Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
Discovered this today while on hold with some tech support. I had speakerphone on, waiting for someone to pick up on the other line. When they did, I started talking to them and realized they couldn't hear me. After some troubleshooting it became obvious that my speaker and mic both work perfectly, except when I activate speakrphone during a call, my mic goes mute. Any idea how to fix this? I've been hearing conflicting things about it being a software/hardware issue, but nothing concrete. Not a huge deal as I rarely use speakerphone, but still, I'd like to have the functionality. Thanks in advance!

archie03

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
I'm having this issue too. I noticed it happening first a couple betas into iOS 5. Any help/advice?

masonk88

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
iPhone 4s Microphone not working during speakerphone

I am having the same problem. I had a couple friends tell me they have had the same problem and also when tapping on the back of the phone near the camera there is a slight rattling sound. They went to the Apple Store and got a replacement phone. I am going to the Apple Store to see what they think it could be and probably get a new phone as well.

RRNYC

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
NYC
My wife's iPhone 4 stated doing this after the ios5 update. Hoping a fix is coming soon

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

RRNYC said:
My wife's iPhone 4 stated doing this after the ios5 update. Hoping a fix is coming soon

Ahhh! Hope that it is software and not hardware.

elbeejams

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
no sound on video either

Just played back some videos I've recorded and there's no sound. I'd already noticed the problem with the speakerphone but didn't think it was really a problem.

captndave

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
same problem

my mic seems to work fine for voice memos but not when u hit speakerphone any help yet.. anyone know if iOS 5.1 is a fix???

Shobloth

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
got the fix guys

ok so there's a tiny mic on top by the headphone jack, *nothing* can obstruct it or be close to it, i had to remove the sticker from my skin and widen the hole on my case, now its clear as a bell.

gl

Montreal911

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
Iphone 4 microphone not working when speaker is on

ok so there's a tiny mic on top by the headphone jack, *nothing* can obstruct it or be close to it, i had to remove the sticker from my skin and widen the hole on my case, now its clear as a bell.

gl
I tried what u suggested but it is not working for me !
I had my iPhone 4 front LCD screen replaced. After the replacement, speaker and microphone are working fine individually but when I make a call and turn on the speaker the person on the other end cannot hear me. They can hear me if I turn off the speaker and talk normally.
Also no sound is recorded when I record a video .
Can someone help me fixing this?

owlseye

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
Iphone 4S mic not working

I have been following the thread of comments because my new iphone 4s (white) presented the same problem others have experienced with the listener not being able to hear a phone call. I had speakerphone on during a call when this occurred, but turning the speakerphone on and off did not help. The iphone was 14 days old. Just enough time to pass so I couldn't return it to the service provider I purchased it from.

Reading other posts online, I realized that the soft reset I did had cleared up the issue - I was able to hear and so was the person on the other end of the call. MY issue is this: the problem will probably recur if this is a hardware problem. AppleCare said that only a couple of other people said they had this problem and the Applestore employee said they hadn't heard of the problem.

But...I took the phone to the AppleStore Genius Bar and was promptly provided with a new phone. It makes me a little suspicious that a faulty batch of iphones may have been released from a warehouse and Apple is quietly replacing them as they come in so as not to make the issue as big as the one they had with the "deathgrip antennae problem" of iphone 4. There are way too many people commenting on the faulty mic. I am only guessing but if the problem was with software, wouldn't Apple just release another OS to fix the bug?

Anyway, I am happy I have a new phone. Hopefully it works like a charm for longer than two weeks.

captndave

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
same prob

yeah I think hardware prob. I'm on my second replacement phone from square trade

----------

Just played back some videos I've recorded and there's no sound. I'd already noticed the problem with the speakerphone but didn't think it was really a problem.

sorry 4 double post but no audio on video cam either but works fine w voice memos

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This must be a fairly common problem. Not only have I see some members from here complaining about it, but my friend with a 4S has the same thing. I keep telling her to take it into Apple and get it replaced. I dont think it's software related.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
^^^+1 Definitely a hardware problem. My sound was pretty low, then I found out that the volume button + was stuck and recessed more than the - button. They took about 10 minutes to swap it out for a NIB iPhone 4S 64GB...:cool:

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Same problem here with my 4s on latest IOS.

I am restoring now. If this doesn't work, I see a trip to the Genius Bar in my future for a replacement phone...

Willier

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
My phone had a "skin" over the mic hole

Before my company gave me my new iPhone, they had a "skin" covering put on the phone. It is a very thin plastic covering to prevent scratches. Removing the skin from the top edge, next to the earphone jack, exposed the microphone hole and solved the problem. :)

The skin was provided and applied by TrickedOut Accessories. The advice above saved me a trip to the Apple Store.

taburere

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
Shobloth is right

gl

My wife noticed this problem on her iPhone 4 this afternoon. We cleaned out the tiny opening next to the headphone jack and then tested it -- I could hear her clear as a bell. We also confirm that, as hard as it may seem, that tiny opening is for the speakerphone microphone -- after we'd cleaned it out, she covered the opening with her finger and I was unable to hear her until she uncovered the opening.

bmaczko

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2012
mic not working for speaker phone or video

I had the same issue. I tested the Memo record and it worked. However on speaker phone, callers could not hear me and on video there wasn't any audio. The tiny hole next to the audio jack at the top of the phone needs to cleaned out. I used a staple to clean, gently. Sounds was like new.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
*try this before you go to Apple*

Hi, I can 100% confirm this is a hardware issue but not in the faulty sense, more of a maintenance issue!
The noise cancelling mic on the top (next to the audio jack) just needs cleaning out, probably due to too much hair products :cool:
The best way to do this is by cutting a nylon bristle from a cleaning brush and inserting it a few times in the very small hole at the top.
It may need a few goes but will eventually go in about 5mm.
The bristle is rigid enough to clear the blockage but soft enough not to damage the mic.
I tried compressed air first time round with a very small improvement, this bristle trick brought the mic back to life!
Worth a go before you head to the apple store.

Edit:
should of scrolled to the end of this thread before posting solution lol, at least i can confirm with the others lol :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.