Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan S

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
California
I'm really happy with my Apple TV and use it a lot. I have a DVD of Star Trek Next Gen episodes that I'd like to watch on my TV (without a DVD player) and would like to (a) find a way to AirPlay it from my iMac computer to the Apple TV, or (b) rip the episodes from the DVD and put in my iTunes library.

Suggestions on either is appreciated. The "DVD Player" application on my Snow Leopard iMac doesn't seem to have AirPlay.

Alan S

keith4594

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
or you could download a free application from Erica Sadun called airflick where you drag the movie file into the app and it streams it to the tav

andy1971

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Air Play

If you have an iPhone or iPad you can play it using the App AirVideo from the app store.

Install the Air Video Server onto your iMac and then add your DVD drive to the available folders to view your media.

Once you have done this open up AirVideo on your iPhone or iPad and select airplay and convert. This sends it to your apple tv and converts the file whilst you are watching it.

You can watch lots of different files using this method.

Best App I have everbought... well this and Splashtop :D

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
It is sorta weird that Apple doesn't include AirPlay in its own software that would clearly benefit from the feature. That said, it is easy enough to rip DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.