Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funnyatleast

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
I am still confused as to why you couldnt' report the phone as stolen to the carrier if you have the IMEI and get it blocked.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I had a chargeback only last month, with something I had sold (not an iPhone). An "unauthorized charge" dispute was initiated by the buyer outside of PayPal nearly three months after the sale in September. I promptly complied with PayPal's request and contacted a customer rep. The issue was handled very professionally as they conducted their investigation, and everything was resolved in around a couple weeks or less.

I trust in PayPal and I still do plenty of business on eBay; I've heard horror stories of bad transactions from other people in the past, and I'm know every transaction is unique, but I believe eBay is trying very hard to make business on their site as less worrisome as humanly possible.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
In the end if you follow all the rules and PayPal told you that it was "OK to Ship" they will make good and get rid of the charge on your account.

You are not out any money but only have a negative amount on your PayPal account.

If you do what they ask and followed the rules you will be found in the right! Hate eBay for what it is but if you do like the rules say, you will be just fine.

SplicedBanjo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011

I tried to access this site and I got a "high-risk malware" warning from Firefox.

However, I agree that eBay and PayPal have become a total scam. They were a good idea until somewhere around 2008, but starting around the time of the feedback revamp, it has gotten where frankly I think you would have to be a fool to continue using it. Even if you've gotten lucky with them so far, that doesn't mean your luck will continue.

There have been several posts here saying, "If you can prove it was delivered, you win." Sadly, this is not necessarily true. The credit card holder isn't saying "I never received it," he/she is saying, "I never ordered it." Although it's possible it was really a stolen credit card, it is more likely that this is just the same old buyer scam of trying to get something for free and quite possibly succeeding.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers anymore, so all buyers have great feedback. The only solution is simply not to use eBay. Amazon has a new trade-in program that looks promising, or you could also use a site like Gazelle. You won't get top dollar from Gazelle, but you'll get more than the $0 you may get from eBay.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I thought of this that he bought it with a stolen credit card, however the paypal chargeback specifically says the buyer issued the claim. So if it was a stolen credit card it wouldn't be the buyer filing the claim. It just doesn't add up.

It could be from a hacked account.

Regardless - if you followed all the rules - shipped to a confirmed address, shipped with signature delivery you should be fine and the charge will be reversed.

Did you ship to a confirmed address? Did you ship with signature confirmation (required for high dollar amounts)?

I had a seller attempt to do something similar (reverse the charge and didn't give a reason), but once they confirmed that I had shipped to them with delivery conformation and shipped to a confirmed address (meaning belonging to the pay pal account holder), they decided in my favor.

They do remove the funds from your account during the process - as sort of a escrow.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Did anybody realize this thread is from September.. Of LAST YEAR? OP probably had this solved.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I have been told by PayPal several times that if you ship something that expensive, that you MUST get signature confirmation or they will not cover you. I know it says they will if you ship to a verified address and if you ship with shipping confirmation, but they will not protect you on that alone.

Now anytime I sell something that expensive I take several photos of my phone and serial number, the phone in the box with the address showing etc., then I make sure I have signature confirmation. If you do all this, PayPal will still not release your 700 at first when you get paid unless you have over a 100 positive feedback. What they do is hold the money for about a week to make sure you the seller are not trying to scam the buyer. Crazy huh :)? Anyway, once they release the money, you should be good, but if something goes wrong and you shipped it the way I suggested, PayPal will investigate, but they will give you your money back.

Now I never had someone say they had their CC stolen and doing a charge back so I don't know what they would do in that case, but at the same time, if he signed for his package well then... I would say, PayPal should cover you.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have been told by PayPal several times that if you ship something that expensive, that you MUST get signature confirmation or they will not cover you. I know it says they will if you ship to a verified address and if you ship with shipping confirmation, but they will not protect you on that alone.

Now anytime I sell something that expensive I take several photos of my phone and serial number, the phone in the box with the address showing etc., then I make sure I have signature confirmation. If you do all this, PayPal will still not release your 700 at first when you get paid unless you have over a 100 positive feedback. What they do is hold the money for about a week to make sure you the seller are not trying to scam the buyer. Crazy huh :)? Anyway, once they release the money, you should be good, but if something goes wrong and you shipped it the way I suggested, PayPal will investigate, but they will give you your money back.

