Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazzy150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I feel really embarassed to ask this,but what does the option key look like on a macbook and where is it?I am really new to mac as i have never used a mac in my life.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mazzy

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
mazzy150 said:
I feel really embarassed to ask this,but what does the option key look like on a macbook and where is it?I am really new to mac as i have never used a mac in my life.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mazzy

It's the key that says "option" :)

It's on the bottom row, two keys to the left of the space bar. Should say "alt" at the top and "option" at the bottom.

MikeStevens

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
Options / Alt

I have a new MacBook and the Alt key has "alt" at the top and a character that looks like a bath at the bottom. It doesn't have the word "Options" on it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
keyboard667.jpg

148252507_bd4097423c.jpg

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I have a new MacBook and the Alt key has "alt" at the top and a character that looks like a bath at the bottom. It doesn't have the word "Options" on it.

Yes, that's the Alt/Option key. That little symbol is Apple's "option" symbol. You'll see it in some of the menus at the top of the screen.

stryving

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Another Mac user

Hello -

I am also a new MacBook user finally crossing over after years and years of PC-ing in my life. I also did not know where the 'options' key was. Even the help files and other stuff only mention the graphic symbol and the alt designation.

Any way, it's refreshing to try something new once in a while, even if it's a laptop that's a Mac.

Enjoy!!!:)

Jardange

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Option key

Duh, thanks for answering this query.

The option key on my Macbook has kept its secret well ... masquerading as the alt key with no mention of 'option' at all - just a strange hieroglyph.

Maccy34

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
It's the key that says "option" :)

It's on the bottom row, two keys to the left of the space bar. Should say "alt" at the top and "option" at the bottom.
[doublepost=1456232401][/doublepost]'Should' being the operative word here. There is no key on my MacBook that is marked OPTIONS but thanks to others who answered this question by explaining that the Alt key is the same. Why is there no consistency here?

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
[doublepost=1456232401][/doublepost]'Should' being the operative word here. There is no key on my MacBook that is marked OPTIONS but thanks to others who answered this question by explaining that the Alt key is the same. Why is there no consistency here?

It depends on the language your keyboard was designed for. US English keyboards always have habe a key labeled "option" with no symbol. Most non-US keyboards just have the ⌥ symbol, and no text label.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.