Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I may well pick one up on import at some time in the future, and deal with the hassle of moving my account over - I'll see how I get on with 16GB to start with I think. My aim is to mainly buy retail games, as they appear to load faster!

As for UK and 3G? If it's anything like the iPad (which it will be) you'll be looking at £15/mo for 3GB of data. I'm using o2's iPhone tethering which is costing far less.W

Uncharted and Wipeout are good buys, and Stardust on PSN.

OMG not Wipeout, I had wipeout Pure on PSP and was awful at it. Kept just bouncing off the sides of the track...

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Uncharted is fantastic. I haven't played Wipeout yet but I know they've made it a little more casual friendly (wider tracks, tighter controls), so that could go either way with long-term fans.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Omg not Wipeout, I had wipeout Pure on PSP and was awful at it. Kept just bouncing off the sides of the track...

Uncharted is fantastic. I haven't played Wipeout yet but I know they've made it a little more casual friendly (wider tracks, tighter controls), so that could go either way with long-term fans.

The original Wipeouts were harder due to digital only controls, introduction of analogue made control a bit better. That said, it's still damn hard! I'm reasonable on the PS3 versions...

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Uncharted GA is awesome, absolutely cannot wait, mod nation could be good too.
Thing I am most looking forward too apart from games is what developers are going to do with remote play. It potentially could be the best thing to happen to the vita

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Although I like the Wipeout games I've always been frustrated by them and will probably hold off on buying it for the Vita especially as there are enough other good games I want at launch. Uncharted is a must buy. The other games I'm looking at getting are Escape Plan, Gravity Rush, and Modnation Racers. Other possibilities are Rayman Origins (although I have that for the PS3), Little Deviants, Hot Shots Golf, Lumines and Virtua Tennis.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Payed off my preorder today.

Probably going to get the starter kit + Hot shots golf. Maybe Modnation/Resistance.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I dug deeper into the 3G connectivity in the UK and came across the following article which outlines that Vodafone will be the preferred partner in certain territories including the UK, Australia and New Zealand but users won't be limited to it as their 3G carrier. It also goes on to say anyone choosing Vodafone will be able to download Wipeout 2048 for free.

http://m.cnet.com.au/sony-partners-with-vodafone-for-ps-vita-339326638.htm?redir=1

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
I dug deeper into the 3G connectivity in the UK and came across the following article which outlines that Vodafone will be the preferred partner in certain territories including the UK, Australia and New Zealand but users won't be limited to it as their 3G carrier. It also goes on to say anyone choosing Vodafone will be able to download Wipeout 2048 for free.

http://m.cnet.com.au/sony-partners-with-vodafone-for-ps-vita-339326638.htm?redir=1

Looks like you guys get lucky in the UK

We just get shafted by AT&T. Good thing I preordered the wifi Vita, heh

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Yeah that news surfaced on the EU playstation blog a few months ago. I will definitely be getting the 3G model. I have one pre ordered. What is everyone else going for?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yeah that news surfaced on the EU playstation blog a few months ago. I will definitely be getting the 3G model. I have one pre ordered. What is everyone else going for?

I've got a Wi-Fi/3G one preordered on Game's web site but I think I'm going to go into one of their local stores and preorder it there instead. I've got about £50 worth of points built up so I may use those on the Vita.

I did read about a couple of free bonus packages for European consumers from Sony. One comprises of the official headphones, a discount voucher for a PSN game and some other goodies. The other one is an official wallet with space for memory cards and games as well the discount PSN voucher and some other goodies. I've not seen any of the retailers here advertising that promotion. I'm going to go into Game to ask them about it.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
I've got a Wi-Fi/3G one preordered on Game's web site but I think I'm going to go into one of their local stores and preorder it there instead. I've got about £50 worth of points built up so I may use those on the Vita.

I did read about a couple of free bonus packages for European consumers from Sony. One comprises of the official headphones, a discount voucher for a PSN game and some other goodies. The other one is an official wallet with space for memory cards and games as well the discount PSN voucher and some other goodies. I've not seen any of the retailers here advertising that promotion. I'm going to go into Game to ask them about it.
Yeah those offers are with Game but only in store. I may do the same and cancel my pre order so i can get one at midnight. Just cant be bothred to go into town after work and revising. Have no damn time.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Yeah those offers are with Game but only in store. I may do the same and cancel my pre order so i can get one at midnight. Just cant be bothred to go into town after work and revising. Have no damn time.

Oh whaaat, I really only want a decent first-party carry case for the Vita (I've got them for PSP/PSPgo), but having to actually go to GAME? Blegh, despite being in London my closest is a pain to get to.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
I know mate, I have seen some nice official cases from sony. Might be able to import one from japan. I really may just try my luck on launch night at tesco but id have to queue for a few hours and none of my mates are gamers so likely be on my own. Could guilt my girlfriend into coming though. What you think youll do? I dont want to sit in all day waiting for delivery from game :(

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Oh whaaat, I really only want a decent first-party carry case for the Vita (I've got them for PSP/PSPgo), but having to actually go to GAME? Blegh, despite being in London my closest is a pain to get to.

