a white 4S for christmas :D :D
the Galaxy S II is going on Craigslist

Hahahahah. I did the very same thig. Had a Galaxy S, got sick and tired of the choppy, laggy, buggy Android. The apps are horrible for Android. Only few work with no downfall.
Sick of battery pulls all the time for hangups

I went as far as adding a line to my plan to dump Android and bought myself a white 4s and WOW oh WOW is it soooooo much smoother.

This phone does exactly what I ask it to. I tap something it opens quickly.
I swipe and it moves smooth and precise. The wifi speed is insane compared to the galaxy.
Where my Fascinate side by side on other end of house had NO signal, the 4s has full signal from router and its fast. The Fasc never tagged over 17Mb/s on WiFi sitting 2 feet away, the 4s is real smooth and zings over the 35Mb/s and then holds steady 25(my service) even on other end of house.

The color reproduction on the iPhone is so much better....its actually correct. The galaxy phones have punched colors, but the whites take on a green hue as the trade off.

The camera is head and shoulders better.
Im a professional photographer and Im gonna step in here and say some things about the camera to correct those who mis spoke about the camera in comparison to Nexus and Galaxy.
Its much better. Most phones at ISO 160 start to fall apart. In low light, all phones suffer.
See its not just pixels guys, its the size of those pixels and how the signal is converted. The size of the pixels dictate how much light they see. Then its amplified in low light and thats where grain comes in and color and detail fall off.

I shot some inside last night, was looking at the images in CS5 and was amazed how well they look inside with just overhead lighting.

Then I realized they were at ISO 800!!!!! Thats insane how they look for that ISO. Most phones above 160 look like these at 800.....then most dont even go over 400.
Let me say how this can translate to more keepers. That image was captured at ISO800 1/30th of a second.....and on this device its acceptable
to get sharp, shake free images at 1/30th handheld. Borderline acceptable, if the subject moves it will be blurred, but this was a sleeping cat, so as long as I can keep stable, 1/30 is ok for handheld.

Well, on my Galaxy S, it wont go to ISO800(if it did it would look like cement), so at ISO 400 to keep same exposure, the image would have been recorded at 1/15th and that's too slow to avoid camera shake. Thus blurry image and you toss it. If you drop that to ISO 200 for more acceptable quality, you get to 1/6th and nothing is sharp there.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Switched from android and the 4S just plain works. Yeah you miss out on some of the custom options, but I know that my phone works and will continue to do so. My droid started getting incredibly buggy after 9 months.

Posted with my 5 year old Macbook Pro :D

I swear I posted the very same thing in the Phandroid forum. Wanting to switch to 4s cause of this. I did switch 2 days ago and glad I did.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Ha! sold my iPhone 4 in September and got myself a galaxy S II for my birthday. Had it for almost 3 months now and the terrible screen & lack of quality apps/games has taken its toll.. tonight i bought myself a white 4S for christmas :D :D

I've been saying this about Android and Windows Phone 7 for over a year. Specs and widgets mean squat if the only thing you do with a smartphone is brag about specs and widgets.

I'll say it again:

Android users brag about specs and widgets and customize the UI. iPhone users use their device.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Im waiting for SGS3. Its gonna be really really awesome phone:

- quad core NEX Exynos with 2x graphics performance and ICS hardware acceleration for super smooth UI and great games
- 10Mpx camera with 1080p 60fps video recording
- Better battery life (+2000mha)
- 720p screen resolution (finally! The SGS2 low screen resolution is the only reason I didnt buy it)
- NFC (dont care)
- 4G (dont care)
- 32GB + microsd for 64GB total
- 1.5GB RAM
- ICS

Cant wait for CES 2012.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I've been saying this about Android and Windows Phone 7 for over a year. Specs and widgets mean squat if the only thing you do with a smartphone is brag about specs and widgets.

I'll say it again:

Android users brag about specs and widgets and customize the UI. iPhone users use their device.

You mean we can actually use our Android devices to do things? We spend all of our time bragging about specs and staring at our beautiful screens. Who knew we could do more with them! :rolleyes:

That has to be one of the most inane comments i've read on these forums, and I've seen a lot of them.

nraudigy2

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011

Same here. I got Galaxy S2. It's great for watching videos, browsing websites, and reading books. I just can't stand the lack of apps on Android and force closes. Very happy with the 4S. I can't wait for iPhone 5 with bigger screen. Android app fragmentation can't be fixed. Google needs to force them to use one SoC only or Tegra 3 would be a good choice since most Android tablets are using Tegra 2.

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
You mean we can actually use our Android devices to do things? We spend all of our time bragging about specs and staring at our beautiful screens. Who knew we could do more with them! :rolleyes:

That has to be one of the most inane comments i've read on these forums, and I've seen a lot of them.

Not really. The only arguments coming from the pro Android are these. So in the 15 years or so of using cell phones, I can safely say I *might* have more experience in the cell phone and online forums use than you.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
iPhone 4S simply...

- feels better
- looks better
- works better
- takes photos better
- takes video better
- does the job better
- it's a better phone overall...

everything is just better

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I upgraded to the GSII because it was $10. So far I like it, but it certainly is missing a great deal of integration that iOS features. God forbid I try to sync music to this phone. Accessing the music player from the lock screen? I need another app for that. Ending a call from the lock screen? Still haven't figured that one out. Custom volume for ringer and media? Doesn't look like it can be done.

