Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRob1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Hi, I'm going to be selling my iMac in the next few days (hopefully) and obviously I need to wipe it completely clean.

It has OSX Lion on it and I'm not sure how to format the hard drive. Also, when I do format it, will it still have Lion on it when the next person gets it? It had Leopard on it when I bought it, and I upgraded to Snow Leopard and then Lion, but because I paid for Lion from the App Store with my account details, can the next person still use it? Or shall I just put Snow Leopard back onto it?

Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Or shall I just put Snow Leopard back onto it?

I'd go that route. It's not like the US$29 Lion should be a real draw for the next owner.

This is one thing that got most confusing with the shift to MAS deployment. As with most downloadable content, its resale potential and value is questionable.

B

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I don't understand the confusion. Lion installs a recovery partition for just this purpose.

Hold down 'option' at boot and select the recovery partition, then find the option for "erase and install".

That's pretty much all there is to it.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Ask the buyer if they already purchased lion. If they did it seems reasonable for you to give it to him/her with lion on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.