Those special offers don't include a carry case for the Vita. It's either the official headphones or a wallet for your money and credit cards which includes compartments for Vita games and memory cards. I'm at work right now so I can't provide the link to them. Speaking of carry cases I've ordered an official Sony leather one from Yes Asia for about £37. They are waiting for more stock before they ship mine out. that said I will probably have it before the Vita anyway.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
An official leather one sounds better than the rubbish currently on UK Amazon, and I've also spotted a charging dock that would help my mess of cabling. Why do we get so shafted on accessories?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
An official leather one sounds better than the rubbish currently on UK Amazon, and I've also spotted a charging dock that would help my mess of cabling. Why do we get so shafted on accessories?

Pure underlying filth in your post ;):D:p

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/psv-l...e-japan-version/1025583444-0-0-0-en/info.html

http://www.yesasia.com/global/psv-l...k-japan-version/1025583432-0-0-0-en/info.html

----------

I went today to one of my local game stores to preorder the 3G/Wi-Fi model. They were only offering the headphone bonus and not the wallet one. I would have preferred the wallet but as I've got around £50 on my points card I decided to just preorder it at Game.

The only thing is the £25 preorder deposit is non refundable as you get the headphones and redemption code for the other items there and then. That said if you change your mind you can use that money towards something else in there stores.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
http://www.yesasia.com/global/psv-l...e-japan-version/1025583444-0-0-0-en/info.html

http://www.yesasia.com/global/psv-l...k-japan-version/1025583432-0-0-0-en/info.html

----------

I went today to one of my local game stores to preorder the 3G/Wi-Fi model. They were only offering the headphone bonus and not the wallet one. I would have preferred the wallet but as I've got around £50 on my points card I decided to just preorder it at Game.

The only thing is the £25 preorder deposit is non refundable as you get the headphones and redemption code for the other items there and then. That said if you change your mind you can use that money towards something else in there stores.
I went in today and did the same, the headphones are cheap an I hate in ear buds, but they were free!
We have just got to keep our eyes peeled now to see if our local stores will be having a midnight launch, seen as mine is in a shopping centre and they have to pay to open at midnight, I doubt it. Demand would need to be pretty high and I cannot see that happening with the poor sales figures in Japan. Damn recession.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I have had mine on preorder with Amazon since 8-2011. I am excited it is almost here!

I am older than most PSP users at 46, but my fav games are Sid Meyers Pirates, Crazy Taxi, Chili Con Carnage, Snoopy v Red Baron, and Ape Escape. I am disappointed my 100+ games will not work on the vita, but the improvements overrode my wallet. I refused to upgrade to PSPgo after they dropped the offer to trade in your UMDs.

AT&T is the US data provider. Would be nice if I could use my iPads sim card or get a discount for already having a data plan, but it ain't gonna happen.

Ian.C

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Lancashire, UK
I have had mine on preorder with Amazon since 8-2011. I am excited it is almost here!

I am older than most PSP users at 46, but my fav games are Sid Meyers Pirates, Crazy Taxi, Chili Con Carnage, Snoopy v Red Baron, and Ape Escape. I am disappointed my 100+ games will not work on the vita, but the improvements overrode my wallet. I refused to upgrade to PSPgo after they dropped the offer to trade in your UMDs.

AT&T is the US data provider. Would be nice if I could use my iPads sim card or get a discount for already having a data plan, but it ain't gonna happen.

dont worry from what i have seen sony are going to release a program called UMD passport. this will allow you to transfer all your psp games to your pc and then onto your vita through the content manger that is on all vitas....

when i log in to my jap psn account on my vita there an icon for umd passport so it coming...

by the way if wipeout 2048 is not on your list and you get chance to try it before launch...do it... its is simply amazing....

i have been blown away since i got my vita before christmas and creating a jap psn account has let me download about 5 jap vita demos... brilliant...

best handheld i have ever owned, and i have had a few....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
dont worry from what i have seen sony are going to release a program called UMD passport. this will allow you to transfer all your psp games to your pc and then onto your vita through the content manger that is on all vitas....

when i log in to my jap psn account on my vita there an icon for umd passport so it coming...

Nope. They're only supporting a few games, so far. But the fact that all games aren't automatically supported makes me believe this won't cover a large number of games.

It's entirely up to the publisher.

Ian.C

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Lancashire, UK
Nope. They're only supporting a few games, so far. But the fact that all games aren't automatically supported makes me believe this won't cover a large number of games.

It's entirely up to the publisher.

Out of the 606 PSP titles available digitally through Japan's PlayStation Store, 262 of them qualify as UMD Passport titles. Content from key publishers like Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Konami and Capcom is notably absent from the list.

----------

tried playing bf3 campaign mode via remote play using a 3.55 ps3.... stunning...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.