Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I apologize for raining on your parade, but somebody needs to tell you that Android 4 already has face recognition for authentication built in. It's just ANOTHER feature that Apple "borrows" from Android.

Apple's patent was filed in June, 2010. Android 4 was announced Oct. 19, 2011.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
This is a fantastic idea. When my kid picks up an iPad, his setup will be different than mine. Only his games, etc.

Shabach!

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
There's An App For That!

I apologize for raining on your parade, but somebody needs to tell you that Android 4 already has face recognition for authentication built in. It's just ANOTHER feature that Apple "borrows" from Android.

Well....There is actually an app for facial recognition in the Nokia Store and has been available for several months for my N8 and other Symbian devices, so the facial recognition aspect of unlocking a device is nothing new, as Android may have you believe.

Just because other manufacturers want to build this functionality into the OS is really just a natural evolution; and it seems that Apple's implementation goes far beyond the basic implementation that is on ICS.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
What some of you fail to realize is that the use of this feature is to allow multiple user accounts on the device that are recognized solely by facial recognition.

This is taking what many claim that Android had "first" and using it in a more practical sense than a tech demo.

I'm not interested in the iOS vs. Android debate - but it's quite obvious to me that this isn't in iOS because it wasn't ready, for reasons unknown. For all anyone knows, Apple may have known the picture unlock was a flaw and didn't put it into production. Google on the other hand claimed it wasn't a flaw and did put it into production.

Either way, I'm sure they're aware of the flaw in Android's implementation and would make sure this isn't a possible workaround.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
And then, if the iPad has been stolen, it would then shoot the perpetraitors face to police databases, making arrests a lot easier.

Or maybe everybody's facial files will be logged in at the CIA's database. Heck, this could take over the population census system. ha ha

;););););););););););):cool:

Artey

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
iPad really needs multiple user support, with or without this facial recognition feature. I don't really need it on my iPhone, that's a more personal device anyway.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well....There is actually an app for facial recognition in the Nokia Store and has been available for several months for my N8 and other Symbian devices, so the facial recognition aspect of unlocking a device is nothing new, as Android may have you believe.

Yes, and it has been one of the ways of login on Linux boxes since long time ago. Face recognition is not a new tech.

What I would like is multiple profiles, like they're on Chrome browser would be a good thing

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Multiple user support is a must.

Face recognition, if done right, seems like a good way to enable fast user switching. But it's far less important than multiple user support.

But this would be great for many things - handing your iPad to someone else could automatically lock them out of your address book or other business sensitive areas. And being able to give an iOS device to my wife for her to check Facebook without my getting the device back to find it's signed into the wrong account would be a godsend.

Phazer

kdarling

macrumors P6
Multi-user is NOT what this patent appication is about

I actually may have thought of this before Apple. Why didn't I patent it!

Probably because everyone on the planet has thought of using facial recognition for multi-user login, and/or has already done it before.

Which is why this patent is NOT about multi-user :) ... it's just given as an example use.

THIS PATENT APPLICATION IS ABOUT USING ORANGE SKIN TONES TO HELP WITH A LOW POWER RECOGNITION SYSTEM.

(Along with optionally checking eye and mouth positions and trying to reject photos.)

Hmm. I wonder if the orange range might present a problem:

Remember a couple of years ago when HP's WebCam tracking software totally failed to "see" dark skinned people in front of it? Ooops! Big PR mistake.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

First of all, Apple never even used this method of unlocking a phone yet.
And second, why would they even "borrow" the idea when it's a security threat (holding up the picture of someone).

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
First of all, Apple never even used this method of unlocking a phone yet.
And second, why would they even "borrow" the idea when it's a security threat (holding up the picture of someone).

All they have to do is require the person to blink once to unlock it, that would close the "photo" loophole!

And what does it matter if a picture can unlock it? If someone trying to unlock it has a picture of you -- chances are high that said person is a friend, not a foe. If you really want to secure your phone, this is obviously not the method you'd use, but for just keeping strangers out of a phone, it's a really useful tool.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I don't get it though. Won't a simple camera always be tricked by a photograph of the user? And what if you're sharing an iPad, I mean, you are busy with it, your kid comes along, you give it to your kid, you leave? Does it stay on your account or does it suddenly after x minutes change to the kids' account? Or perhaps it is solely when you unlock the device. Nevertheless, don't see how it can get better than only being fooled by a picture.

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
'Eyeprint' biometrics far more reliable...

From what I understand, 'eyeprint' recognition is the most reliable and difficult to 'forge'. IE, I wonder if Apple will skip using a regular light camera and include an infra red one - although I think lasers are used for eyeprints.

Correct me if I'm wrong! (Too lazy to use Google, it's been a long day!)

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Back when the iPad was still just a rumor, the Wall Street Journal reported that one of the features that Apple had been working on with their upcoming tablet was the ability to recognize users by face.The effort was part of Apple's efforts to make their new tablet a multi-user device. Facial recognition, however, never made it into the iPad, but a newly published patent application gives us insight into this feature that didn't make it into the shipping product.

Screenshot via PatentlyApple
AppleInsider notes that the new patent application offers a way for multiple users to share a device:The face detection system reportedly could be a low-power system that is always active, allowing face detection to be the primary method to unlock your iOS device. Apple's patent was filed in June, 2010, soon after the first iPad was introduced.

Face recognition as a security measure, however, has some possible flaws. Google's Android recently introduced a Face Unlock feature as well, but reports have suggested it can be fooled by a photograph of the user.

Article Link: Apple's Multi-User Face Recognition Plans for iPad Revealed in Patent

daverobeson

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2011
Apple had better make this compatible with the original iPad or I will stomp my feet and say mean things.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I don't see how this can be done. Like the article says... any system could be fooled by a photo.

Why not just recognize your thumb print? You have to swipe the slider anyway.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I've always thought that the first tablet maker to implement multiple family users, will have a popular device.

Probably the makers see it the other way though: they think they'll sell fewer tablets if a single one can be shared.

--

In any case, this patent is about low power recognition startup, not about security:

The idea is that the camera is watching for approaching skin tones that then stand still in front of it. This would indicate someone coming up and facing the unit as if they wish to use it. Then the device would try to use more common face marker methods to recognize the person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.