Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reluttr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I got a nano for Christmas and am trying to decide on what watchband I should get for it.

I want something with the following.
~a 40$ price point
- Durability
- Comfort
- Secure grip on the ipod and my wrist
- Some protection for the nano
- Accessibility "like for connecting portable mic's, and other accessories"

So far I am caught inbetween the iWatchz Q2 series, and a KO? of the LunaTik series sold on Amazon and DealExtreme. "Both are coming from china so I am assuming they are knock offs of some kinda. They could be generic runs from the same factory though."

Which one do you guys think is better? I am worried that the LunaTik will get grit inside it and rub scratches onto the ipod :(.

Has anyone had this problem with it?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It's still referred to as a 6G Nano considering it was more of a software tweak than hardware.

Anyway, I am in the same position. I will be hopefully be getting the 6G Nano as a replacement for my recalled 1G. Seeing as I still have my 3G Nano, 5G iPod Video, and 3 iPhones, I think I am well covered on iPod's. The 6G would be awesome as a watch for me.

I know your budget is $40, but at least over at the online Apple Store, they don't seem to secure the Nano that well.

I am looking at this one as you slide the Nano in and secure it with screws.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...gen?n=ipodnano6&fnode=MTY1NDA3NQ&s=topSellers

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm really happy with my iWatchz Carbon ... secure and comfy ... http://www.iwatchz.com/collections/carbon-collection

iwatchz_carbon_red.jpg

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
None of the following are within the $40 price range, but maybe it'll peak your interest...

I have the Hex Vision Metal Watchband ($70) for my silver 7th gen iPod Nano:
H5111

But I want to exchange it for the iWatchz Timepiece Brown Leather Watchband ($90), since I already have a nice silver colored watch:
H4859

But I also like the iWatchz Elemetal collection too ($90):
iwatchz-elemetal-silver_1.jpg

Guess it depends what you want it for (casual, working out, formal, etc). Seems like Hex, iWatchz, and Lunatik are pretty good brands... but iWatchz and Lunatik can get pretty expensive. The Hex band I have holds the Nano very well, but Lunatik's approach seems to be more secure with their hex screws and what not. I don't think that's necessary at all though.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I love the metal bands because I would love to make the Nano a formal looking watch where it would be appropriate to take to formal places, etc. I just like Lunatik's band uses hex screws to secure the Nano in vs just sliding it in. I want the peace of mind, it isn't going anywhere.

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
I am not trying to derail this topic, but I'm looking forward to my 1G turning into a 6G. I was looking at the lunatik watches for the security it gives the iPod and the Q series for the cheap price. Would either of these be comfortable on a 6 inch wrist? Unfortunately, small wrists run in my family and the watches tell you a maximum size but not a minimum. Anyone have any experience with either one?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I am not trying to derail this topic, but I'm looking forward to my 1G turning into a 6G. I was looking at the lunatik watches for the security it gives the iPod and the Q series for the cheap price. Would either of these be comfortable on a 6 inch wrist? Unfortunately, small wrists run in my family and the watches tell you a maximum size but not a minimum. Anyone have any experience with either one?

I have a 6 inch wrist. The Q series watch silicone band, if tightened all the way to the last notch, is just a bit loose. Could use one more notch to make it fit securely. It is not so loose that I don't wear it though.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I just got the Hex with the leather band from the Apple Store Saturday and love it. Very comfortable and secure.

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
I have a 6 inch wrist. The Q series watch silicone band, if tightened all the way to the last notch, is just a bit loose. Could use one more notch to make it fit securely. It is not so loose that I don't wear it though.

Can the watch freely move around your wrist? In other words, is the nano ever not on top of your wrist?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Can the watch freely move around your wrist? In other words, is the nano ever not on top of your wrist?

It's always face up in normal watch position on my wrist, although I can turn it around manually.

I bought this band because a few reviewers complained about it being too small for a normal wrist. ;)

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
It's always face up in normal watch position on my wrist, although I can turn it around manually.

I bought this band because a few reviewers complained about it being too small for a normal wrist. ;)

Alright thanks. I'll get it then, I just didn't want it moving on its own.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
None of the following are within the $40 price range, but maybe it'll peak your interest...

