Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Hopefully this will help some one out there like me who purchased Harry Potter 7 pt 2 and was a bit disappointed that WB had decided to go through some service called UltraViolet (through Flixster) rather than providing a iTunes compatible digital copy, you get stuck with their proprietary player, etc.. etc...

However if you contact their support, they will send you an iTunes code to download the movie through iTunes. Here's what I did:

I submitted a support ticket through: http://support.ultraviolet.flixster.com/ics/support/ticketNew.asp

• Filled in Name/Email
  • Put in a Summary (something to hte effect of the movies not working on iOS devices and needingthem in iTunes)
  • Put in the Comment/Question that I need the movies in iTunes and that is why I buy didgital copies so that I can watch them on my iOS devices, otherwise I wouldn't buy them... etc...
  • You may also want to save yourself some back and forth in emails and give them your origional redemption code that came in the DVD/BR sleeve.
  • Filled in Issue Type as "Playback"
  • Device as iPhone/iPad (don't remember which I put)
  • Title as "Harry Potter 7 - Part 2"
  • Rate your Flixster UV Experience: I put "Poor"
  • Clicked the Finish Button.

With a couple emails back and forth for the redemption code, etc. (they were polite and understanding I must say) they sent me an iTunes redemption code that has downloaded the following files:

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 / David Yates [1.77 GB]
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - iTunes Extras / David Yates [About 0.55 GB]

All in all it was about 30 minutes from the time I submitted the ticket, to when I was starting to downloading the movie in iTunes.

It's dumb that you have to go through this, but at least Flixster was pleasent about it I suppose.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I just threw the blu-ray disc into the computer and ended up with a DVD quality and a 720p quality version of the movie. Yeah, it took a few hours, but at least I got it and it's not tied to my account. I've given up on the digital download codes; quality typically isn't the best and they make you jump through too many hoops. Just rip it and be done with it.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I just threw the blu-ray disc into the computer and ended up with a DVD quality and a 720p quality version of the movie. Yeah, it took a few hours, but at least I got it and it's not tied to my account. I've given up on the digital download codes; quality typically isn't the best and they make you jump through too many hoops. Just rip it and be done with it.

While I can appreciate what you are saying, and I can appreciate that it is a valid option for many people. There are people who for one reason or another (Lack of a BR drive on their Mac, some people mare personally have a moral delemma with the idea of ripping becasue they have been told it equates to stealing, may not want to go through the hassle of time/effort, may not know how to rip, etc...) may not want or be able to rip the movie. I have posted the instructions to help those people.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
You just saved me a ton of trouble! Many thanks!

Glad to help :) I hope enough people complain, and submit tickets that WB learns they need to at least give people a choice for what kind of digital download works best for them. I'm sure the UltraViolet/Flixster thing works great for some people, but for many others we want it through iTunes, and I'm sure there's even other people that would prefer a Windows Media File. Hollywood doesn't seem to understand that when they heavily restrict their offerings that's when people start copying movies because they (as legal buyers of the movies) get sick of the hassel they get when they are buying the movies. It becomes more appealing for even honest people to pirate movies because they don't have to deal with the hassel and insanity that Hollywood wants to try and impose.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant huh ? lol

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'll do this just to discourge them from using Flixster in the future. I already ripped the dvd, but I'd much rather just have an itunes digital copy and be done with it. I am just glad most Blu-rays are now coming with DVD's as I don't have a BR dirive on my Mac and that at least lets me rip everything.

mlokrongly11

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
However if you contact their support, they will send you an iTunes code to download the movie through iTunes. Here's what I did:

I made an account on this forum for one specific reason. I cannot thank you enough for posting this thread! I was so disappointed when I paid extra for the Blu-Ray copy of HP 7 Pt 2 when I don't even have a Blu-Ray player and the digital copy didn't even work! It was so much hassle just to get the stupid thing to play on my computer and to even watch it on my iPod Touch was a whole other story. I was getting fed up with the whole "Ultraviolet" thing when I found your thread. You gave precise directions and they were very easy to follow. After about 30 minutes of email exchange, I too was downloading my digital copy to iTunes. This whole "Ultraviolet" thing is stupid in my opinion, but as long as I can have my digital copy, I couldn't care less. Thanks again for your wonderful guidance!

Madeline

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
So is ultraviolet a fail? I mean, besides the stupid name and requiring to sign up to another services it sounds inadequate. Most people I know have iTunes but rent from Netflix, and probably won't make it to the next steps of Hulu Plus, then Amazon Prime, then YouTube paid, then ultraWhat?...