Now I never had someone say they had their CC stolen and doing a charge back so I don't know what they would do in that case, but at the same time, if he signed for his package well then... I would say, PayPal should cover you.

Do you know how expensive Paypal considers "that expensive?" I ask because I sell on ebay as well, so I'd like to know for future reference.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I just scanned all documentation (USPS mailing receipt, stamped insurance tag) and uploaded it to the paypal claim. I also included a PDF of the USPS online tracking and signature confirmation. I guess I just have to wait...I will call paypal too to confirm everything.

If you dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's properly per PayPal's instructions, you should be OK. Signature confirmation, shipped to confirmed address, etc.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
something happened with me and I lost a iPhone 3gs 32gb white about 1.5 years ago.

YOu can't do anything...>Paypal has also blocked my id and now I use AMAZOn....**** PAYPAL AND EBAY

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
What really sucks is that people get away with that all the time.And once he does a chargeback with his credit card paypal is out of the money and they automaticly try to get it off you.
Even though you received positive feedback, got the tracking entered on ebays and paypals system etc...
They dont even communicate to try to get your side of the story before they do a chargeback.
Let us know how it plays OP.
Hope it works out in the end.

100% correct - Unfortuneately you are screwed, but you learned a valuable lesson -

Sell your high priced devices via Craigs list (locally), meet at a public restaraunt, and exchange your device for
cold hard cash - You got scammed dude, and it will most likely not be worth all the time and energy to try and get back your "almost" $700 bucks - sorry

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Is there a time limit on how long peopl can issue these charge backs?

I've sold some pretty high value stuff on eBay but not for well over a year...pretty scary!

I would see if the small claims court could do anything about it if the banks/PayPal ruled in the buyers favour.

PayPal should be accountable for card fraud, not the seller. There's absolutely no way we could know if the card used is stolen as we don't have access to that information.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Is there a time limit on how long peopl can issue these charge backs?

I've sold some pretty high value stuff on eBay but not for well over a year...pretty scary!

I would see if the small claims court could do anything about it if the banks/PayPal ruled in the buyers favour.

PayPal should be accountable for card fraud, not the seller. There's absolutely no way we could know if the card used is stolen as we don't have access to that information.

U should be fine. Its issuer dependent but usually between 45 and 90 days

iTunes-Luv

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
USA
As a used-to-be eBay seller (powerseller), the key thing is for over $250 merchandise, you have to ship to a confirmed address (to have seller protection) and buy insurance (in case the package broken). Signature delivery does not play an important part here.

So OP should get back the money if he did not ship to an unconfirmed address but it will take a while. Dealing with Paypal is never easy

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I will never sell expensive merch on eBay or use Paypal for accepting payments. Period. There's just too much liability with scammers. I sell via Craigslist and always meet inside of a McDonalds or parked right in front of a busy gas station. If the buyer can't agree to that then I don't bother.

SplicedBanjo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011

See that's the problem. Yes, you can probably win in small claims court - BUT in order to file and adjudicate the case, you have to travel to the other party's state. Just doing that alone will probably cost more in airfare than the amount of the transaction, and your travel expenses are not compensable in court.

But it's even worse than that - just winning in small claims court doesn't mean you actually get the money. You will probably have to spend months, maybe years (occasionally decades) pursuing them until you are finally able to garnish their wages or otherwise force the transfer. In many cases, they can also just file bankruptcy and then you're out of luck.

You will probably win in small claims court if you go that route - and it will probably double the amount of money you lost. It's a travesty but it's true.

I know the original thread is very old, but PayPal is still terrible. I recently bought a product for $80 and the company sent me the wrong product, so they agreed to do an exchange for me. I sent it back, and they kept the product and never sent the replacement. They literally took my $80 and left me with nothing. PayPal was no help then either.

You would probably be better off giving your product to charity than selling it on eBay. At least you're giving it away to an honest and deserving person (hopefully) instead of giving it away to a thief.

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
It's stuff like this that makes me glad that my Paypal account got banned. Switched to using Craigslist/Amazon and it's worked wonders. Seriously, Ebay/Paypal is just one of the worst options for selling now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.