I have the Hex Vision Metal Watchband ($70) for my silver 7th gen iPod Nano:

I have this, but the black version, with my black nano and I love it. Matches nice with everything I wear on a daily basis.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Where do you keep your earphone while the ipod is in the wrist?

And what about when you want to listen to music? Its kinda weird having the plug to your wrist and walk down the street.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's a 6th gen iPod nano. There is no 7th gen iPod nano yet.

Love the metal Hex bands - they look fantastic!

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Just sold mine, but I loved the Hex silicone watch band.

It covers all of the ports so water can't get in as easily when you're washing your hands. The headphone port has a little flap that can be released as well. :D

The colors are bit lighter than depicted though. The red was a really ugly, ruddy brown.

318%2BHifwOOL._AA300_.jpg

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Where do you keep your earphone while the ipod is in the wrist?

And what about when you want to listen to music? Its kinda weird having the plug to your wrist and walk down the street.

I run the wire up my sleeve, it is really quite nice that way. Only have done this with long sleeves so far.

SilverBlade

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I personally use this: http://quadmountain.com/, but I use this for the gym.

I am also considering getting this too: http://www.wristjockey.com/products.html, in either the 'Admiral' or 'executive'.

I picked these two brands because of how the nano is positioned. The orientation of the screen can be rotated so that doesn't matter, but the hardware position does. In most watch bands for the nano I've seen, they all place the headphone connection at either the 3 o'clock position or the 9 o'clock position, when then turns the headphone jack into an obstacle when you bend your wrist and taking the risk of damaging something. The two bands which I picked places the headphone connection at the 12 or 6 position, eliminating that risk.

reluttr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Has anyone got the iWatchz Elemental? Is it worth the 90$ price tag?

vespagirl

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
I got a nano for Christmas and am trying to decide on what watchband I should get for it.

I want something with the following.
~a 40$ price point
- Durability
- Comfort
- Secure grip on the ipod and my wrist
- Some protection for the nano
- Accessibility "like for connecting portable mic's, and other accessories"

So far I am caught inbetween the iWatchz Q2 series, and a KO? of the LunaTik series sold on Amazon and DealExtreme. "Both are coming from china so I am assuming they are knock offs of some kinda. They could be generic runs from the same factory though."

Which one do you guys think is better? I am worried that the LunaTik will get grit inside it and rub scratches onto the ipod :(.

Has anyone had this problem with it?

I have a black TikTok from LunaTik and I love it. I have a green nano and the black and green combo is pretty slick. I am a fanatic about dirt/dust/grit and anything that may scratch my device is a concern to me as well. The fit of the TikTok is impressive as the device snaps in there nice and snug and there does not appear to be any threat of scratching the nano. I wanted my headphone port on the inside so I can run the cord down my sleeve or facing towards my arm and that seems to be working out so far. Additionally, I like the sleep button facing out because it seems easier to tap it from there. The volume controls face out as well and are easier to access, IMO. For $40, it has a very sturdy, well-built design and there is nothing cheap about it. I also have a small wrist, for the person concerned about their own small wrist, and it's not clunky on my wrist. Based on the size of the nano, I was concerned it may look like a old school TV console on my wrist. Not the case though.

serge2k

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
I personally use this: http://quadmountain.com/, but I use this for the gym.

I am also considering getting this too: http://www.wristjockey.com/products.html, in either the 'Admiral' or 'executive'.

I picked these two brands because of how the nano is positioned. The orientation of the screen can be rotated so that doesn't matter, but the hardware position does. In most watch bands for the nano I've seen, they all place the headphone connection at either the 3 o'clock position or the 9 o'clock position, when then turns the headphone jack into an obstacle when you bend your wrist and taking the risk of damaging something. The two bands which I picked places the headphone connection at the 12 or 6 position, eliminating that risk.

Thanks for posting the quadmountain link. Can you give your experience while using in the gym? Is it secure enough? Does it acquire that smell after wearing it for awhile that most rubber bands from watches get?

I'm thinking of getting this because I might be running with it with the Nike+ sensor.

Thanks for any info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.