Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
New York
So, I'm looking for a long and wide desk UNFORTUNATELY, ikea is out of the question. No location near me and to ship a Galant (the desk i VERY much wanted) will cost over 350+.. the desk is priced at 160. So, i'm not paying 510 for a Galant.. my budget is really around 300 or so and I'm looking for something simple and sturdy.

I need to hold my 27" iMac, my MBA and my iPad/iPhone as well as having ample space for working on.

Any suggestions? Wanted a Galant for Xmas but it was just too expensive to ship.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"so, I'm looking for a long and wide desk UNFORTUNATELY, ikea is out of the question"

If you want "function" over "form" and style, have you considered a large "conference table", the kind with folding legs?

These can be found at good prices in office-supply stores.

The one I'm using measures 30x72". They may even come in larger sizes.

Not the ultimate fashion design, but VERY functional with a broad, flat "table top"...

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
"so, I'm looking for a long and wide desk UNFORTUNATELY, ikea is out of the question"

If you want "function" over "form" and style, have you considered a large "conference table", the kind with folding legs?

These can be found at good prices in office-supply stores.

The one I'm using measures 30x72". They may even come in larger sizes.

Not the ultimate fashion design, but VERY functional with a broad, flat "table top"...

This is what I have. 27" imac, big bookshelf speakers, wacom tablet, etc, with room to spare for $50. Doesn't look great, but not bad either.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was eyeballing this desk earlier today at Ethan Allen. I may decide to procure it next month. It's simple, elegant and minimalistic. I think it will compliment iMac quite well.

Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 6.37.27 PM.png

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
There are probably a number of local woodworkers in your area who will build a desk to your specifications. It will cost more, but it will be a lot sturdier and be unique to your needs. Nothing like handcrafted beauty!

jertronic

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
Earlier I stated that a craig's list search turned up a good deal. Well, after trolling for another day I found the same desk for $20! instead of $70.

The family was moving on that day literally. The moving trucks were parked out front when I drove over to the next town to pick it up.

$20 -

The iMac looks sweet on this thing.

We already had the 2 of the matching book cases. This is versatile and simple. After getting my new CyberPower 1000 yesterday I can say that my setup is nearly complete.

Attachments

• SloaneLeaningDeskAVS7.jpeg
    SloaneLeaningDeskAVS7.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 41EYB5rqpfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41EYB5rqpfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • SloaneLeaningDeskN2BkcsS7.jpeg
    SloaneLeaningDeskN2BkcsS7.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 56

Axegrinder

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Preston
Having received my refurb iMac today, I thought it was good opportunity to tidy up and take a photo and, at the same time, show my setup as far as desks go. I had the same dilema in 2006 when I bought my first iMac. Not being able to find anything suitable I decided to build my own. I went to a local diy superstore in the uk - B&Q - and bought two Kitchen wall cabinets, one with drawers, one without and laid a piece of formica across them:

desk.jpg

The cabinet on the left has a shelf at the top on which I have my external drives, and the space below houses a tower plug extension which all devices are plugged in to. The wires could do with a tidy up and I'm going to replace the formica with a proper wood kitchen worktop in the near future so it will look a little better but other than that I still think it's the best and simplest solution I've seen, and of course it's totally customizable because of the large choice of doors and drawers available for kitchens! :)

louis.frankland

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
London, UK
Wow - $350 for delivery?!? Thats crazy! Are there those "Van 'n' Man" services around where you hire a van and the guy to pick it up for you? Its what I had to do (admittedly in the UK)

I had the same issue about 3 months back as I have a lot of screens and needed the desk space and the support for the weight of them (no nice glass ones would support the weight)

You could always get a boring ish desk and sort out some underlighting for it... makes any plain old desk look stunning!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ne0hack3r/6180989213/in/set-72157628624665515
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ne0hack3r/6595969909/in/set-72157628624665515/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ne0hack3r/6595969023/in/set-72157628624665515/

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
I concur with the concept of finding a Galant on Craigslist. I for one have found a full black-brown Galant (2 of the same table tops mind you...one for replacement if need be) for under $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.