Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Reviving two year old threads isn't always the best idea.

The iPhone does keep detailed timestamps of its text messages in its SMS database. But it just doesn't display them to the user.

What's the point of that? :rolleyes:

OT: Thank you, matttye. People get grief for not searching. This one gets grief for searching. The new post was OT where the criticism was not. The alternative is a new thread for the same thing.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The thing is, why not? I've had more then a couple times
I had to know the exact time of a text.

I don't see why they would leave something out that literally every other phone has just because. Unless I'm missing something?

I would also really like this to be added. The very least, they could add it as an option that could be turned on or off. It's one of the things that makes me sometimes miss whatsapp ever since I switched to solely using iMessage

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I have to agree there have been times when I needed the exact time of a text and I've been SOL.

I wish the option were there for the user to enable it as needed. :rolleyes:

I'm with you, anyone know what the timeframe is that it shows a new timestamp? Such as if you text someone at 9 it will stamp that condo and you pick it back up at 11 then it will time stamp that. In the past it seems like 15 minutes ish?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I would also really like this to be added. The very least, they could add it as an option that could be turned on or off. It's one of the things that makes me sometimes miss whatsapp ever since I switched to solely using iMessage
Why not just use both Whatsapp and iMessage?

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
The thing is, why not? I've had more then a couple times
I had to know the exact time of a text.

I don't see why they would leave something out that literally every other phone has just because. Unless I'm missing something?

Yeah, give me ONE example where you actually HAD to know the EXACT time of a text.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, give me ONE example where you actually HAD to know the EXACT time of a text.
Coworker disputes when you texted him on your company phones. You show your boss the sent text proving your coworker wrong.

There's a reason why company messaging and email ALWAYS has timestamps.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Coworker disputes when you texted him on your company phones. You show your boss the sent text proving your coworker wrong.

There's a reason why company messaging and email ALWAYS has timestamps.

That WOULD be time stamped. If it's in a convo, and it's not a super 20 minute convo, than the first one would be timed. SO no, that's NOT a legit reason.

Well, it's nice when someone tx you that they'll be over in 50 minutes, and you can go back 1/2 later to see when the tx was sent, how much time you have left -
see above

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
That WOULD be time stamped. If it's in a convo, and it's not a super 20 minute convo, than the first one would be timed. SO no, that's NOT a legit reason.

see above

Sounds like you don't play well with others -
Your way or the highway? Not a good stance when on a public forum - ;)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

see above

Maybe people like I just like to have the time? and they wouldn't always be timestamped like the " i'll be over in 50" in the following example:

Convo starts at 9:23 AM
Alex: Hi
John: Hey
Alex: How Are you?
---Continuous chat for 20 minutes, so the iPhone does not include that "timestamp---
Alex: Sure I'll come over in 50 minutes.
John: Ok sure
---continuous conversation for 4.5 minutes---
John: Ok see you when you get here.

Unless of course, you write down the times.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Within a 20 minute window, a lot can happen, such as a deadline.

What Apple needs to do is add timestamps for every conversation by letting people tap a chat bubble to see the time it was sent/received, since they apparently think normal timestamps are ugly.

Mjd2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Wife gave me her blackberry to follow text thread she had with kid. Time stamps were critical to resolving an issue. Now I don't have time stamps om my iPhone. Not good.

Can I figure out workarounds? Yes but I Don't want all that effort and think inking and creativity. I just want to see the time beside the message

Who is apple to decide what is important to me? Just give me ths option that is universaly on other phones. I'll decide if I want to use it

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
LOL, oh I dont work?

Try 2 jobs. I live in LA and I'm not FROM here, so yeah I work.

And please oh mighty one, explain why working has anything to do with having to know the exact minute you send a text, rather than knowing the time frame?

I'll be waiting for the answer..

And keep the drama for your real life. Just because I schooled you on the white vs black thread, doesn't mean you have to be sour. Seriously though how old are you? 18?

I send text to a dispatcher when I complete a certain job. If I don't get a response in 10 minutes I need to text again. If I text too often they get annoyed, if I don't text enough I look lazy and I get annoyed.

Knowing the exactly minute would be useful for me at my work.

kael900

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Within a 20 minute window, a lot can happen, such as a deadline.

What Apple needs to do is add timestamps for every conversation by letting people tap a chat bubble to see the time it was sent/received, since they apparently think normal timestamps are ugly.

I agree completely! Not having timestamps is really a problem! Having them hidden by default is fine, but there must be a way to view them, and Calidude's solution is clean and intuitive.

Ant1108

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Ok for all the people against the option to have a timestamp for each text are just plain dumb. Shame on those asking stupid questions like "why would you need to know the exact time of a text" or asking people to give examples of situations where one would need to know the time of a text---you know who you are. SHAME on you!!!

First of all, for the iPhone not to have this feature is just plain dumb. Whoever or whomever decided for this feature not to be optional is/are dumb and selfish. Its really that simple--give three options---1. timestamp off 2. The existing default way. 3. Timestamp each text.

The question shouldn't be why you would need to know the time of each text, but rather why is't there a feature to have a timestamp for each text?

And again, those in this thread who ask why you would need a timestamp for each text should really think about what they are asking.

We are all paying customers and a feature like this is obviously important for certain people. We as paying customers should be able to request it and Apple as a company should do everything possible to listen to customer feedback and try to fullfill each request.

I can bet my life that all it would take is a weeks worth of work to implement a feature like this.

So my question is:

After years of work on new features and updates, why the ******* hasn't Apple added a timestamp feature for every text received/sent??

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Ok for all the people against the option to have a timestamp for each text are just plain dumb. Shame on those asking stupid questions like "why would you need to know the exact time of a text" or asking people to give examples of situations where one would need to know the time of a text---you know who you are. SHAME on you!!!

So my question is:

After years of work on new features and updates, why the ******* hasn't Apple added a timestamp feature for every text received/sent??

Way to go on starting out a post calling everyone that disagrees with you an idiot. Where did you come from where you thought this was a good way to get people to listen to you?

Anyway, I think the best way to get what both sides want would be to have it like it is by default and having it where if you held your finger over a message, it showed the time and date it was received. This way, the ui stays clean and uncluttered.

Option 2 would be to have a setting for those that want it to have the time and date displayed all the time for each and every message without having to hold your finger down on the message. Apple probably already thought of this and at some point will slip it into an update. It just makes too much sense to leave out

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I don't understand how people can justify the lack of timestamps on individual texts. This is such an elementary and useful feature. It just is beyond me why Apple wouldn't include it.

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
I'm so glad I didn't pick iphone 4s as my next phone.

This is a must have feature and Apple leaves it out.

Oh well I feel bad for you iPhone users, time stamps can be very handy at times.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
LoL.... I could care less about time stamping each text. If you like it, cool. Download an app that does it or move to another phone. Simple solution to those of you with the issue.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, it's annoying sometimes, but I put the tweak (from Cydia) on that shows all the timestamps, and I removed it within 30 seconds, the visual pollution was unbearable.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
What's the point of that? :rolleyes:

The point is to make a cleaner interface for 90% of users. Most people just need to know when a conversation happened, not when a specific text was sent.

But there are many simple ways they could implement this, they could even just throw an option in settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.