Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Aye. :p

Like the ever cunning Abstract, I've been scouring the free agent lists for likely talent and I discovered a player by the name of Metta World Peace. I don't know if he's any good or not, but with a fantastic name like that there's no way that I'm not signing him up. :D

I was thisclose to picking him up...but as a loyal Seton Hall alum...I can't have any former St. John's guys on my team.

But, yes...Metta World Peace is a much, much cooler name than Ron Artest.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I really need to upgrade some parts

What I hate though is how they rank based on GP as it is somewhat misleading. For instance my team has 20 gp and is ranked 19th. However let me have 6 more games like the top team and I could vault up the rankings

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I saw that you dumped Ben Gordon to get him. :p

I have noticed that there's a player named Lebron James who is putting up better numbers than 3 of my "star players" combined. What are the chances of him hurting himself soon?

let us hope he doesn't :p
think of the children! :D

I really need to upgrade some parts

What I hate though is how they rank based on GP as it is somewhat misleading. For instance my team has 20 gp and is ranked 19th. However let me have 6 more games like the top team and I could vault up the rankings

not sure what you mean, isn't the ranking based on just the total stats of each player to-date?
eventually all players will play roughly the same number of games, but at the beginning the stats will be changing significantly one day to the next, based on who is playing that day.

the.316, are you managing two teams? :confused:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
not sure what you mean, isn't the ranking based on just the total stats of each player to-date?
eventually all players will play roughly the same number of games, but at the beginning the stats will be changing significantly one day to the next, based on who is playing that day.

Yea the beginning is quite turbulent
the.316, are you managing two teams? :confused:

Looks like it. That would help when the draft was done if the plan was to load one team up and deplete the other lol

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I only just realised that you can't just put any player with a game today into the active fantasy lineup due to the game limit. :eek:

I knew there was a 66 game limit for each position in my fantasy lineup, but for some reason, I was too stupid to realize that I have ~13 players, and there are 10 player positions (PG, SG, F, C, Utility, etc), so I need to activate only the players that I believe will help me each night.

Why the hell did I start Devin Harris so many times before I dumped his ass?? :mad:

Anyway, lesson learned. I'm a bit new to fantasy leagues, so this was bound to happen.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I only just realised that you can't just put any player with a game today into the active fantasy lineup due to the game limit. :eek:

I knew there was a 66 game limit for each position in my fantasy lineup, but for some reason, I was too stupid to realize that I have ~13 players, and there are 10 player positions (PG, SG, F, C, Utility, etc), so I need to activate only the players that I believe will help me each night.

Why the hell did I start Devin Harris so many times before I dumped his ass?? :mad:

Anyway, lesson learned. I'm a bit new to fantasy leagues, so this was bound to happen.

Damn, I did not realize that either. Thanks for the heads up. This is harder than I thought, I finally was starting to get the hang of it. Dammit.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Yeah, my players have played WAAAAY too many games so far. :rolleyes: That's the only reason why I'm 2nd place.

It's probably easier to decide on a regular lineup of 10 players, and only play those 10 players, ignoring the other 3 players entirely until they're needed (or if one of them is playing hot). If you only played those same 10 players, you'd definitely play 66 games at each position!!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Damn, I did not realize that either. Thanks for the heads up. This is harder than I thought, I finally was starting to get the hang of it. Dammit.

make that 3! :D
i thought that all game counted, so i guess I have to start sitting out players who are underproducing to get back on the right pace, if i don't want to crash at the end
welcome to the bench Landry Fields and De Andre Jordan! :)
it's good that we found out early

this are the standings on a per/game basis:

Team_________________points_____games_____P/G

New York HitchHikers_______87.5_______62_______1.41
Team C____________________66_______51_______1.29
Claremont Warts___________73.5_______57_______1.29
Winterfell Direwolves_______61.5_______52_______1.18
Excellent Ballhandlers________73_______62_______1.18
Team KSB________________56.5_______48_______1.18
lamar scrodom____________49.5_______45_______1.10
Team Busmadis___________44.5_______43_______1.03
Woodsmoor Dunkers_______52.5_______52_______1.01
Lob City Phi Slama Jama_____44_______49_______0.90
Amber Dribblers__________51.5_______58_______0.89

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
So what would be the best strategy for the games played thing? Make a starting lineup along with utility players, and keep them for the most part? Maybe substitute when certain players get hot? I'm an idiot and was substituting players in and out whose teams didn't have games, which is why I'm on pace to be over the limit.

I admit I don't know what I'm doing, really. I guess I'll see if there are any guides on the internet and read up a bit.

My impatience in life has definitely translated into impatience as a GM, though. :D

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
So what would be the best strategy for the games played thing? Make a starting lineup along with utility players, and keep them for the most part? Maybe substitute when certain players get hot? I'm an idiot and was substituting players in and out whose teams didn't have games, which is why I'm on pace to be over the limit.

I admit I don't know what I'm doing, really. I guess I'll see if there are any guides on the internet and read up a bit.

My impatience in life has definitely translated into impatience as a GM, though. :D

I'm with you...I have no idea what I'm doing and what's going on with these limits. I've actually played a lot of Fantasy sports- but I can't remember the last time i've played Roto. I, too, have just been switching guys out on off days. I guess I'll just leave 1 lineup in there and only switch out for injuries or for a guy with a hot hand.

And I seriously have to change my name...Team C isn't going to cut it. :eek:

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I'm with you...I have no idea what I'm doing and what's going on with these limits. I've actually played a lot of Fantasy sports- but I can't remember the last time i've played Roto. I, too, have just been switching guys out on off days. I guess I'll just leave 1 lineup in there and only switch out for injuries or for a guy with a hot hand.

And I seriously have to change my name...Team C isn't going to cut it. :eek:

Yeah, I guess that'll be my strategy, too. I haven't played much fantasy sports, so I figurI want to have fun, but I'm also not willing to turn this into a part-time job.

Change your name! I've been quietly judging you for the lameness. :D

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Yeah, I guess that'll be my strategy, too. I haven't played much fantasy sports, so I figurI want to have fun, but I'm also not willing to turn this into a part-time job.

Change your name! I've been quietly judging you for the lameness. :D

I say we give Moyank a deadline to come up with a new team name or we pick one for her. ;)

I'm trying! And Jaffa...yours was the only response on Twitter that wasn't NSFW. I have a total naming block thing going on. :(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
^^^Why can't you drop him? :confused:

And triple-doubles (TD) aren't important enough to get their own category, and yet it's a category!!!

Rondo is the only player in the league who has one at the moment, and that person who has Rondo in their lineup is going to get 11 points while the rest of us will get 5.5. :rolleyes: I know we all had an equal chance of drafting players who could potentially get one, but they're so few and far between that they shouldn't be as influential as points, assists, rebounds, FG%, FT%, etc.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
^^^Why can't you drop him? :confused:

And triple-doubles (TD) aren't important enough to get their own category, and yet it's a category!!!

Rondo is the only player in the league who has one at the moment, and that person who has Rondo in their lineup is going to get 11 points while the rest of us will get 5.5. :rolleyes: I know we all had an equal chance of drafting players who could potentially get one, but they're so few and far between that they shouldn't be as influential as points, assists, rebounds, FG%, FT%, etc.

ESPN has an "undroppable list"
http://games.espn.go.com/fba/tools/undroppables

It can change on various factors apperently but hasn't been altered yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.