Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I surely see the Galaxy Tab's 7.7" screen as an advantage: Super AMOLED Plus is really top notch.

I'd say: wait for the successor of the iPad 2 and wait for the successor of the Galaxy Tab 7.7: better hardware for the same price point.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
I think you should go out and get the 7.7.

People tend to learn best from first hand experience. Does it really matter what is said on a forum, especially one slanted towards Apple?

yup, I did learn on my own mistake which sent me back $400. could have bought iPad2 64GB 3G instead of the base product and android tablet crap.

kdh1966

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Funny that Android gives developers more ways to make great software, but their app store (for tablets) sucks compared to iOS, and many apps have scaling problems with these tablets.

Also, at this time there is no reason to believe that samsung will port ICS to older devices. Most of the devices they release run TouchWiz and devices like the Galaxy Tab 7.7 do not have enough RAM or ROM to both TouchWiz and ICS. And there's your most crucial flaw with android. Sure each update might get a better user experience, but how do you know your device will ever even get ONE update?

I don't understand why people make comments without having any basis for their claims. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 has not yet been released so to say it does not have enough ram to run TouchWiz makes absolutely no sense. TouchWiz was created by Samsung so I am sure the version for the Tab 7.7 will be optimized for that particular device.

Hey, have you tried running Windows 7 on an IBM AT? I think you will find that it does not work. With advancements in OS design, hardware requirements change. I think it is ludicrous to expect a just released mobile OS to work on hardware that is 4 years old. How well is iOS5 running on the original iPhone?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I don't understand why people make comments without having any basis for their claims. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 has not yet been released so to say it does not have enough ram to run TouchWiz makes absolutely no sense. TouchWiz was created by Samsung so I am sure the version for the Tab 7.7 will be optimized for that particular device.

Hey, have you tried running Windows 7 on an IBM AT? I think you will find that it does not work. With advancements in OS design, hardware requirements change. I think it is ludicrous to expect a just released mobile OS to work on hardware that is 4 years old. How well is iOS5 running on the original iPhone?
The basis for the claims is based on numerous articles posted about ice cream sandwich and how it's not going to be available on many samsung devices because the TouchWiz UI uses too many resources for those phones on top of stock android.

And even if it does get ICS... it's not going to be for 6-12 months, and by that time google will have released another version or two of android.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
yup, I did learn on my own mistake which sent me back $400. could have bought iPad2 64GB 3G instead of the base product and android tablet crap.

Sorry for that. But people need to learn firsthand how bad the android experience can be, before they realize how great iOS is.

Some people, like myself, will utilize Android for things like the Touchpad, bectause it will make the experience better, since webos is on life support. But I hold no illusions about what android is or isn't.

kdh1966

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
The basis for the claims is based on numerous articles posted about ice cream sandwich and how it's not going to be available on many samsung devices because the TouchWiz UI uses too many resources for those phones on top of stock android.

And even if it does get ICS... it's not going to be for 6-12 months, and by that time google will have released another version or two of android.

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/20...-android-4.0-ice-cream-sandwich-detailed.html

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina

The ONLY tablet that Samsung said will not get ICS is the original Galaxy Tab, and even that one is being reconsidered now due to public outcry. I think you are confusing The original Galaxy Tab and the NEWEST Galaxy ab 7.7 which in fact hasn't even been released in US and might get ICS at lunch, and based on hardware specs is a great device. There is definitely a market for tablets that size and I hope Apple gets a 7" tablet out, I know many people including myself that would get one in a second...

macbookair1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
iPad

iPad is ten million times better than any other tab, in the world never sell it. You should wait for the iPad three come out then get it!:apple::cool:

kaizenmx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2011
iPad is ten million times better than any other tab, in the world never sell it. You should wait for the iPad three come out then get it!:apple::cool:
It's always some dumb apple prick who comes to this type of threads with on going semi-intelligent discussions and then start spewing this kind of garbage.

:rolleyes:

hodedofome

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Having owned a galaxy tab 7.7 for a few weeks now (ordered from Hong Kong), perhaps I can chime in. Galaxy tab 7.7 vs ipad 2/3 all depends on what you value and consider important. There is no perfect tablet, so no matter what you choose you'll be gaining something and losing something else.

The 7.7 is smaller, lighter, and thinner than any other high end tablet out there. It also has a better screen than anything else out there. IMO even the iPad 3's screen will be inferior. I don't care what the resolution of the 3 is going to be, the contrast, color, size and power consumption of OLED displays are superior than any other technology currently in production. When OLED tv's come out in 2012, you'll be blown away. I am a home theater geek and have always been searching for a display with a 'perfect' image, and let me tell you OLED is amazing. To me everything else looks like crap compared to my 7.7. 12+ hour battery life (of continuous use) and an incredible picture is something you just have to experience for yourself. Not to mention it's light enough to read with 1 hand, similar to a Kindle. I read on this thing for extended periods of time so I appreciate the size of the 7.7.

