Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarytheiPhonema

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
California

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
No sense in getting all worked up about it now. Who knows when the new iPhone will launch? Only the top folks at Apple. I don't even know why peolpe bother with all this speculation crap. Just enjoy your 4S.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Planning Completely Redesigned iPhone for Fall 2012 Launch?

bgr_2012_iphone_mockup-150x196.jpg

BGR reports that Apple is planning to launch a completely redesigned iPhone in the fall of next year, following the trend set by the iPhone 4S of new hardware being released later in the year as opposed to the mid-year timeframe used previously.

According the report, the next iPhone will utilize an aluminum back panel rather than the glass found on the iPhone 4 and 4S. The new design will reportedly also see the incorporation of a rubber or plastic bezel covering similar to that used on Apple's iPhone bumpers, with the covering serving to protect the device's antennas from direct skin contact.
We have also learned that Apple is planning to use a rubber or plastic material -- similar to the material used in the company's bumper cases -- that will be built into the new iPhone case. In all likelihood, this material will be used as a bezel surrounding the front edge of the phone (like the iPhone 3GS bezel) and it will serve two purposes. First, it will join the glass iPhone face with a new aluminum back plate. It will also cover a redesigned antenna system that surrounds the device, allowing Apple to build the rear case out of aluminum without having to use a large plastic insert above the antennas as the company does on its iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G.
BGR has a mixed track record when it comes to hardware rumors, coming relatively close on Apple's late 2011 iPhone lineup while missing with a claim of a redesigned WiMAX iPhone 5 exclusive to Sprint.

Article Link: Apple Planning Completely Redesigned iPhone for Fall 2012 Launch?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'll make the decision to upgrade when the 5 comes out, not before then. Until it comes out, all we have are rumors, and it's pointless to plan on upgrading based on those.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
Quoting BGR ftl. Their track record is sad at best. Can't we at least let the 4S be out for a full quarter of a year before predicting the next iPhone?

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I like the sound of that, hope it is more than just a rumour. Would be very good if the rubber/plastic acts as a bumper for protection and an aluminium back should look very good.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Excited for a redesign. I would like an iPhone that won't shatter on both sides from an accidental drop.

xdsniper

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
Meh

Meh at aluminium back, never liked it on the ipad, never will...remember when the leaks of the ipad 2 was released and people thought there was no way apple would make something that ugly!!

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
My sources tell me that the new iPhone will be even better than the last one!

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

As long as it dosen't look like rendered , rumor crap. I'd go METRO PCS.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
It would make sense, why allow the ip5 to release just 8 months after the ip4S. Perhaps the people at Apple see October as a better time to launch due to holidays etc.

I personally do not mind, I am enjoying my 4S and I would be glad to upgrade to the 5 in October '12 as I happen to be eligible at that time!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm actually happy they're moving to a winter release schedule if true and i miss the aluminium back of the 2G iPhone.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I'll take this with a grain of salt like every other one of their rumors. But really they are not venturing too far in this one since other rumors have stated a lot of this before. It was not too long ago that BGR came up with a huge rumor of a redesigned macbook for the 2011 models: complete with hybrid ssd/hdd drives and a lighter more compact design. I'd have to say that was one of the biggest letdowns for apple fans in 2011. T'was for me. :apple:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I doubt they'll ride out the iPhone 4/4S design any longer. Actually was surprised that the latest gen iPhone is a "4S".

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I hope I'm not the only one who hopes Apple doesn't release an iPhone that looks like a mini iPad.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hopes up. I miss the original iPhone.

The 3G's plastic felt cheap, & cracked up.
The glass 4G's was fragile, and a little... prancy.

Will buy if it has a metal body.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Make enough guesses and one of them will be right.

However, just look at the history and you can see Apple iPhone external design is changed in about 2 year cycles.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
I could care less what it looks like since I'll undoubtedly keep it in a case anyway, for me, the wait for the iPhone 5 is more about the insides. Fingers crossed for 4G LTE support... Moreso to fix Sprint's god awful data transfer issues.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
a redesign is a guarantee.

i like the idea of a rubber bezel, it will add more grip to the phone.

i wanna see matte black on the next iPhone, like the iPhone 3GS leaked picture:

154412-chinab.jpg

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
What about Samsung?

What if Samsung copied that design concept first and sell it like in the summer even before iPhone 5 was released?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I really like the sound of the plastic/rubbery bezel. That's one of the main reasons I have a case on my iPhone 4 is because without it, the phone is relatively slippery/not easy to grip solidly. I don't mean that it slides out my hand when I hold it, but with a rubbery case, it literally sticks to my hand with ease.

I used to go naked with my iPhone 3G, so I'd like to go naked with the iPhone 5, especially if Apple put extra effort into slimming the device down, last thing I want to do is add on more thickness, like I've done with my iPhone 4, via a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.