Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Curious if anyone can explain the functions df some of the settings found under the advanced tab of Location services.

Items include, Cell Network Search, Diagnostics and Usage, and Time Zone Settings. If I turn these functions off will my 4s have limited usage but conserve battery and vice versa? Never noticed these settings on my 4 so wanted to now what settings to use to best conserve my battery without crippling the phone.

Thanks in advance.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I have iAds location OFF and Diagnostics & Usage OFF. I really don't know what the others are for so I left them on.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I turned off the same and included the setting time zone and traffic. Would like to know what exactly the cell network search does.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I turned off the same and included the setting time zone and traffic. Would like to know what exactly the cell network search does.

It's probably what helps the phone switch between antennas to get the best reception.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I actually find it a little sneaky of Apple to not provide a clear explanation AND to set the status bar icon to OFF as a default. They clearly want to track certain data from us (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's all done anonymously) and to avoid criticism give us the ability, buried in a setting two layers deep, to turn off that tracking. But they leave it on as a default and hide the off button.

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Curious if anyone can explain the functions df some of the settings found under the advanced tab of Location services.

Items include, Cell Network Search, Diagnostics and Usage, and Time Zone Settings. If I turn these functions off will my 4s have limited usage but conserve battery and vice versa? Never noticed these settings on my 4 so wanted to now what settings to use to best conserve my battery without crippling the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Another poster found that the compass calibration is used to determine true north from magnetic north.

marktwothousand

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Another poster found that the compass calibration is used to determine true north from magnetic north.
That was me. I am now trying to figure out what "Mobile Network Search" is. On my iPhone 4 it said "Cell Network Search" but my 4s says "Mobile Network Search".

whiskeyvol

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
from the batterygate thread:

From another thread this is what some of these system services do:

1) When device is first turned on, searches for cells/wifi + GPS for 30 seconds, batch sent later.

2) When searching for network after call dropped, cells/wifi are collected and later batch sent.

3) If diagnostics are turned on, cell/wifi coordinates are collected at start/end of call to look for bad cell spots. Batch sent later.

4) When an app requests the current GPS location, any visible cells or hotspots are immediately sent up to Apple along with GPS coordinates.

5) Otherwise, as long as an LBS app is running, it does an intermittent collection which is batch sent every 12 hours.

Seems like a lot of GPS turning on and off here. And if you are in a bad signal area and getting dropped calls it would be worse.

if you're wanting to see when you're actually using the locator, turn it 'on' at the bottom of system services

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Someone has to know what each one means and can run through them for us with a brief description. Anybody care to help us out?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Someone has to know what each one means and can run through them for us with a brief description. Anybody care to help us out?

I know what the traffic one does. It tracks you as you are traveling and sends speed and location info for traffic purposes back to Apple.

dunc5

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
I'd be really interested to know what these mean too ...

Diagnostics & usage

Location based IAds

Mobile Network Search

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
That was me. I am now trying to figure out what "Mobile Network Search" is. On my iPhone 4 it said "Cell Network Search" but my 4s says "Mobile Network Search".

The difference: One will be set up as (british english) and the other as (american english)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.