So I should sign up for how many services that all together equal a cable monthly bill? Not

Does Hulu Plus still have commercials? I don't know bc I can get the only shows I care about for free with commercials thru the other apps.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Thanks.

Ultraviolet is a big fail. Making me sign up for two accounts to play a movie I purchased, but can only play for 3 years? Yeah, that's a great idea. It's dumb crap like this that encourages going iTunes only, Netflix only, or worse torrenting.

When will the big companies learn not to punish their paying customers, it just makes even more ill will?

anna catchinger

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
With a couple emails back and forth for the redemption code, etc. (they were polite and understanding I must say) they sent me an iTunes redemption code that has downloaded the following files:

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 / David Yates [1.77 GB]
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - iTunes Extras / David Yates [About 0.55 GB]

All in all it was about 30 minutes from the time I submitted the ticket, to when I was starting to downloading the movie in iTunes.

It's dumb that you have to go through this, but at least Flixster was pleasent about it I suppose.

can you tell me where the itunes extra is located? i can't seem to find it after i redeemed the movie on itunes. :( please answer back soon! ><;

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks so much for the instructions on how to get Potter movies on iTunes. I'm getting both Deadly Hallows #1 and #2 for Christmas. Now I'll be able to watch it on the iPad

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Just submitted these for Crazy Stupid Love and Horrible Bosses... I'll update you all on if I am successful! Thanks so much! =)

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks so much! Worked like a charm...probably 20 minutes from first email to successful iTunes code! Thanks OP for the insights!

EvanOllie

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
Worked great!

Thank you so much for posting this! I was so disappointed when the digital copy would not work with my devices. They sent me an iTunes code for HP7 Part2 and are mailing me a disc with a digital copy of green lantern that will work with iTunes. You are currently my hero! :)

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
can you tell me where the itunes extra is located? i can't seem to find it after i redeemed the movie on itunes. :( please answer back soon! ><;

Hi Anne,

My Apologies for the delayed response I've been away for a little while.

I hope you will still find this information helpful

The Extras show up with the movie, (Not as a separate item)
See the below examples:

A Movie without iTunes Extras (HP7.1 in this example):
HP_NoExtras.jog

A Movie WITH iTunes Extras (HP7.2 in this example):
HP_Extras.jpg

Just click on the little booklet looking thing (I highlighted it in the picture)

Hope that helps, let me know if there's any other help I can provide.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Thanks so much for the instructions on how to get Potter movies on iTunes. I'm getting both Deadly Hallows #1 and #2 for Christmas. Now I'll be able to watch it on the iPad
Glad to help :) !

Just submitted these for Crazy Stupid Love and Horrible Bosses... I'll update you all on if I am successful! Thanks so much! =)
Just curious, where you able to get the iTunes versions for those movies? (I hope so!)

Thanks so much! Worked like a charm...probably 20 minutes from first email to successful iTunes code! Thanks OP for the insights!
You're very welcome!

Thank you so much for posting this! I was so disappointed when the digital copy would not work with my devices. They sent me an iTunes code for HP7 Part2 and are mailing me a disc with a digital copy of green lantern that will work with iTunes. You are currently my hero! :)
:D That's awesome that they're helping you out with the other movie(s) too! glad it worked! I'm not sure I'm deserving of hero worship but maybe just this once I'll accept it LOL !

So is ultraviolet a fail? I mean, besides the stupid name and requiring to sign up to another services it sounds inadequate. Most people I know have iTunes but rent from Netflix, and probably won't make it to the next steps of Hulu Plus, then Amazon Prime, then YouTube paid, then ultraWhat?...

So I should sign up for how many services that all together equal a cable monthly bill? Not

Does Hulu Plus still have commercials? I don't know bc I can get the only shows I care about for free with commercials thru the other apps.
Personally I consider Ultraviolet an Ultra-Fail, it does nothing to serve the customers, and really is quite a pain.

