Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
I'm working on an app for submission to the Mac App Store and as I'm approaching the final stages I need a good icon designer - where do indies usually go for icon designs?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I've heard really good things about Icon Factory. Never used them myself though.

I used them once about 7 years ago. Expensive, but good.

I used to have a large number of designers bookmarked, but now you're probably just better off googling for a designer and check out their portfolio.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
I had this same question. I have find things on the web that are free but the main problem that I am finding is that I may find an icon of a phone but when I find an icon of a email that I like it is different then the phone. The app starts to look like it was pieced together instead of having a consistent look and feel.

I thought I would first finish my app and then decided what I needed to do to give it a consistent look. by hiring a designer to create my custom items I need.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
I can't seem to find decent designers using Google thanks to the amount of junk content - can anyone recommend a place to look for designers or any designers directly?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You could look here. Find someone who's work you like and then see if they have a home page and are looking for work.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
use dribbble.com. generally the best of the best designers have an account there

PrismaticRealms

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
Whitby, ON, Canada
I actually just discovered odesk.com today and am pretty excited about looking through the talent there. I've seen a few very talented individuals on there and it seems like you can get them to work for you at a bargain. Plus, you have access to people from all over the world so there is plenty to choose from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.