Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
To all PPC users what browser do you use? And why? I use TenFourFox because it's in active development.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Safari 5, it may not be quicker than Camino or TenFourFox (I have both installed, but really use them) but I prefer the experience on Safari to the other two. It seems more complete & I think it's a more enjoyable way to browse.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I too switched back to Safari after trying out TenFourFox and Camino. The last two are fine browsers, but I prefer surfing with Safari.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
T4F. I like it and it's fast, but my main reason for using it is that Opera 11 is Intel only and the versions of Opera 10 that I fall back on sometimes are seriously outdated. I was using Flock and Sea Monkey for awhile too.

I use Safari when I have to. But I've always hated it.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Safari all the way on my faster computers and Camino PowerPC builds on slower ones. Clasilla on the Powermac G3.

Last edited:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
A lot of you guys are using safari, i might give it another try.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
web browsers

Tenfourfox mostly, though latest 9 builds seem to have taken a bit of a performance hit with Kaiser and Co trying to get method jit and/or tracejit running stable. Tenfourfox 8 is fast,fast,fast. Omniweb and sometimes Safari, and sometimes G4 optimized builds of Camino.Been using greasekit and viewtube in Safari and Omniweb to play youtube inside a browser the last few days, which is a revelation. However mactubes is still the way to go to get your youtube on PPC machines.

And of course Classilla. Posting from 9.2.3 right now. Classilla is frackin great, especially if you make extensive use of mobile sites. Most of the content, none of the ads! I hope Herr Kaiser can keep it going.

kevin242

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2006
Ive used tenfourfox but I like Safari, with developer mode enabled (for flash) its the best browser imo

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Of course, Java and Flash is disabled in T4F.

All you have to do is enable them.

I like T4F for the sync option that is built in. I have several PPC Macs, and an Intel iMac with Firefox, and they are all synched. I don't have to remember what computer I was on when I bookmarked a web site, it will be on all of them. In also like all of the preferences being the same too.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Main PPC machine is a 12in PowerBook 1.5GHz running Leopard; I tried some of the PPC browsers including Camino G4, Safari, iCab, Omniweb, TenFourFox.

I wanted 1Password compatibility and ideally the Evernote plugin/clipper; plus I wanted the lowest processor load to try to keep the temps down on the PB.

Lowest processor load was iCab, followed closely by Safari. The rest were considerably higher with Camino G4 the worst. I couldn't get 1Password to play with TFF. Only Safari would work with the Evernote clipper.

So, Safari it is and occasionally iCab for its extra features.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
TenFourFox for me on my 1.25Ghz iMac. Works pretty quick. If it here just a hair faster I would be 100% satisfied. The jump from 1GB of Ram to 2 (Leopard) blows my mind. Night and day difference in speed.

B-G

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
On PPC my main browser is TenFourFox. I really like it and not only for its speed and for its extensions. No other browser gives you that fantastic feeling you are stealing back the internet (just look at the tenfourfox page on floodgap!) :)
I also use Safari 5, mainly because of its excellent Clicktoplugin extension. Safari runs much smoother after having disabled webpage preview in history and top sites with TinkerTool. Glimmer Blocker, Deanimator and Get Off My Lawn do help a lot with speed and stability.
That said in the last few weeks I've experimented with many different browsers for PPC. As a result I've developed a fondness for Omniweb (so utterly, incredibly elegant ! ) and Stainless. I confess that the thing I like the most in Stainless is the fact that making it functional is a challenge. Glimmer Blocker to block ads, Clicktoflash plugin to take care of flash, AllBookmarks to share bookmarks with Safari (I think it also supports 1Password), bookmarklets and RealPlayer Downloader for videos... and voila, you have a pretty decent browser in your hands!

Last edited:

B-G

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Neat. Shame there isn't one for Twitter.

On paper, one could use Adblock to do that. But Adblock is so heavy it is not a viable option. The one time i tried to install it on my eMac I got so many spinning beachballs I dumped it immediately.
I tried to find a Glimmer Blocker filter to block social media widgets, but I had no success.

----------

I tried javascript-blocker in the past. I remember having some problems with it (configuration panel would not show up when clicking on the button in the toolbar). I might give it another try.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I tried javascript-blocker in the past. I remember having some problems with it (configuration panel would not show up when clicking on the button in the toolbar). I might give it another try.

I'm having that problem at the moment but it is stopping Javascript like on the Apple start page middle column. I just can't whitelist it. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.