Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
No matter if I use Mac the Ripper or RipIt, I can rip the disc and play it on the mac, but I can not seem to encode using Hand Brake for whatever reason it just does not work.

The following movies are giving me a hard time:

Fools Gold
Dan in Real Life
Gridiron Gang
Toy Story 3
Jackass 2

I am sure there might be more, I have about 60 discs to go thru yet out of around 800

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Some movies use methods to prevent ripping/encoding in order to try to prevent piracy. There are some workarounds, but some movies just can't be ripped.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
Like Blueroom stated, Handbrake and VLC. I would start playing the movie using VLC and while the actual movie is playing click on Title in the toolbar and it will show you which title is playing. Most Dvd's have multiple titles only seconds apart to fool the decryption method. Once you determine the correct title open Handbrake and let it search. If it selects a Title other than the one you determined just click the dropdown arrow and select the correct title.

techchallenger

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Like Blueroom stated, Handbrake and VLC. I would start playing the movie using VLC and while the actual movie is playing click on Title in the toolbar and it will show you which title is playing. Most Dvd's have multiple titles only seconds apart to fool the decryption method. Once you determine the correct title open Handbrake and let it search. If it selects a Title other than the one you determined just click the dropdown arrow and select the correct title.

Once you have played the DVD and figured out which title is the actual movie, go into handbrake and select open (title specific).

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Some movies use methods to prevent ripping/encoding in order to try to prevent piracy. There are some workarounds, but some movies just can't be ripped.

I had no problem with Toy Story 3; ripped like all the other. I have never yet found a DVD or BluRay that I could not rip.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA

I've had some movies (the Count of Monte Cristo for instance) that Handbrake will not complete the scan...I've left it for hours and still nothing. Usually I'll try MKV...but even that failed for me.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I've had some movies (the Count of Monte Cristo for instance) that Handbrake will not complete the scan...I've left it for hours and still nothing. Usually I'll try MKV...but even that failed for me.

Did you have VLC running with Handbrake? It sounds like it's not decrypting the disc.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Did you have VLC running with Handbrake? It sounds like it's not decrypting the disc.

No...I was only running handbrake...

but I finally gave up and just played it in my DVD player...and there must be a scratch or smudge I don't see, because my player could not get through the whole movie...so there you have it.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Cars 2 WILL NOT rip in any way for me. I have tried Mac The Ripper and Handbrake.

In fact, it crashes Handbrake completely.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Cars 2 WILL NOT rip in any way for me. I have tried Mac The Ripper and Handbrake.

In fact, it crashes Handbrake completely.

I have the same problem with RipIt. I ended up using AnyDVD under Windows. I wish Little App Factory would sell RipIt to someone who could do a proper job of maintaining it....

gazdog1

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Handbrake

Always used handbrake and it's never failed me as of yet. Plus there's pre settings for apple tv and other apple products.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
What version of Handbrake are you using ? Are you up-to-date ?
Also, try one of the nightly builds, they have fixed a lot in the last months since the last official release.'

Rumor has it a new official release is coming soon.

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.