Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewwg94

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
the only one i know of, hotspot shield, stopped giving account id's. any other services? i found one that works, but it's in holland and gives me high latency.

Tu13es

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
Set up your own?

I've been looking for a way to do this and it seems to be easier said than done. If anyone has any useful links on doing this, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: To clarify, I have a router running Tomato (will also run DD-WRT) that I'd like to use for it, but if I need to host it from a Mac I guess I'd do that instead.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
If you own a Mac and have broadband at home, I suggest iVPN from MacServe (http://www.macserve.co.uk).

1. You can trust it more, because it's your own connection to your broadband internet at home.

2. You can configure it for yourself, and a close circle of family and friends.

3. You can access nearly everything at home, i.e. remote desktop and access files on your home network.

4. One-time purchase versus a monthly fee.

vinko

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Hong Kong, SAR
If you own a Mac and have broadband at home, I suggest iVPN from MacServe (http://www.macserve.co.uk).

1. You can trust it more, because it's your own connection to your broadband internet at home.

2. You can configure it for yourself, and a close circle of family and friends.

3. You can access nearly everything at home, i.e. remote desktop and access files on your home network.

4. One-time purchase versus a monthly fee.

I think your URL is incorrect for MacServe's iVPN. I think it is http://macserve.org.uk/projects/ivpn/ but I think they are having their own problems with their site.

aldo818

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
South of France
I ve 2 questions about Hotspot shield.

1) Are their also ads in the iphone version like in the desktop which are annoying?

2) Does it always disconnect as well?

vinko

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
Hong Kong, SAR
I ve 2 questions about Hotspot shield.

1) Are their also ads in the iphone version like in the desktop which are annoying?

2) Does it always disconnect as well?

The ads are so that Hotspot Shield can keep the service free.

I find Hotspot Shield pretty stable here in Hong Kong as long as I keep using data access. If I stop using data for a period of time it does automatically disconnect, which I find beneficial for my use.

FirePak

macrumors regular
May 5, 2006
Mesa Arizona
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just setup a VPN about a week ago on my ddwrt router. It took all of 10 mins to setup and has been working great. I also recommend setting up a dns service like no-ip. Just google VPN ddwrt for a few guides.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just setup a VPN about a week ago on my ddwrt router. It took all of 10 mins to setup and has been working great. I also recommend setting up a dns service like no-ip. Just google VPN ddwrt for a few guides.

How did you do this?

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

How did you do this?

Look what you quoted. That's how he did it.

Kimobasha77

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
Commercial VPN service: Witopia highly recommended.

Homebrew: Tomato router running OpenVPN server, and Guizmovpn on jailbroken iPhone

Hi Ben,

About 4 years ago, you posted this:

MacBook International Warranty/Service

Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who purchased a MacBook this summer in the U.S. but lives here in Egypt. The machine won't boot at all, I've tried all I can, and think now there may be a hardware problem. A few questions...

1. A MacBook warranty is international yes? Can anyone show me somewhere on the Apple site that actually confirms this?

2. We have an Apple Authorised Service Provider here in Egypt, but they are refusing to repair it under warranty, saying they are not obliged to accept warranty repairs for machines purchased elsewhere. Can this be true? Instead they quoted him approx. $1300 for a new logic board!

3. If (2) above isn't true, what can he do short of flying back to the U.S.? Is there anything that says they HAVE to accept a warranty repair?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

I hope you remember this post :)

I live in Egypt and i'm about to buy a Mac Book pro from the U.S which is the same scenario of your friend obviously because its much cheaper than here. I'd like to know where is this Apple Authorised Service Provider in Egypt? Do you remember its name?

You also mentioned:

They did accept the warranty.... but charged him for the shipping cost & import duty on the new parts (if I remember correctly - it was a while ago).

Do you remember how much did they charge your friend for the shipping cost and import duty on the new parts?

Thanks Alot,

Kareem

Frisco-sp

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
kebrum.com turned out to be a really reliable one!
gives anything you need for anonymous serfing alongside with strong protection.
i really like it if you ask me)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

This, me too.

Google for guide, special commands you insert to make it work well with Apple products.
And set dns to 8.8.8.8. It's all addressed on DDWRT documentation and Google.

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
I'm a big fan of Cloak - it works on both Mac OS and iOS and provides secure VPN access. Simple and painless to get started. They have free plans and a paid service for heavy users.

Great if you are hopping on unsecured Wi-Fi networks. My wife also uses it when she travels to China to access Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

This, works great for me. Have one setup for myself, and one for fathers network. Very easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.