Yes Hulu Plus still has commercials, that's the one reason we cancelled our subscription, I didn't like the idea of paying to watch the shows with money, then again paying for it by watching advertisements, my personal opinion is they should pick one model or the other (an advertising based model, or a subscription based model) not try and make me pay for it twice (My time, mindshare and extra bandwidth used for the advertisements are forms of payment)

I made an account on this forum for one specific reason. I cannot thank you enough for posting this thread! I was so disappointed when I paid extra for the Blu-Ray copy of HP 7 Pt 2 when I don't even have a Blu-Ray player and the digital copy didn't even work! It was so much hassle just to get the stupid thing to play on my computer and to even watch it on my iPod Touch was a whole other story. I was getting fed up with the whole "Ultraviolet" thing when I found your thread. You gave precise directions and they were very easy to follow. After about 30 minutes of email exchange, I too was downloading my digital copy to iTunes. This whole "Ultraviolet" thing is stupid in my opinion, but as long as I can have my digital copy, I couldn't care less. Thanks again for your wonderful guidance!

Madeline

Thanks, that means a lot that it was helpful enough for you to create an account just to say thanks ! :) and I'm very happy to have been of assistance. If you have the time you should poke around MacRumors a bit, there are a lot of really great people with helpful information on all kinds of topics.

MrTregs

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
You knuckleheads!

Just put the Flixter Free App on your phone and either download to keep or watch via internet.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Just put the Flixter Free App on your phone and either download to keep or watch via internet.

Your opinion, and you're welcome to it. But I think most people want to manage their media how they want to manage it, through their regular media management program (be it iTunes, or Windows Media player or whatever) not through an extra application and not just how the studios want to try and force it on us. for me the purpose of a digital copy is not to be tied to an internet connection, but to be able to watch it where I want when I want without using up extra bandwidth, without pauses and glitches, and without needing to be sure there's a bandwidth connection available. And to have it with all my other movies (in my case iTunes) anything else is less than adequate.

just curious, why did you sign up for an account today and why is this your only post? I highly doubt it is because you are a Mac fan....

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
The thing I hate is I used to buy the Blu-rays with the digital copy to watch on my iPod classic 160gb now I am not given a choice. I was given an option to download a copy and thought that I would be able to import that to my ipod but no such luck. I can only watch the movie in the flixter app on my computer. And as we know this ipod has no wifi, and to make matters worse I don't really want use my iphone to watch it because I have a caped data plan and I don't want to drain my battery and not be able to text or make a phone call. Plus I am at times with out single ie: flying or at my mom's house where no cell phone gets single.This whole thing is bull. I travel and would love to be able to watch my movies that I paid for legally. YES LEGALLY!!! But thanks for the suggestion, I will try that. When will they get a clue and give us a choice. Those who want to stream should be allowed to and for people like me should be able to download a file that can play on my device. :( :(

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
This all reminds me of a recent article on theverge website about Samsung dissing customers on android updates and they are now reconsidering.

The thing is that most electronics companies and in this situation Movie studios never delt with customers, bestbuy and al always did. The movie studios don't know a thing about customer support or after purchase servicing. This is all new to them. I can't excuse them but they seem to be doing ok for people in this thread but the average consumer won't know how to deal with them.

It's an example of them entering a business that they have no experience in, and would be better off letting Apple or someone else operate. Microsoft Plays for Sure (not really) come to mind.

Pirates will pirate, DRM will always be cracked, people who don't want to pay will get the movies for free, so why make things a pain in the ass for people willing to pay. The studios are making things difficult for their only customers, the people not willing to pay are not customers or even potential customers until prices are lowered, but that's from economics 101.

joeklrc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks!

i just submitted my email and hopefully they will cooperate! thank you so much for your help!:)

jtgreen86

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
First, Thank you for posting this for everyone.

Secondly, I just did this for both Harry Potter 7: Part 2 and Crazy, Stupid, Love. I did it as one ticket and attached an image with both codes to it. I got 2 emails back within 5 minutes. The first was a digital copy code for HP7p2 for iTunes. The second email was a request for my physical address. They are going to mail me a digital copy disc that contains an "iTunes compatible file" for Crazy, Stupid, Love.

The requests work great, and I don't really mind having to wait a couple of weeks to get the digital copy of CSL

Thanks again!

propita

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Yay!

Downloading now!

Fortunately, we don’t have many flixster movies, just this and Green Lantern. Well, that’s my brother-in-law’s, but he doesn’t do computers so he needed our help. Once he gives us the reference code, we can get him a downloaded copy.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Thank you so much! The way Ultravoilet works is really stupid, especially since it's pretty much two companies working together and the whole thing could be a lot better if they just gave you an iTunes redemption code from start.

EDIT: In the email should we state we want an iTunes redemption code?

EDIT 2: The first email I sent them was about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. The second was about season 8 of One Tree Hill, a TV show. I wonder if they'll actually send me an iTunes code for the whole season. Haha.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.