Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEcuber17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Illinois, US
Bassically. Can you import a song from iTunes/mp3 into garageband?

Im just wondering if this is possible. I want to add a song as a track, then record things and add to it. I can always record the song playing, but it sounds like crap. Is this possible?

What about with a 3rd party app?

hyperDoc

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Can't do that w/ purchased songs

I can drag music from CD's I have purchased and get the little "+" sign , but music I have purchased from iTunes itself just jumps back into iTunes after dragging attempts onto GBand. Is this part of iTunes' copyright protection ?

:mad:
mad jew said:
I literally drag and drop the song from iTunes into Garageband. You can do it from Finder too. :)

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Always remember something I tell a lot of people regarding Mac OS X:

If you think you can do it, you probably can.

I actually got that off someone on here. It's very good advice... and very true. :)

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
p0intblank said:
Always remember something I tell a lot of people regarding Mac OS X:

If you think you can do it, you probably can.

I actually got that off someone on here. It's very good advice... and very true. :)

I've always done that, and its amazing how it seems to work most of the time

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
hyperDoc said:
I can drag music from CD's I have purchased and get the little "+" sign , but music I have purchased from iTunes itself just jumps back into iTunes after dragging attempts onto GBand. Is this part of iTunes' copyright protection ?

Yeah, I think that's a DRM thing. Otherwise, it'd be far too easy to strip the DRM. :(

dogbone said:
I thought that GarageBand only works with AIFF and that if you drag an mp3 in it converts it on the fly.

Yep, that sounds right. :)

GoodRiddancePC

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
Agh! This is so annoying

Ugh! Tonight, the same thing happened, only it happened with every song I tried (except one). Is there any way to fix this? I'm eternally frustrated!:confused:

:mad:

spaceface2012

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
Take my advice. Convert mp3 to aiff files before importing into garageband. Your ears will thank you. In itunes click itunes, preferences, general, import settings. set the encoder to aiff, close, then open itunes advanced menu, click create aiff version, done. You're welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.