Having said that, the performance of the software is crap. Not unusable, just annoying. The lag is there, something my Epic 4g Touch (I hate these long names) doesn't even experience. I am hoping the ICS upgrade in the next few/several months fixes this. iOS is way more polished on the iPad 2 compared to Honeycomb+Touchwhiz on the 7.7. The apps don't compare either, way better on iOS. I would expect that to change in the future with more and more Android tablets on the market, but I hate predictions, especially about the future.

All that to say, when the iPad 3 comes out I'll play with it and see which one I keep for good. Do I want amazing hardware, or amazing software? If the iPad 3 had an OLED display, I'd get it in a heartbeat. However I don't think there's any way they could acquire that many panels in a short period of time before launch. It's just too new for iPad-scale production.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I am really thinking to buy the galaxy tab 7.7 after selling my iPad 2 although I loved it pretty much! In favour of Tab:

- small & lightweight
- Super AMOLED Plus screen
- higher resolution
- higher specification
- HSPA+
- play flash content (I don't know if Flash is dying but it's really annoying when I can't access some sites and can't play some tv channels through IPTV)

What is pulling me out from buying the tab is that I read in some forums that android is not matured enough, sluggish browser and unexpected hangs. Is that true? How good is icecream sandwich than the previous honeycomb wrt iOS 5?

The bright side is that you won't have to wait long in line for it!!

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
Having owned a galaxy tab 7.7 for a few weeks now (ordered from Hong Kong), perhaps I can chime in. Galaxy tab 7.7 vs ipad 2/3 all depends on what you value and consider important. There is no perfect tablet, so no matter what you choose you'll be gaining something and losing something else.

The 7.7 is smaller, lighter, and thinner than any other high end tablet out there. It also has a better screen than anything else out there. IMO even the iPad 3's screen will be inferior. I don't care what the resolution of the 3 is going to be, the contrast, color, size and power consumption of OLED displays are superior than any other technology currently in production. When OLED tv's come out in 2012, you'll be blown away. I am a home theater geek and have always been searching for a display with a 'perfect' image, and let me tell you OLED is amazing. To me everything else looks like crap compared to my 7.7. 12+ hour battery life (of continuous use) and an incredible picture is something you just have to experience for yourself. Not to mention it's light enough to read with 1 hand, similar to a Kindle. I read on this thing for extended periods of time so I appreciate the size of the 7.7.

Having said that, the performance of the software is crap. Not unusable, just annoying. The lag is there, something my Epic 4g Touch (I hate these long names) doesn't even experience. I am hoping the ICS upgrade in the next few/several months fixes this. iOS is way more polished on the iPad 2 compared to Honeycomb+Touchwhiz on the 7.7. The apps don't compare either, way better on iOS. I would expect that to change in the future with more and more Android tablets on the market, but I hate predictions, especially about the future.

All that to say, when the iPad 3 comes out I'll play with it and see which one I keep for good. Do I want amazing hardware, or amazing software? If the iPad 3 had an OLED display, I'd get it in a heartbeat. However I don't think there's any way they could acquire that many panels in a short period of time before launch. It's just too new for iPad-scale production.

Thanks for the review, I think I'll be getting the 7.7 as soon as it hits the States, unless the 8" iPad rumors are true. I understand what you are saying about the Super AMOLED screens, but to be honest, my coworker's Galaxy S doesn't look any better than my iPhone 4 to my eye. Not that I have done any extensive comparison, but just playing with the two phones side by side, each seems to have a great but comparable screen.

I agree about the software though - I am yet to see an Android tablet that is anywhere near as smooth as my iPad 2. I've even played with the new Asus Transformer Prime with its quad core CPU and ICS installed, and it's still not there as far as user interaction smoothness. I do like the idea of widgets though - for example have a calendar widget and gmail widget on a screen so you can see at a glance what takes too many clicks on the iPad, etc.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
[I understand what you are saying about the Super AMOLED screens, but to be honest, my coworker's Galaxy S doesn't look any better than my iPhone 4 to my eye. Not that I have done any extensive comparison, but just playing with the two phones side by side, each seems to have a great but comparable screen.

The only way you wouldn't notice a difference is if the brightness on the Galaxy S is turned down (or you are looking at images that don't have any color). My roommate has an iPhone 4, and while there is nothing wrong with that display.... it looks washed out and dim when compared directly to my Vibrant (a Galaxy S phone).

The new AMOLEDs on the Galaxy S2 and new Tabs are a later generation than the ones the Galaxy S use, from what I have heard.

I agree about the software though - I am yet to see an Android tablet that is anywhere near as smooth as my iPad 2. I've even played with the new Asus Transformer Prime with its quad core CPU and ICS installed, and it's still not there as far as user interaction smoothness.
For web browsing, many of the higher end tablets browse just as smoothly as the iPad 2, but I will agree that Apple has done the most homework in terms of making web browsing and navigation a top priority when crafting the user experience.

iPad 2 was easily the best 10" tablet of its generation, but its time seems to be coming to a close. It is a matter of preference, but there are a substantial number of consumers that put capability of the device above how pretty a menu looks when they access it.

Different strokes for different folks.

I do like the idea of widgets though - for example have a calendar widget and gmail widget on a screen so you can see at a glance what takes too many clicks on the iPad, etc.

I am really surprised that Apple hasn't copied this feature yet. Won't be long, IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.