Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
OK its been mentioned before, I love the video quality and simplicity of use of Handbrake but where has the volume gone?!

I'm ripping my Soprano videos to my iPad for my daily commute on the train and even with the volume to the max its a stuggle to hear with my BT headphones on, sitting at my desk at work this morning I am relying on the volume from the iPad itself without using a headset and its just waaaaay too low. It's really not good enough.

So what decent alternative is there out there, (happy to pay for a commercial piece of software) where you can increase the volume during the conversion process?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
That doesnt really fix the volume issue thou it just raises the level of the quiet areas. They need to get some type of normalization goin on, this has been an issue forever.

sr55

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
The issue with low audio from DTS source to Encoded track was also fixed a few months back.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Gain control now implemented as of
https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4000 in the HandBrake MacGui ...

From my tests a gain setting of +15db is about as high as you'd want to go, it will break up on super loud segments. my guess is for normal use probably a range of +5 to +10 will be more than enough.

And yes, its about time.

Should be available on the next nightly.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
it is still very low volume on the appletv
Um,did you actually download a new nightly of handbrake that has the gain control implemented? I can boost aac volume so high that it distorts.

Realize of course it does *nothing* to the ac3 passthru track as its just what it says ... passed thru.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
it is still very low volume on the appletv

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life.

I'm using handbrake to rip some of my DVDs so I can watch them through my 2nd generation AppleTV. When doing so I noticed that the volume levels were fine when watched through iTunes on my Mac, but very, very low when streamed through Apple TV.

I switched to the Handbrake nightly build and ripped the same DVD with and without added gain (+10).

What I've found is that the added gain does make a difference when playing the movie in iTunes (but like I said it was fine on my mac anyway), but for some reason when streaming to my TV through AppleTV, it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

I'm not sure why this is and I'm wondering if it's AppleTV and not how Handbrake processes the file (not that I'm any expert on video encoding).

Anyone else witnessed the same result with AppleTV (2nd gen) found a way to get acceptable sound levels?

Cheers

Chris

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life.

I'm using handbrake to rip some of my DVDs so I can watch them through my 2nd generation AppleTV. When doing so I noticed that the volume levels were fine when watched through iTunes on my Mac, but very, very low when streamed through Apple TV.

I switched to the Handbrake nightly build and ripped the same DVD with and without added gain (+10).

What I've found is that the added gain does make a difference when playing the movie in iTunes (but like I said it was fine on my mac anyway), but for some reason when streaming to my TV through AppleTV, it doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

I'm not sure why this is and I'm wondering if it's AppleTV and not how Handbrake processes the file (not that I'm any expert on video encoding).

Anyone else witnessed the same result with AppleTV (2nd gen) found a way to get acceptable sound levels?

Cheers

Chris

What is your output HDMI or optical? What is your setup? I think the boost/gain level is only in the AAC file not the original 5.1 Dolby digital.

Give use a more detailed description of your setup and maybe we can help.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
What is your output HDMI or optical? What is your setup? I think the boost/gain level is only in the AAC file not the original 5.1 Dolby digital.

Give use a more detailed description of your setup and maybe we can help.

Thanks for responding.

I connect AppleTV to my set using a HDMI cable, and I'm using a wireless network (not that it should make a difference). I encode using the AppleTV preset in Handbrake.

Cheers

Chris

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Have you tried selecting the files in iTunes and then "get info"? You can increase the volume output there. When iTunes imports it puts the file volume right in the middle. If you push it up higher here it will be higher when it plays at the same volume setting on the TV or amp. You can select all of your movie files at once and do get info and change them all.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I think the boost/gain level is only in the AAC file not the original 5.1 Dolby digital.

Correct, Gain is only applied to encoded audio tracks. Since the AC3 track from a dvd is pass thru, its gets ... passed thru, unmodified.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
Have you tried selecting the files in iTunes and then "get info"? You can increase the volume output there. When iTunes imports it puts the file volume right in the middle. If you push it up higher here it will be higher when it plays at the same volume setting on the TV or amp. You can select all of your movie files at once and do get info and change them all.

I think I tried that, but I'll look at it again as I'm not 100% sure.

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI

I do this AND I also go into the Equalizer window and add volume there.

I select "Vocal Booster" from the drop down menu.
Adjust the preamp slider to raise the volume.
Save the preset as "video watching" or something like that.

Screen Shot 2012-01-04 at 11.11.35 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.