My biggest gripe about the 4/4S is its fragility. I've seen many phones with the front and back cracked to hell, and I would not want that to happen so I am going to wait out until it is redesigned.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
iPhone 4S simply...

- feels better
- looks better
- works better
- takes photos better
- takes video better
- does the job better

I have to agree! I also have an HTC Evo and it's awful!

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

I wouldn't use the word "use" there. I personally enjoy wasting time trying out different ROMs and doing other stuff through Clockworkmod, but that's not "use" of my Android. That's just geeky fun not meant for the regular consumers who won't be posting on online forums.

I like my tech toys and there always have been products with the hacking appeal. However for the vast majority of phone buyers, the main appeal is how nice it is to actually use the device for its intended purposes and how well it serves them.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
So far I like it, but it certainly is missing a great deal of integration that iOS features. God forbid I try to sync music to this phone. Google music player with cloud storage and desktop manager will do wonders for u
Accessing the music player from the lock screen? Built in music player should have that built in.
Ending a call from the lock screen? You can configure power button to end calls. Question is why? Proximity sensor will black out the screen and u can end call after you move your phone away from ur face.
Custom volume for ringer and media? Audioguru will let you do that and very granularly

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
iPhone 4S simply...

- feels better
- looks better
- works better
- takes photos better
- takes video better
- does the job better

It's just a personal preference, to me the iPhone is too small, the OS is getting boring, other than that, it's a great device.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
iPhone 4S simply...

- feels better
- looks better
- works better
- takes photos better
- takes video better
- does the job better

Works better - depends if you want something simple or something functional. Android isn't just an app launcher, the apps integrate with the os.

It might take photos better but it's rubbish at sharing them :p you can quite easily pick 20 photos on android and email, upload to Facebook, upload to google+ etc.

You can't really say that iOS looks better when android is skinnable. I've set mine up with a nice blue theme which I much prefer to the look of ios.

iOS is easier to set up and learn how to use, but in terms of actual features there's no contest, android is generations ahead. And I'm talking about android gingerbread, not even ice cream sandwich.

iOS is generations ahead in terms of app store.

So both platforms have their pros and cons :)

okayjustin

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
SF bay area
Every year I get a little bored and have to try out other devices. I recently test drove the Droid Razr and the Galaxy Nexus. One thing I find hilarious is every time I leave for a while and come back, I find lots of Android postings on here. Apple fans don't do that on the Android Forums.

Guys, we all gripe about these Android post, but know this, as long as they post here, Apple is still the best and on top. They would not be trying to rationalize buying an inferior device if not the case.

Now a little comparison.

Droid Razr, built as well a the iPhone, but a little awkward to hold. The current Gingerbread is not fluid, so not much of a challenger.

Galaxy Nexus, Ice Cream Sandwich is getting there. Much smoother but still not intuitive. Biggest gripe with the Gnex is horrible signal. It would register 110 dBm compared to iPhones 83 dBm. Lower is better.

Neither can touch the iPhones camera, battery life, or ease of use.

Save your money. Android will not yet fill the Apple void. I am gonna keep my iPhone 4s happily, until the iPhone 5 or Jelly Bean on the Motorola Nexus.

Good post.

I'm also back from Android. it's been a good trip! But after a while of android it gets really boring though some could say that about iOS as well (since I also switched). For me it's fantastic to be back with an iPad even though this is an iPhone thread

I went from iPhone to android in the smartphone world and enjoyed tweaking for awhile. Then it just became........ Lifeless

I just bought an iPad 2 for the holidays and couldn't be more satisfied!
Also what a disappointment that Prime was. Now everyone sees they should have just bought the original Transformer.

Yeah it's just a rant

Last edited:

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Was using the iPhone 2G since 2007... After almost 3 years got myself the Bold 2 (peer pressure: oh the whole world has a BB!!!)... Was fun catching up with old friends who were on the thousands of groups I got added to, but then after a couple of months it got bloody annoying... Keep answering the thousands of questions... Then finally I had enough and sold it at half the price within 6 months of purchase... :(

The iPhone 4 was almost halfway through its cycle so thought of trying out Android... A friend (tech geek, but never owned an iPhone.) was using the Nexus S and said it was a good thing... I didn't like the phone much (I have been a hater of Samsung products since years... Be it Home appliances, TV's or phones) so I bought myself a HTC Desire Z... It was good looking, a bit heavy but I quite liked it... But everything about it felt like a straight rip off of the iPhone... But very slowwww... Even the packaging was soooo similarr...!!! This was somewhere in December... By Feb I was soo fed up with the Battery life and having to kill all applications everytime that I stopped using applications... lol... I read somewhere on the forums that the phone would get 2.3 very soon... The company promised a March roll out... March came by and we were well into April but no update... By that time I had already had had enough of Android and was desperately waiting for June to come so I could get myself the iPhone 5... To my horror no news of the iPhone...! The three months of waiting made me more desperate as even after many other phones getting the 2.3 update I was still struggling with 2.2.1... And everytime I got the news that it would be next month for sure... I tried installing cyanogenmod but then my baseband was incompatible... Finally in late August I got so frustrated with the phone (regular freeze ups, signal loss, long response times, automatic boots, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...!) that I sold it and went back to my old and trusty Nokia N86 till the iPhone got announced...

And when the iPhone was FINALLY announced I pre-ordered it from the Canadian store to be delivered at my cousins place... Unlocked, 64GB black... :D I finally got my phone in Mid November... When my cousin finally flew down to India... And the last one month has been bliss... Because now "everything just works"... :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.