Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I cannot get my iPhone 3GS to backup to iCloud anymore. The last backup was three weeks ago, since then no attempt was successful.
The error message is ''There as a problem completing the backup. Please try again later.''

I have tried deleting my account and signing in with another. Then attempting to make a backup, which failed sadly.
I have deleted my current backup.
I restored my iPhone with iTunes.

I'm at a loss. Every other topic I found regarding this is month's old. Or has no fix that works for me.
My data does get synced with iCloud, because my Mac does get the agenda/notes/contacts changes.

Is there anyone who has a suggestion on how to get this working again?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Are you confusing iCloud backups with iTunes syncing? It took me a while to figure out the differences (thanks to others on this forum) but it's

iCloud - backup data
iTunes - sync music, books

You can also backup to your computer, if you check that box in iTunes. However, if you do this, it won't backup to iCloud unless you enable that again on your iDevice.

Try a manual iCloud backup (Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > iCloud backup (on) > Back up now) This will tell you if all is working OK.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
No I'm not confusing the two. I can still back up to iTunes, but no longer to iCloud.
It's not a settings issue, it keeps giving me an error when I manually try to back up to iCloud.

iCloud makes backups every time you connect your iPhone to a power socket and it's connected to Wi-Fi. Much easier for back-ups. Though that doesn't work for me.

ralphwh

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
I was having the same problem the last couple of days. Sometimes I'd just get "'There as a problem completing the backup. Please try again later" like you, and sometimes I would get a verification error message. It started failing for me a few days ago, but wasn't too worried. When it continued to fail this morning I started to dig around the forums and like you, I didn't find any solutions.

Finally, I just decided to turn off the phone, since I hadn't done that for a few weeks, and when I went back in to iCloud settings and clicked backup now, it started right away and finished in a couple of minutes. Everything looks fine now.

I don't know if that will resolve your problem, but thought I would let you know what worked for me.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
had this problem a while back, can't remember if it was iPhone or iPad. Deleted my old backup and then turned off anything I wasn't bothered about being backed up (especially big items) and not had a problem since then.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Turning off my iPhone doesn't work.

The iCloud settings page crashes when I manage my storage. The moment when I can delete my backup is when the app simply crashes and throws me back to the springboard.

I'm hoping an update will fix this, because I cannot get this working in any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.