Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Hi all,

I have had the ATV2 since just after its launch, and when I got this, I started to convert my entire library to m4v and build a new local iTunes library. This quickly grew and I now have two WD studio FW800 drives attached storing my content.

To be honest, I am finding myself with less and less time to manage the library, (i am quite strict in keeping everything tagged spotlessly) and I am also starting to get concerned about storage and backups.

I am now leaning towards just merely renting movies from ATV, and we will soon have Netflix here in the UK, so I'll sign up to that (hopefully it will be integrated from the start to ATV).

I have over 2000 Tv episodes, in my library as it stands, and I am considering, bit by bit, repurchasing these through iTunes, now that you can access them direct from iCloud, without them needing to be stored.

My only gripe with this is that I need to navigate to a separate menu in ATV, as they do not show under my library (only in TV Shows>Purchased)

Anyone think Apple will let you "see" these items in your library, without having to have them stored any time in the future? Kind of like iTunes match. All there but with a cloud icon, ready to stream.

Anyone else moved from a locally stored library to a mostly streamed one?

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
The only problem I see, other than bandwidth limits, is that content may cease to be available if it is no longer sold through the iTunes store.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
If I were starting today, I'd go that route - buy/rent everything from iTunes and be done with it. The DRM still bothers me however.

But since I have so much invested in previous content I don't see the point. Why give Apple thousands of dollars for the same stuff I already have? In many cases my encodes are of higher quality than what iTMS offers as well.

I feel your pain vis-a-vi managing and maintaining an ever-growing library but I'd step back and reconsider on this one.

shorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
My bandwidth limits are too much of a problem, I have a 35mb connection and that has plenty of allowance for more than enough viewing.

Availability in the iTMS is a bit of a concern, not so much about whether its in it, more so whether its available to rent.

The quality is a consideration as well. I have many HD versions of movies, (all 720p, 5.1 m4v's) and most of these are available in iTunes, but not all in HD. But I think that the amount of HD is continually increasing, and may not pose to much of a problem.

I am also planning on Netflix when it launches, but that is mainly on the basis that I'm hoping it gets integrated in ATV, like in the US. I'm sure it will, the architecture must be there already. I do not know what the offering of Netflix will be like though. I've tried browsing the US library, but it won't let me as I'm based in the UK. Guess I will have to wait and see.

There are many for's and against, but one of the main reasons for doing it is convenience. I think I might save myself many hours of converting, downloading, organising, researching back-up solutions, tagging and managing.

It might actually give me more time to sit in front of my TV and go "Click, I'll watch that!"

shorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for that slothrob, I did actually find that site a short time ago. Wasn't quite sure what it was to start with, but then figured it out. To be honest, if the UK offering is on par with that, then I will be very happy. I know a lot of films are older ones, but theres plenty of old films I haven't seen :) Also there seems to be a large amount in HD. I'm hoping with my decent connection that I should get a good bitrate coming through, as I heard it can vary.

On a sidenote, I rented my first movie from ATV tonight. I rented Benda Billili, for £3.49. It was standard def, but looked very good. Bearing in mind most of the film was shot with handheld cam it didn't matter.
Movie was ready in about 10 seconds. Watched without a problem, and really enjoyed it! Recommended!

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
To be honest, if the UK offering is on par with that, then I will be very happy. I know a lot of films are older ones, but theres plenty of old films I haven't seen :)
I never have any trouble finding good things to watch on Netflix streaming and I continue to discover a lot of cool things I never knew about. You just can't count on being able to find a particular movie that might come to mind, particularly recent ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.