Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caramel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
My 'fairly' new iPOd 4g randomly pauses in the middle of songs. .. . I'll be walking to class and i'll have it in my pocked (yes its locked don't even think i'm that dumb) and it will pause. So i unlock it and hit play, lock it and put it back in my pocket. *PAUSE* so then i 'restart' it, and its fine, and then a few days later it will act up again. I've also noticed that it does it when its uplocked and sitting on the desk and i pick it up, and it pauses...

does anyone else have this problem or is my iPod taken on a mind of its own?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've got a 4G too.

I get the same problem sometimes when I take it running. It freezes on a song for up to about ten minutes and it usually needs a restart. I don't think it likes getting knocked around. More specifically, it has a buffer and it writes to this buffer when it can (it knows the songs you'll be listening to for the next x minutes) but if you go and surprise it by selecting a song that wasn't on the buffer while the hard drive is getting jerked around, it'll almost always screw up. :(

Another thing to watch for is if the headphones jump out, it'll automatically pause itself.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I too have a 4g 30Gb iPod Photo and it has done the same on a few occasions. I had it hooked up to a stereo and had it set on the tv between the two main floor speakers. After perhaps 15 minutes of playing it randomly paused. I went over, saw nothing wrong, checked the cable (still seated) and hit play. A few minutes later, perhaps only 2 or 3, the same pause.

I felt the top of the tv and since the floor speakers were blarring and the tv between them, there was quite a vibration at the top of the tele which I assume ran out the buffer and caused it to pause. Perhaps my assumption is wrong, but that is what I blame the pause on.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
efoto, unless you listen to incredibly loud and bouncy music I really don't think sitting it on a table should crash it. Maybe take it into your local Apple store and get them to check it out, you might get a replacement out of this.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
mad jew said:
efoto, unless you listen to incredibly loud and bouncy music I really don't think sitting it on a table should crash it. Maybe take it into your local Apple store and get them to check it out, you might get a replacement out of this.

Well thankfully that usually does not happen. We were moving out of our apartment and since we were each in our rooms, and the big stereo was in the living quarters, the music was extremely loud. I have had it atop a tv and even a speaker at home and it is fine.

I think that the occasion when moving out of the apartment was a special one *knock on wood*. If it happens again atop a desk or table where it just randomly happens and its not the headphone cable, I will definitely bring it in.

gdogg16

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
My 4g IPOD does the same thing. When you pull the plug out of the head phone jack, it pauses the IPOD. My thought is that this is wearing out and causing the IPOD to pause randomly. It drives me friggin nuts. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this feature?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Wow, I had the same problem on the plane back from Raleigh on Friday. All of a sudden, my iPod was pausing randomly on a couple of songs. At first, I thought it was the headphones being lose, but I jiggled and nothing paused. So I then assumed a problem with the song file or something, but it happened on more than one song. A bug?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
gdogg16 said:
My 4g IPOD does the same thing. When you pull the plug out of the head phone jack, it pauses the IPOD. My thought is that this is wearing out and causing the IPOD to pause randomly. It drives me friggin nuts. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this feature?

There's no way to disable the feature.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
This is definitely a bug. I remember the same bug existing in my 3G iPod back when I originally bought it, but since then with the few updates that have happened, all is well and it doesn't pause randomly. If enough people complain or demand a replacement iPod because of the bug, Apple will fix it.

Or it could be a bug in the latest iPod update, which is a good possibility, and if it bugs you enough, you should revert back to the last update and ditch the new one.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Hmm, I guess I have the opposite problem. The headphone detect function on my 60G photo has worked exactly once that I know of. Now it thinks the headphones are always in, so it never pauses when I take them out. Running the diagnostic mode with nothing in the jack gives a result that it thinks something's connected. I suppose one of these days I'll take it to the Apple Store to see about getting it fixed, as it's a totally demonstrable defect...

Just as long as fixing it doesn't cause this pause problem to crop up! :eek: ;)

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
This is a common problem if your headphone jack for your earbuds/headphones/earphones is gold plated. If it's silver, you shouldn't be having problems. Gold jacks can have contact problems.

A crude but effective fix is to poke the headphone jack through a film of plastic or tape, so that the extruding plug is through the tape, but the ring around the plug is behind the tape and does not come in contact with the iPod's headphone jack.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Some headphone jacks don't fit the iPod too well, and sometimes the iPod thinks the headphones have been removed when they haven't. There is a workaround if you have the sport case for the iPod shuffle. This comes with a 4 inch extension lead which does provide a close fit for the iPod. Using that between the iPod and the headphones can often fix this problem.

However I do wish they'd make this pause on removal feature optional; I find it is more trouble than it's worth.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
My iPod is doing this too. But not with the apple earbuds, only with some headphones I just bought. The weird part is if I wiggle the cord a bit it pauses like it thinks they were disconnected or something but if I pull the cord halfway out it doesn't pause, so it's not like it's just right on the threshold between connected and not. So is this a problem with the headphone? Any ideas? (The iPod is a 30GB Photo and the headphones are Maxell HP/NC-II)

tommy.hanks

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
Tampa, FL
Had the same exact problem in my car. I have an Aux Input into my stereo that plugs into my ipod. I WAS using a RadioShack cable to do this. I changed it out for a belkin cable and everything is peachy again.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
Does anyone have any ideas my my iPod (30GB Photo) would pause like the headphones are disconnected when the cord is wiggled? It doesn't pause when I'm pulling it out until it's pretty mucht he whole way out, so it doesn't seem like a loose connection. Also it's not with my apple earbuds it's with a some other headphones. Any ideas? It's quite bothersome.

angelove

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2005
Astral Cars-
I am having the same problem with my ipod mini when using my sennheiser earphones. While using it, it suddenly pauses.It also pauses when I wiggle the cord but the ipod does not pause when I remove the cord. I find this really disturbing also. Any ideas?

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
I'm planning on returning my headphones, but what I'm not sure about is whether I'm going to have to same problem if I buy the same kind again. Is it specifically this pair causing the problem or would it be any of this kind? I'm rather sure it's not the iPod because it doesn't do it with the apple headphones.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
I have a 6GB ipod and my beloved Sennheiser PX200s, and the pausing problems happens to me at least 8 times an album.

It's horrible. The auto-pause is the worst feature EVER invented in the history of mankind. And that includes SPAMwich and the crazy frog ringtone.

I wonder if the nano will have the same problem... does it classify as 4G?

Boxster1

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
DC
My 20GB has the same problem.....

..... but I don't think it's the headphones.
My iPod pauses whether I use Apple headphones or not and even their own cables! It pauses with my iTrip, the Apple cable when it's hooked up to my stereo and even with my Apple headphones.
I think there's a glitch somewhere and it's really annoying. Has anyone found a solution that has worked?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
conditionals said:
I wonder if the nano will have the same problem... does it classify as 4G?

I notice that on the nano the headphone jack is a tighter fit than the other iPods I have used (may just be my unit of course), so hopefully this won't happen with 3rd party phones.

I still wish you could switch off the auto-pause feature though.

Boxster1

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
DC
Don't celebrate just yet...

... mine didn't start pausing until after about 6 months to a year.
Hopefully they have fixed the problem though. It would be nice to know that they are figuring out solutions to their glitches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.