Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

IDGI... Why are there "missing" apps from the iPad? Why no Weather, Calculator, etc?

Even Mac OS X comes with a calculator...

Reactions: GreginNJ

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Would think it has something to do with their rule about not having apps that are the same as what comes with the OS. I think it is part of why you download iBooks separate.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Apple gets 30% of the price of any app downloaded from the AppStore. Why would they spend the time to develop, maintain, and support an app when they can get 30% of the revenue at literally no cost?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Apple gets 30% of the price of any app downloaded from the AppStore. Why would they spend the time to develop, maintain, and support an app when they can get 30% of the revenue at literally no cost?
Because they give free weather and calculator apps on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

IDGI... Why are there "missing" apps from the iPad? Why no Weather, Calculator, etc?

Apple has never commented. However, Gruber did mention something about it when the iPad was introduced:

"It's not that Apple couldn't just create bigger versions of these apps and have them run on the iPad. It wasn't a technical problem, it was a design problem. There were, internally to Apple (of course), versions of these apps (or least some of them) with upscaled iPad-sized graphics, but otherwise the same UI and layout as the iPhone versions. Ends up that just blowing up iPhone apps to fill the iPad screen looks and feels weird, even if you use higher-resolution graphics so that nothing looks pixelated. So they were scrapped by you-know-who. Perhaps they'll appear on the iPad in some re-imagined form this summer with OS 4.0, but when the iPad ships next month, there won't be versions of these apps. At least that's the story I've heard from a few well-informed little birdies."

http://daringfireball.net/2010/03/iphone_apps_on_the_ipad

So, Steve Jobs didn't like the blown-up "widget" apps.

Apple will eventually do something about the lack of Stocks and Weather apps since they are now a feature of iOS 5's notification center.

Would think it has something to do with their rule about not having apps that are the same as what comes with the OS. I think it is part of why you download iBooks separate.

The apps in question are part of iOS. They ship with iOS and are not updated outside of iOS.

The primary reason the iBooks.app wasn't included in iOS (like Weather, Stocks, etc) was because it could be updated faster outside the OS.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008

jaw04005 said:

Apple has never commented. However, Gruber did mention something about it when the iPad was introduced:

"It's not that Apple couldn't just create bigger versions of these apps and have them run on the iPad. It wasn't a technical problem, it was a design problem. There were, internally to Apple (of course), versions of these apps (or least some of them) with upscaled iPad-sized graphics, but otherwise the same UI and layout as the iPhone versions. Ends up that just blowing up iPhone apps to fill the iPad screen looks and feels weird, even if you use higher-resolution graphics so that nothing looks pixelated. So they were scrapped by you-know-who. Perhaps they'll appear on the iPad in some re-imagined form this summer with OS 4.0, but when the iPad ships next month, there won't be versions of these apps. At least that's the story I've heard from a few well-informed little birdies."

http://daringfireball.net/2010/03/iphone_apps_on_the_ipad

So, Steve Jobs didn't like the blown-up "widget" apps.

Apple will eventually do something about the lack of Stocks and Weather apps since they are now a feature of iOS 5's notification center.

The apps in question are part of iOS. They ship with iOS and are not updated outside of iOS.

The primary reason the iBooks.app wasn't included in iOS (like Weather, Stocks, etc) was because it could be updated faster outside the OS.

VERY interesting! But why not include the Stocks and Weather widgets in the Notification Center on iPad? Or maybe they're working on that for 5.1? Hmm

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I know my iPad's notification center looks quite barren compared to iPhone. It is a weird inconsistency that I would have thought Apple would have addressed.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'd like to see the weather (and why not stocks) be a Notification Center -Only "app" if need be. Sometimes I want to see the weather forecast when on my iPad...realize the notification "widget" isn't there and look for my iPhone to see it.
Sure, I could go online or download another app, but a simple pull down is much easier.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
I am lost, why would we have to worry about no weather or clock apps directly from Apple when you first get the Ipad since you can just sign into appstore and get them for free?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I am lost, why would we have to worry about no weather or clock apps directly from Apple when you first get the Ipad since you can just sign into appstore and get them for free?

I dont think this is a matter of worry. More a thing its fun to discuss, because it doesnt have a clear first answer.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I love having my weather and stock apps in the notification center on my iPhone. I check them both regularly and I like not having to open an app to do it. I have gotten some good weather apps on my iPad to replace the one that comes with iPhone. Still haven't found a stock app I love yet. The Bloomberg one is way to busy for me--I just want a list of the stocks I'm watching and what they're doing today (see the iPhone stock app).

All that being said, my iPad is wifi only and spends a lot of the day not connected. But it would be nice to have that stuff for when I am in a hotspot.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that accounting rules governing revenue recognition are somehow involved as well. This is why they had to charge a nominal fee for iPod Touch iOS upgrades in the past.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
And how often do you view your iPhone in landscape versus the iPad?
1/3 of the time on my iPhone and about 50/50 on my iPad. Why would that matter in relation to the iPad not having native calculator and weather apps while the iPhone and iPod Touch do?

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
You can find weather apps everywhere for free...but I have yet to find a clock app that works as well as the apple one on the iPhone. I just can't trust the downloaded ones to wake me up.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, you could get 3rd party apps for weather, stocks, etc. but do any of them integrate into notification center? I still don't get why there's no voice memo, calculator, and other iPhone standard apps on the iPad.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
Free without annoying ads? The calculator apps I've seen are free but all having annoying, distracting ads. :(

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008

Is there a way to transfer the apps over from an iPhone via SSH after a jailbreak? I would port weather in notification center and the clock app.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
What are your favorite weather apps? I am looking for one to replace the Weather channel app. It's good but I wouldn't mind something else, paid or not. Let me know guys. Ideally with international cities support.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Weather in iPad's Notifications

Yeah, you could get 3rd party apps for weather, stocks, etc. but do any of them integrate into notification center?

Well there is some kind of a workaround. There is an app that subscribes you to one or more weather calendars. It's called WeatherCals.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id438449201?mt=8

So if acivated it will show you the weather in notifications as calendar entries—when you tap on it it will open calendar and give some more details about the weather in your region. I've got the app when it was free and it works pretty well. It looks like this on iPad 2:

weathercalsipad2ios5.png

Sorry the screenshot is German. Wolkenlos means no clouds. The app itself is English as well of course. And there should be a free lite version.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
You can find weather apps everywhere for free...but I have yet to find a clock app that works as well as the apple one on the iPhone. I just can't trust the downloaded ones to wake me up.

THIS! I am amazed that the clock app from the iPod touch is not included in the iPad and can't be added later through iTunes or app store. The biggest thing I miss is the sleep timer. Is there a reliable 3rd party timer app that consistently runs in the background without being active?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
What are your favorite weather apps? I am looking for one to replace the Weather channel app. It's good but I wouldn't mind something else, paid or not. Let me know guys. Ideally with international cities support.

Weatherbug has a much nicer UI, especially as it is faster. I have heard it has a checkered past in Windows circles, hopefully the App Store did a good job vetting it.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
Weatherbug has a much nicer UI, especially as it is faster. I have heard it has a checkered past in Windows circles, hopefully the App Store did a good job vetting it.
I will try it as soon as I get home. For what I can see it's not highly reviewed but will try it anyways. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.